Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today has honored the life of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. with a full-page tribute on its website. A photo of Dr. King is accompanied by a famous quote of his: "The time is always right to do what is right."

apple-mlk-day-2018-800x587.jpg

Apple CEO Tim Cook also shared a quote from Dr. King on Twitter and added "let's find the light and the love, together."

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." Let's find the light and the love, together. #MLK - Tim Cook (@tim_cook) January 15, 2018

Today is Martin Luther King Jr. Day in the United States, a federal holiday in commemoration of his birthday. The iconic leader of the African-American civil rights movement would have turned 89 years old on Monday.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Apple and Tim Cook Honor the Life of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Reactions: MyMacintosh

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
It might mean more than a token if Apple posted this on the front page of every county site it operates. I mean isn't MLK an international icon at this point? It's not like he is some obscure local hero. Why is Apple hiding him away in the U.S. site?

mmm1345

Suspended
Aug 8, 2017
- Apple should stay out of politics.
- Apple should put resources towards updating the Mini or MBP.
- Apple are hypocrites for selling products in countries that don't respect human right the same as we do.

There, I just saved you from reading pages of useless comments.

America no longer has a moral high ground on human rights

Last edited:

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
It might mean more than a token if Apple posted this on the front page of every county site it operates. I mean isn't MLK an international icon at this point? It's not like he is some obscure local hero. Why is Apple hiding him away in the U.S. site?
I assumed most other countries have their own heroes in regards to equality. Either that or they never had an civil rights issue in the first place.

Reactions: tzm41

MLVC

macrumors demi-god
Apr 30, 2015
Maastricht, The Netherlands

With all do respect but I don't really think he's an international icon. He should be, but honestly I doubt that much of the rest of the world even knows it's MLK day today. Much as the US hardly has any clue about national holidays of other countries.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
You think apple is hiding (and can hide) Martin Luther King?

Reactions: MLVC

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I assumed most other countries have their own heroes in regards to equality. Either that or they never had an civil rights issue in the first place.

1. Yes, not all civil rights heroes or even heroes in general are American. But the world shares it's heroes when they have a universal, human, message we can all learn from. Ghandi had a huge impact on MLK. We learn from true leaders, regardless of their nationality.

2. Whether other countries have local civil rights heroes is irrelevant. It's not a zero-sum game.

3. If you think there are countries in the world that have never had civil rights issues then you haven't studied history or traveled much.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
You think apple is hiding (and can hide) Martin Luther King?

I think when you or anyone else goes to any Apple site today other than the U.S. one there is no MLK splash. It's just business as usually. OTOH when Jobs passed away every Apple site worldwide had a Jobs memorial splash. So yes, I think it's a fair question as to why Apple doesn't feature MLK on the front page world wide. I have a theory. I think you know what it is too because Apple definitely kow tows to countries where basic human and civil rights are non-existent.

Of course Apple cannot hide MLK, but they can choose to not promote him where doing so wouldn't be good for business. So they limit the celebration to the US page to give it plausible deniability that its a U.S. thing. I call B.S.

asiga

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2012
Forget every troll-user you ever saw in a forum. Say hello to Tim Cook. He cannot say a single word that isn't forwarded directly to the off-topic subforum. I cannot do it better. Even bots cannot do it better. And all of this, happening just while Apple is becoming less and less about technology and computers, and more and more about social engineering.

Reactions: Kris28

Superhappytree

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
Cumbria
If things were different and he never died, I can pretty much bet that Steve Jobs’ Twitter account would be far more interesting than Tim’s. I highly doubt he’d be tweeting about politics either, although I’m pretty sure he’d stay the hell off social media anyway.

Last edited:

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
With all do respect but I don't really think he's an international icon. He should be, but honestly I doubt that much of the rest of the world even knows it's MLK day today. Much as the US hardly has any clue about national holidays of other countries.

I don't care about your respect, but your facts are wrong because MLK is honored by streets and statues outside North America on 3 other continents. MLK day is recognized in parts of Japan, in Toronto, and services are held in many European countries.

But even if that was not true, his words SHOULD be heard and read by all. MLK was speaking to all humankind, just in America, to the current American problem. But he intended his worlds for everyone around the world, so, again, why isn't Apple promoting his words today on all its sites. Even if he is obscure to many -- heck Thomas Jefferson is obscure to many Americans -- true words still ring true.

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
1. Yes, not all civil rights heroes or even heroes in general are American. But the world shares it's heroes when they have a universal, human, message we can all learn from. Ghandi had a huge impact on MLK. We learn from true leaders, regardless of their nationality.

2. Whether other countries have local civil rights heroes is irrelevant. It's not a zero-sum game.

3. If you think there are countries in the world that have never had civil rights issues then you haven't studied history or traveled much.
History was never my strong suit but even in my college courses, I only hear about the same issues in the same countries only being expanded upon. What does surprise me is that some of the international students are completely oblivious to MLK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.