Apple and the Macbook Air, you should know by now

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jolton, Jan 17, 2008.

1. jolton macrumors member

I read all these threads about the MBA. Threads praising, threads flaming, arguing, etc.

But the one thing I keep noticing are people comparing it to Sony's ultra portable, or X company's ultra portable....How could Apple make it with no CD/DVD Drive? How could they make it with only 1usb port? How could they...well you get the point.

But the point I think most people here don't get is this: Apple doesn't think that way. Now hear me out.

You know what the Macbook air reminds me of? The iMac. Why? Well, when that was first being put into production, Steve Jobs made a decision to completely exclude PCI and the ability for the end user to modify, add, or take away from the computer.

Now every one then started comparing it to other computers from other vendors, questioning this move. However that did not matter because the fact is the product was an end result of a vision on how Apple though things should and could be be.

The MBA isn't designed for power users, nor is it designed to be the "smallest laptop in the world" or have a smaller footprint than "x" laptop. It's goal was to be thinner.

The MBA isn't going to be for everyone in the same sense an iMac won't be for everyone. That's why we have other choices within Apple and outside of Apple.

I'm sure if it were up to Apple, and if they could pull it off, there would be 0 ports/plugs on the MBA (or any laptop they offer for that matter).

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

It's a lovely machine that has created a niche of its own. Much more useful than an UMPC, with a world class keyboard, multi-touch and a fantastic display. No other 3lb computer on the planet can claim that.

It is much lighter than a DTR like the MBP and even the MB (though those are incredible machines for their own purposes and markets).

It is the most gorgeous laptop on the planet.

To those who were asking for a new PB12", this thing delivers all of that or more. The PB12" was actually a glorified iBook in Pro clothing. This thing blows its friggin' doors in.