MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple today announced on its MobileMe News page that Live Chat support for MobileMe is now available in English 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
If you encounter an issue while using MobileMe and would like to address it immediately, simply go to MobileMe support. Click on the topics at the bottom left of the page to see if your question has already been answered. If it's not, click the Chat Now button to initiate a realtime help session with a MobileMe support agent.
Apple received significant criticism upon the initial launch of MobileMe last summer due to numerous issues that ultimately led to an acknowledgement of the problems from Steve Jobs and multiple free extensions of service to affected users. While Apple was able to work through its early issues, it has also continued to tweak performance and add features to the service.

Article Link: Apple Announces 24/7 MobileMe Live Chat Support

ibosie

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
London
I had occasion to use this live chat thing in the Autumn last year, it's very nice to have when you need quick answers or something sorting there and then. I was trying to move an old .Mac email-only account into a new Mobile Me family pack but it wasn't working through the web interface. The person on the end of live chat sorted it out in no time ..."try again" he wrote; I did and it worked.

Comment

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
I have been very happy with MobileMe. Sounds like a good feature to have for users.

Comment

Eduardo1971

macrumors demi-god
Jun 16, 2006
Lost Angeles, Ca. usa
This being a rumour site...I wonder what Apple is cooking up? I mean why this now? I've had this service for almost three years, what finally compelled Apple to have 24/7 support just months shy of the new iPhone hardware?

Makes me wonder what will Apple release with the new phone?

Comment

Achiever

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2008
Glad to see they are investing in this. Hopefully they also invest some money in making the browser apps work as mine are more than a little subpar when I try to log in and use them at work.

Comment

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Why would it be dead?

Because it is a paid service, in the world where the web 2.0 services are supported by ads instead, paid services are being out-competed by multiple free services and in this case for mobileme, google's services, MS's Live Services and Zoho and so on.

Comment

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
Why would it be dead?

I don't think it will die out but I think they're going to have keep adding stuff to make it worthwhile for NEW customers. I get the feeling that once they have you hooked-in (much like everything Apple), it's tough to justify cancelling it (tougher for some more than others I'm sure) but for someone looking at it as a prospective customer, I'm not sure if it's entirely worth it for as many people as it could with more additions.

Comment

LimeiBook86

macrumors 604
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Finally!

Since Apple does not have phone support for MobileMe issues, the only support in the past has been email and posting on their forums. A live chat is much better for a quick response and help when you need it. I'm happy Apple has finally done this, it's way overdue, but at least we have it now. :)

Comment

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
This being a rumour site...I wonder what Apple is cooking up? I mean why this now? I've had this service for almost three years, what finally compelled Apple to have 24/7 support just months shy of the new iPhone hardware?

Makes me wonder what will Apple release with the new phone?

Maybe this exists now (but not to my knowledge) but an easy way to access and play files stored on the mobile me drive natively... now that I think about, I think I remember seeing apps that will do this, but it'd be interesting to see how Apple would implement it (if they were to)

Comment

Goona

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
Because it is a paid service, in the world where the web 2.0 services are supported by ads instead, paid services are being out-competed by multiple free services and in this case for mobileme, google's services, MS's Live Services and Zoho and so on.

But those services don't do everything Mobileme does and you have to get them from different vendors, a confusing mess.

Comment

Goona

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
I don't think it will die out but I think they're going to have keep adding stuff to make it worthwhile for NEW customers. I get the feeling that once they have you hooked-in (much like everything Apple), it's tough to justify cancelling it (tougher for some more than others I'm sure) but for someone looking at it as a prospective customer, I'm not sure if it's entirely worth it for as many people as it could with more additions.

But they are adding things, they just added the new feature with Time Capsule, and it seems with 3.0 it will bring new features for iphone owners.

Comment

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
But those services don't do everything Mobileme does and you have to get them from different vendors, a confusing mess.

But they're all free and I don't think people have any problems using many different vendors to complete their own MobileMe's replacement. I did not say Mobileme is not worth the cost, i am simply answering the question somebody asked which is why MobileMe could be dead. It is 100$ per year compared to free.

Comment

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
But they are adding things, they just added the new feature with Time Capsule, and it seems with 3.0 it will bring new features for iphone owners.

Which is why in my opinion, the more services they add to MobileMe, the more it will be worth the cost. They have to keep adding features, include iwork.com services free, and many more. They could seriously compete against Google on that front but so far, they aren't there yet.

Look back at the initial launch of MobileMe, it would definitely not worth the cost. Now... it is looking far better.

Comment

eff pc

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
i never had a .mac account but when i got my first mac (the day the 3g, mobile, and mass technical breakdown occured) i also got mobile me mainly for push email for my iphone and calendar sync. after i set it up (which cause of all the problems took a while) i started finding a bunch of awesome features (i use idisk to save everything). can't wait for the "find my iphone" feature but hopefully it's based off the IMEI number and not being set up on the phone so if it is stolen you can track it down even if it's restored to default settings.

Comment

Achiever

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2008
Look back at the initial launch of MobileMe, it would definitely not worth the cost. Now... it is looking far better.

What? How is it "better" than at launch (other than the fact that it works more frequently than it first did). No features have been added, except for the one which allows you to upload large files offsite and allow others to download them from there. But that was not a new feature; that was a feature they showed and announced with the MobileMe intro and then failed to deliver on for more than 7 months after release. Nothing has been added except more consistent usability, which is hardly a selling point. The feature set is still pretty weak overall, especially to those who do not have an iPhone. Many of the features available on MM are available elsewhere for free.

Comment

lovesupreme

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2008
I've really been trying to justify the cost of MobileMe. Am I doing something wrong here? The email is sub-par at best. It's one thing that the "push notifications" don't work, but it doesn't update at all on my phone unless I manually check it. This is a major concern, not just for me, but for mobileMe in general. My free gmail works better across devices than my paid subscription. I think it's a major concern. Not to mentions if you transfer emails from one account to another, the sort order is set to modified date rather than send or received date. Seems like an easy fix, yet there is not dice in that. You have to jump through hoops to get it to sort correctly by making folders, moving emails, moving emails again, etc...

Also, idisk. As great a concept as it is, I would more like to use it for other people to send me large files, not the other way around. Unfortunately, it doesn't happen. There's the bug where when you upload a file, it never tells you that it's done. It wouldn't be so bad if it was for more personal use, but I'm trying to use it for a business. Maybe this is not what it's intended for, but none the less, it does not work a advertised. I've contacted apple about this and they say they are working on it, but I haven't actually seen them acknowledge it at all other than to me. I know this has been an issue for a long time.

Don't get me wrong, I really want to love it. It allows me to securely connect to my Airport from anywhere, which is cool, as well as sync contacts and calendars, but to me (and maybe I'm alone in this), these are secondary things. I can connect to my airport without the service through some port forwarding, and I can pretty easily plug in my iphone to sync.

They should focus on making the main functionality actually functional. Then I could justify the cost. I'm on my second trial, because I wanted to give it a second chance. My end date is in seven days, and I'll probably purchase it, but it is with some major hesitation and pretty much out of laziness to go back and set everything up the way I had it. I just hope they focus on the main points and not so much the secondary frills in the next updates.

Comment

mikeinternet

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2006
Oaklnad, CA
But they're all free and I don't think people have any problems using many different vendors to complete their own MobileMe's replacement. I did not say Mobileme is not worth the cost, i am simply answering the question somebody asked which is why MobileMe could be dead. It is 100$ per year compared to free.

I agree the cost is a deal breaker. Make it free with a mac.

Comment

Goona

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009

Well seems there are people willing to pay for Mobileme instead of all these free alternatives.

What? How is it "better" than at launch (other than the fact that it works more frequently than it first did). No features have been added, except for the one which allows you to upload large files offsite and allow others to download them from there. But that was not a new feature; that was a feature they showed and announced with the MobileMe intro and then failed to deliver on for more than 7 months after release. Nothing has been added except more consistent usability, which is hardly a selling point. The feature set is still pretty weak overall, especially to those who do not have an iPhone. Many of the features available on MM are available elsewhere for free.
What about the new feature added with Time Capsule and there are new features coming with iphone 3.0 for iphone users. Also why would they just start adding a whole bunch of new features when they were trying to get it fixed.

Mobileme was having problems in the beginning, but most of have been solved. Even Mossberg who wasn't recommending it in the beginning is now recommending it:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10221085-37.html

Comment

Achiever

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2008
What about the new feature added with Time Capsule and there are new features coming with iphone 3.0 for iphone users. Also why would they just start adding a whole bunch of new features when they were trying to get it fixed.

What new feature are you referring to? The ability to remotely access it and any hard drive partitions attached thereto? That is an offshoot of Back to My Mac, a feature initially introduced during the MM re-brand which has never worked. A TC firmware upgrade allegedly allows you to access the backup drive now, but everything else was already supposed to work as part of the MM launch.

Also, I do not know what iPhone 3.0 upgrades there are supposed to be (when the software is released a few months from now) that are specifically integrated to MM users, but again, the functionality of it is therefore limited to people who have iPhones. A great many more have Macs and the services related to the Macs alone does not come close to justifying the price considering the free alternatives.

Comment

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007

Read two of my posts, I already did say that most of the MM features is available for free and that's why MM could be dead if they don't continue to ADD features over time.

Consistent usability is a selling point, that's why I said it wasn't worth the cost in the beginning. it sucked overall, crashing all the time, slow interface, crappy uptime, didn't include all the features as promised and so on.

Right now it is looking far better than it did in the beginning, which is what I just said.

Well seems there are people willing to pay for Mobileme instead of all these free alternatives.

Yes of course, and it wasn't the point of what I was trying to say. I did explain my answer in the previous posts, I was trying to explain WHY MM could fail and why people wouldn't pay. Read all the posts of mine before quoting a small part of mine.

Comment

Goona

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
What new feature are you referring to? The ability to remotely access it and any hard drive partitions attached thereto? That is an offshoot of Back to My Mac, a feature initially introduced during the MM re-brand which has never worked. A TC firmware upgrade allegedly allows you to access the backup drive now, but everything else was already supposed to work as part of the MM launch.

Also, I do not know what iPhone 3.0 upgrades there are supposed to be (when the software is released a few months from now) that are specifically integrated to MM users, but again, the functionality of it is therefore limited to people who have iPhones. A great many more have Macs and the services related to the Macs alone does not come close to justifying the price considering the free alternatives.

Here are some of the new features being added:

http://www.apple.com/mobileme/news/

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.