Apple and Sirius Merger

Discussion in 'iPod' started by econoar, Apr 10, 2007.

1. econoar macrumors regular

Hey guys, long time lurker here. I just came up with my own idea for Apple and the direction of the iPod. Let me know what you think...

Read on...

2. Dead EditHer macrumors newbie

Not to rain on your parade, but this has been tossed around before, and for several years. Big problem with a merge is cost, putting the equipment for satellite in a iPod would drive the price of one sky high, not to metion the fact that XM and Sirius have their own R&D departments making their own handhelds in house, I don't think they would be willing to give Apple the access they would want to develop a device without their input.

3. econoar thread starter macrumors regular

I would think the 2 R and D's would work together.

4. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

While I agree with your conclusion that any such merger would be a problem, I do not agree with the basis upon which you made your conclusion. Specifically, I do not think the reluctance would be a result of the cost associated with such a step, Sirius would actually be relatively cheap compared to most mergers taking place today. The problem would most likely be the significant regulatory constraints imposed and the understandable fear of antitrust litigation resulting.

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

It would not be a merger but more of a license agreement.

6. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Interesting idea econoar. Being able to play satellite Radio on my iPod would be nice. :)

Good point. :)