Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A few readers have noted that Apple is listed at CES, but the registration reveals Sling Media's address. Sling Media produces the Slingbox, device that allows you to watch your shows from your television over the internet.

Of course, some people have drawn bold conclusions from this, but it may simply be Apple demoing Mac support. Slingbox appears to have 5 booths at CES, but only one listing Apple.

AtHomeBoy_2000

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2005

Of course, some people have drawn bold conclusions from this, but it may simply be Apple demoing Mac support. Slingbox appears to have 5 booths at CES, but only one listing Apple.

I would tend to believe this part. No need to jump to silly conclusions.

Oh wait, this is a Mac rumors website.... HOLY HELL! APPLE IS BUYING SLINGBOX! OR IS SLINGBOX BUYING APPLE!? I CANT WAIT!" ;)

uNext

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2006
My birthday is on the 9th yay

Im waiting for apple to release something fantastic to go with the awesome day.

G3blues

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2006
Its probably nothing, but maybe Steve will slap an "apple inside" sticker on a Sling box and call it the iTV. (Hoping everyone forgets the sleek piece of hardware he showed off last time)

virus1

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2004
LOST
yeah, if anything, it is itv support. possibly including the slingbox software? possibly they work together?

i dunno. it may just be nothing..

codeman93

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2006
Maybe it's just a mistake, and Sling Media's contact info was entered under the name "Apple" as well as "Sling".

juniormaj

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2001
Newbury Park, CA
Its probably nothing, but maybe Steve will slap an "apple inside" sticker on a Sling box and call it the iTV. (Hoping everyone forgets the sleek piece of hardware he showed off last time)

...except that the iTV and Slingbox are 180 degree opposites.

The Slingbox sends content ----> your computer where as the iTV is meant to pull content from your computer and show it on your TV (if I understand correctly).
The multiple Slingbox models have either a cable tuner or A/V inputs as well as an IR blaster to control whatever device (TiVo, etc.) is feeding it content.

The Mac OSX version of the SlingPlayer software has been in Beta for most of 2006. Maybe they are ready to release the final version, or maybe the iTV will have some sort of interoperability with it.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills

The Slingbox sends content ----> your computer where as the iTV is meant to pull content from your computer and show it on your TV (if I understand correctly).
The multiple Slingbox models have either a cable tuner or A/V inputs as well as an IR blaster to control whatever device (TiVo, etc.) is feeding it content.

The Mac OSX version of the SlingPlayer software has been in Beta for most of 2006. Maybe they are ready to release the final version, or maybe the iTV will have some sort of interoperability with it.

Damn beat me to it... was gonna say almost the exact same thing. What would be interesting is if it was incorporated and that is the reason why slingmedia took so long to come out with a not even a release but a beta. Apple took over Slingmedia last year, but slingmedia had already debuted their software running on a Mac. Since we now had a taste for it we were viciously demanding it (just look at the slingcommunity threads.... pre beta mac release). So instead of waiting for January 9th to let Apple unveil an amazing product with sling compatibleness they had to let slingmedia release the beta to not hurt the companies reputation.

What a perfect way to break in to the windows users. To take the slingbox and go one step further. Yes you stream you do all that junk but also you bring everything right to your home TV.

Still its just Slingbox probably just showing they do have Mac compatible software out there. Probably won't even have the real deal there. I bet it'll still be in beta...

mountanlad

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2007
How hard is it to stream video wirelessly back to a computer?

How hard is it to stream video wirelessly back to a computer?

If the iTV (I'm going with the name "iHub") was able to stream video from your computer to your TV AND send your TV signal wirelessly to your Mac, it would make the iTV as revolutionary a product as the iPod.

The Mac would become a DVR, like with the Slingbox or EyeTV. However, the iTV could be user-friendly, wireless and tightly integrated with both iTunes and the iPod. Free shows on your iPod, anyone?

Of course, this feature would conflict with content already available from the iTunes Store – I'm sure NBC and ABC could be angry as heck if Apple made it possible to record their shows for free and put them on an iPod. Then again, Apple is making its money on the iPod, not on the iTunes Store. And, with this feature, the iTV could be just as profitable a product.

Would recording television shows over the iTV for free be so different from importing songs from a CD?

I know Phil Schiller said a year ago they didn't want to replace TiVo, but, my question is –*if you can send the signal wirelessly one way, why can't they send the signal wirelessly in the other direction?

If this feature isn't in the first generation of the iHub, how about the 2nd generation?

Okay, I'll officially make the first prediction of Macworld 2008/2009 – a 2nd generation iHub capable of streaming video to the Mac/PC. I know, it's wrong to speculate and sick to think that far ahead. I couldn't help it, it just seemed like such a fun idea.

iPegboy

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2003
Detroit
yeah, most likely more support from Apple. Does anyone have a slingbox? i'm curious on how well it works? it sounds cool, but I don't know how highly useful it would be.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
yeah, most likely more support from Apple. Does anyone have a slingbox? i'm curious on how well it works? it sounds cool, but I don't know how highly useful it would be.

I have it. Works pretty good. It's still a beta, but you really can't tell... The real problem is not with them but with the internet. If you don't have a fast internet at home (which I don't) where the slingbox is sitting then your picture quality and sound quality can be horrible. You can watch TV with a stream of about 300 kbs, but if you can some how get your internet company to have a high upload rate and maybe hit 500 kbs its pretty damn nice then.

If you use it only for home use (LAN) then it can be awesome!. I was getting amazing quality and sound quality when I was back at home. I was getting 1500 kbs.

I love slingbox for the fact that I don't have to pay for cable in my dorm. I just watch everything that is on my TiVo back at home...

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 65832
Aug 1, 2000
id love to see a slingbox client in the apple phone being released or promoted this week at macworld.

:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.