Apple And Thefts

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DryEyez, Jan 23, 2011.

1. DryEyez macrumors 6502

I've been wandering....I currently have an iphone 3g, this is just...dog slow...I've been looking online for a cheap 2nd hand iphone 4, I have actually found one that's only 2 months old but only half the price. My worry is, what is stopping the seller from lying to me. E.g., the phone he is selling me, is on contract and insured, by selling it to me, he can claim it's stolen, and then the phone I bought then becomes useless. Maybe I'm paranoid but how can I protect myself from this?

As a sidenote, I have asked if he has the original receipt, he's said yes, so I guess that's not a problem, but are there any extra precautions I can take?

2. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

You could ask for the serial number of the phone and check with Apple to see if it was reported stolen or has a repair history.

3. DryEyez thread starter macrumors 6502

true, but what I mean to say is, once I buy the phone off him, what's stopping him from just reporting it stolen anyway and then leaving me with a bricked iphone and he gets the insurance money. How can one avoid this. I'm sure this must happen? Especially over ebay or something

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Your paper trail ... create a paper trail and stop wondering, I mean wandering if you'll get screwed.

5. goMac macrumors 603

...this seems like a question one could have about buying absolutely anything.

Just use the same criteria you use with anyone else selling anything. Make sure the guy seems reputable. Get a receipt.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I don't think Apple keeps track of stolen items. There are 3rd parties who do but there is no official "stolen iPhone database" maintained by Apple.

OP, I think it's his problem. He is the one who will be charged with fraud, not you. Like said above, just make sure you get a decent receipt so if he reports it stolen and it ends up being a hassle, you can prove that he was selling it and you paid for it, i.e. you did not steal it.

7. belvdr macrumors 603

In the US, there's a crime called "receiving stolen property" that you could be charged with. As a precaution, if I feel anything is out of order, I pass on it. It's just not worth the risk, when you can pick it up elsewhere.

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Possession of stolen property is a crime in here as well. Most likely you will just have to return it to the original owner if you get caught (assuming the police cannot prove that you knew it was stolen when you bought it). You can then sue the seller to get your money back.

OP said the owner has the receipt so it doesn't sound like a stolen item. As it sounds like the seller is willing to commit an insurance fraud, OP may be considered as an accomplice if they find out he knew what the seller had in his mind.

I would skip that deal, so many fishy smells. What sounds too goo, usually isn't true.