Apple and SAP Announce New Enterprise Partnership

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 5, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today announced a new partnership with SAP to "revolutionize" the mobile work experience for its enterprise customers by combining native iPhone and iPad apps with the SAP HANA Cloud Platform. Under the partnership, Apple and SAP will create a new software development kit and training academy to help developers and enterprise customers create tailored business-focused iOS apps.

[​IMG]
    The new SAP HANA Cloud Platform SDK will be developed exclusively for iOS and will give enterprise customers simple tools for "quickly and efficiently" building apps for iPhone and iPad based on the SAP HANA Cloud Platform. According to the press release, the native apps will provide access to core data and business processes on SAP HANA while also taking advantage of Apple hardware features like Touch ID, Location Services, and Notifications.

Under the partnership, a new SAP Fiori iOS design language will be created, and SAP will also develop a suite of native iOS apps for "critical business operations" built on Apple's Swift programming language.

Article Link: Apple and SAP Announce New Enterprise Partnership

2. SSD-GUY macrumors 6502a

3. wynhou macrumors newbie

Apple is now the BlackBerry of the future.

4. blackcrayon macrumors 68000

Looks like IBM and SAP are already partners, so maybe there's some 3-way business action to it all.

5. selfsilent macrumors regular

The company I work for used to use SAP until another company took over. It was crap but I think it can be changed depending on the usage for the company so I suspect it was just badly implemented.

6. smacrumon macrumors 68030

smacrumon

I've used SAP. They design software with I guess powerful features, with interfaces sprouting millions of buttons. The experience is terribly ordinary. Hmmm, what to make of this.

7. daftpunker909 macrumors regular

My company uses SAP software and the user interface is absolutely horrendous. Looks like software designed in the 90s. Isn't Salesforce a competitor? Too bad they didn't partner.

8. Jakexb macrumors 6502a

I can't tell if you mean that in a good way or a bad way.

9. Urban Joe Suspended

10. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

Magical / "Revolutionize" and AAPL drops further - now under $93/share. Cook is looking like he is running on empty - his BS is not flying with anyone other than Cook Kool Aid drinkers.

11. konqerror macrumors 6502

Nope. Totally different markets. SAP writes software (payroll, purchasing, sales orders, etc.) you run your company on (ERP). IBM customizes, installs and maintains the software for your particular company, sets it up on IBM servers, OS, and databases. There's a huge amount of business-specific customization you need.

12. keifer.street macrumors regular

I'm super excited about this. I'm an SAP IT Analyst so having my favorite company collaborate with a platform I use every day is an fascinating prospect.

13. smacrumon macrumors 68030

smacrumon

UPDATE: Developers reporting new key in iOS 10 beta "willPrintDotMatrixSAP".
    It appears, as suspected, a dot matrix printer accessory for SAP and iPhone 7 is confirmed.

14. Three141 macrumors 6502

Three141

Business objects which SAP bought is actually good, if they can refresh their accounting package particularly the interface this could work.

15. MagMan1979 macrumors member

MagMan1979

My god, I thought this was "Mac"Rumours, not TrollCentral... The amount of uneducated BS vitriol being spewed here lately is mind-numbing...

This is a big deal, as SAP is widely used by multiple organizations of varying sizes, including IBM. A partnership here can only propel the iOS platform in enterprise to even more expansive heights than it already is, and also help to accelerate iPad adoption in enterprise.

The only BS here is the trash being spewed by those sitting behind their keyboards pretending to be some kind of cyber columnist or warrior against the vile of Tim Cook, pathetic.

16. Barry Bishop macrumors member

Barry Bishop

I am curious what the cost is going to be and hows it going to be passed to the business. If you are using SAP or Oracle and you have a maintenance contract built, you should checkout Rimini Street, totally worth it, take that savings an reinvest into something useful

17. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

sitting on a beach watching a DC simulation ...
    Maybe for the smaller scale use of SAP or Mac centric shops.
    For most enterprise level, MS is the platform driver and SAP is set to run on it. I don't see doing two sets of development: one for MS and one for iOS.
    Maybe Hanna or older style BW or other reporting? To me this looks like a headline with not a lot of significant future use.

18. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

Well, it's just extremely complicated and abstract if you are not familiar with it. That's why those folks make the big bucks.
    IMO, SAP it's a pain in the neck.

19. Barry Bishop macrumors member

Barry Bishop

SAP is huge thats for sure and thousands of companies do use SAP or Oracle in their business is very true. The Partnership can go one of two ways, lets not just assume it will be great. Plenty of enterprises use iPad's and Apple devices right now, before this partnership. I've seen what SAP has done with their apps. Its cool, game changing...maybe, but like with everything we will have to see, time will tell.

20. pondhopper macrumors member

pondhopper

somebody is about to become the sculley of apple.

21. Soccertess macrumors 65816

I agree, Blackberry stop innovating, and Apple really has slowed down too!

22. mcfrazieriv macrumors 6502a

mcfrazieriv

Apple becomes less and less liberal arts meets technology.

23. CFreymarc Suspended

Steve Jobs was working for years to get an SAP deal going since the 90's. Who compromised the most for this to happen?

24. coolfactor macrumors 601

SAP has likely realized that they need the likes of Apple to clean up their software and make it more user-friendly. That's what their users are now demanding thanks to being enlightened by Apple tech away from work.

Easy to make that claim. What do you expect? Today's technology is amazing, and there's a lot more going on than we consumers/users see.

25. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

Vitriolic post bemoaning vitriol:rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

On topic: It's good to see Apple trying to make enterprise a viable part of it's growth strategy for the future. It's especially encouraging for iPads since that category needs a boost like no other in Apple's stable. Hopefully, this enterprise push isn't a day late/dollar short.