Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced a new partnership with SAP to "revolutionize" the mobile work experience for its enterprise customers by combining native iPhone and iPad apps with the SAP HANA Cloud Platform. Under the partnership, Apple and SAP will create a new software development kit and training academy to help developers and enterprise customers create tailored business-focused iOS apps.

applesap.png
"This partnership will transform how iPhone and iPad are used in enterprise by bringing together the innovation and security of iOS with SAP's deep expertise in business software," said Tim Cook, Apple's CEO. "As the leader in enterprise software and with 76% of business transactions touching an SAP system, SAP is the ideal partner to help us truly transform how businesses around the world are run on iPhone and iPad. Through the new SDK, we're empowering SAP's more than 2.5 million developers to build powerful native apps that fully leverage SAP HANA Cloud Platform and tap into the incredible capabilities that only iOS devices can deliver."
The new SAP HANA Cloud Platform SDK will be developed exclusively for iOS and will give enterprise customers simple tools for "quickly and efficiently" building apps for iPhone and iPad based on the SAP HANA Cloud Platform. According to the press release, the native apps will provide access to core data and business processes on SAP HANA while also taking advantage of Apple hardware features like Touch ID, Location Services, and Notifications.

Under the partnership, a new SAP Fiori iOS design language will be created, and SAP will also develop a suite of native iOS apps for "critical business operations" built on Apple's Swift programming language.

Article Link: Apple and SAP Announce New Enterprise Partnership

Reactions: appledefenceforce

selfsilent

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2014
The company I work for used to use SAP until another company took over. It was crap but I think it can be changed depending on the usage for the company so I suspect it was just badly implemented.

daftpunker909

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2012
My company uses SAP software and the user interface is absolutely horrendous. Looks like software designed in the 90s. Isn't Salesforce a competitor? Too bad they didn't partner.

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
IBM are going to feel hurt.

Nope. Totally different markets. SAP writes software (payroll, purchasing, sales orders, etc.) you run your company on (ERP). IBM customizes, installs and maintains the software for your particular company, sets it up on IBM servers, OS, and databases. There's a huge amount of business-specific customization you need.

Three141

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2016
London
Business objects which SAP bought is actually good, if they can refresh their accounting package particularly the interface this could work.

MagMan1979

macrumors regular
May 4, 2015
My god, I thought this was "Mac"Rumours, not TrollCentral... The amount of uneducated BS vitriol being spewed here lately is mind-numbing...

This is a big deal, as SAP is widely used by multiple organizations of varying sizes, including IBM. A partnership here can only propel the iOS platform in enterprise to even more expansive heights than it already is, and also help to accelerate iPad adoption in enterprise.

The only BS here is the trash being spewed by those sitting behind their keyboards pretending to be some kind of cyber columnist or warrior against the vile of Tim Cook, pathetic.

Barry Bishop

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2015
I am curious what the cost is going to be and hows it going to be passed to the business. If you are using SAP or Oracle and you have a maintenance contract built, you should checkout Rimini Street, totally worth it, take that savings an reinvest into something useful

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Maybe for the smaller scale use of SAP or Mac centric shops.
For most enterprise level, MS is the platform driver and SAP is set to run on it. I don't see doing two sets of development: one for MS and one for iOS.
Maybe Hanna or older style BW or other reporting? To me this looks like a headline with not a lot of significant future use.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
The company I work for used to use SAP until another company took over. It was crap but I think it can be changed depending on the usage for the company so I suspect it was just badly implemented.
Well, it's just extremely complicated and abstract if you are not familiar with it. That's why those folks make the big bucks.
IMO, SAP it's a pain in the neck.

Barry Bishop

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2015
My god, I thought this was "Mac"Rumours, not TrollCentral... The amount of uneducated BS vitriol being spewed here lately is mind-numbing...

This is a big deal, as SAP is widely used by multiple organizations of varying sizes, including IBM. A partnership here can only propel the iOS platform in enterprise to even more expansive heights than it already is, and also help to accelerate iPad adoption in enterprise.

The only BS here is the trash being spewed by those sitting behind their keyboards pretending to be some kind of cyber columnist or warrior against the vile of Tim Cook, pathetic.

SAP is huge thats for sure and thousands of companies do use SAP or Oracle in their business is very true. The Partnership can go one of two ways, lets not just assume it will be great. Plenty of enterprises use iPad's and Apple devices right now, before this partnership. I've seen what SAP has done with their apps. Its cool, game changing...maybe, but like with everything we will have to see, time will tell.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I've used SAP. They design software with I guess powerful features, with interfaces sprouting millions of buttons. The experience is terribly ordinary. Hmmm, what to make of this.

My company uses SAP software and the user interface is absolutely horrendous. Looks like software designed in the 90s. Isn't Salesforce a competitor? Too bad they didn't partner.

SAP has likely realized that they need the likes of Apple to clean up their software and make it more user-friendly. That's what their users are now demanding thanks to being enlightened by Apple tech away from work.

I agree, Blackberry stop innovating, and Apple really has slowed down too!

Easy to make that claim. What do you expect? Today's technology is amazing, and there's a lot more going on than we consumers/users see.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place

Vitriolic post bemoaning vitriol:rolleyes:
pot_kettle.jpg

On topic: It's good to see Apple trying to make enterprise a viable part of it's growth strategy for the future. It's especially encouraging for iPads since that category needs a boost like no other in Apple's stable. Hopefully, this enterprise push isn't a day late/dollar short.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.