Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
What's the point in teaching them iMovie? Just have them use FCPX. That's just as kid friendly, and Apple can potentially make 300$ off many of them... which was their goal in making FCPX right?

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
Whoever made that graphic needs to go back to graphic design school. The "apple camp" inside the movie board should be tilted at the same angle as the board "constellation"

I might agree. I like the rest of it though.

tdream

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
Clever Apple execs, copying the McDonalds mantra... indoctrinate while young :cool:

Sewing the consumer seeds for the future.

Astroexe

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2012
Netherlands
Whoever made that graphic needs to go back to graphic design school. The "apple camp" inside the movie board should be tilted at the same angle as the board "constellation"

No, the stars need to be more evenly distributed so it doesn't look like the only stars in the sky happen to be the ones making the board, and the Logo needs to be in a different font [a display "scratchy" one for example, on an angle] to complement the standard text. Actually, the entire design isn't arranged in any sort of method and therefore doesn't look very appealing at all.

diamornte

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2009
This may result in more unemployed, self-proclaimed hipster "filmmakers" uploading trash to Vimeo.

Truth! Just what this country needs, more kids aspiring to the creative arts.

"In 2009 the U.S. graduated 89,140 students in the visual and performing arts, more than in computer science, math and chemical engineering combined and more than double the number of visual and performing arts graduates in 1985."

http://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2011/11/college-has-been-oversold.html

bjett92

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Indy, IN
I remember going to these! Back when I went though, they had a camp for each of the iLife products. I went to iWeb and iMovie. Good times! Actually where I first fell in love with Macs.

blumpkin

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009

What if they did it on purpose? Instead just using it as a border.

Getitdone

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2012
I'm still at least 12 years away from having kids that could do this, I imagine, but I'm curious anyways... Are there any parents on the forums that send their kids to these? Any thoughts on it... Impacts on the kid, impacts on you and your spouse?

Is it normal for parents to stick around or do they just drop off the kids, take off for 90 minutes, and return to pick them up?

I just signed my niece up for this camp. A parent/guardian must stay there with them during the camp - which I have no problem doing.

I think that kids who have a genuine interest or curiosity get a lot out of the camps. Two of my older nephews did them in the past - one had a blast, the other really wasn't into it as much.

bdkennedy1

Suspended
Oct 24, 2002
I was just going to post this. Thanks! Grrrr Apple.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Truth! Just what this country needs, more kids aspiring to the creative arts.

"In 2009 the U.S. graduated 89,140 students in the visual and performing arts, more than in computer science, math and chemical engineering combined and more than double the number of visual and performing arts graduates in 1985."

http://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2011/11/college-has-been-oversold.html

I'm surprised in this economy and political mess people are graduating at all, who can afford ~$400k for higher education (not including materials and living expenses)? If you're even lucky to qualify for a student loan at ~29% interest rates.

BoT, it's a great idea, we need to inspire and educate our children more in this nation. It seems we've lost the spark we once had. I remember in the '90's VH1 was working with musicians to support the arts as public funding for creative arts was being cut at a rapid rate. It's good to know it's done a 180 since.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
what about camp for adult film making? wait.. that didn't come out right... I meant camp for adults that want to make films.

powers74

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2008
At the bend in the river

As a graphic designer I noticed that, but then realized what the concept was; the stars in the sky just happen to be in the shape of a movie board and the dots are simply connected. So it's a "coincidence", not an actual movie board, hence the reason for the Apple logo and type being horizontal... That and it's not very "Apple" to have tilted type....

Er... or were you being sarcastic?

ristlin

Mar 29, 2012
We are becoming a country of baristas.

220px-Gwilym_Davies.jpg

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
I this camp idea is a nice start, but I think Apple needs to leverage this into being at the forefront of decentralized film production & distribution.

Something like a content creation portal where users can buy and sell their wares and services and productions, from investment capital to props & actors to animation, effects, editors & post mixing, to allow people to get their films made and distribute them to audiences via iTunes.

foodog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Atlanta, GA

My youngest son did this a few years ago and had a great time.

----------

I this camp idea is a nice start, but I think Apple needs to leverage this into being at the forefront of decentralized film production & distribution.

Something like a content creation portal where users can buy and sell their wares and services and productions, from investment capital to props & actors to animation, effects, editors & post mixing, to allow people to get their films made and distribute them to audiences via iTunes.

Its for 8 to 12 year olds

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.