Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
nagromme said:
The reasons people HATE this new version so much:

1. It adds a lot of features and answers requests.

2. It's a free update.

3. This is a photography event, and people were caught off guard when Apple showed their photography product, despite the Aperture image right on the invitation.

4. Apple never releases hardware on Tuesdays, so there is no hope for any MacBook Pro updates tomorrow.

5. There will never be another chance for new MacBook Pros. We now know that the current models will be sold forever and ever, even after Apple goes out of business, which will happen by the end of the year.

:p

so true.
This forum is mostly visited by whiners.
So many people wanted the MPB at a photography event. what a joke. they did not get it and now all the crying.
Basically you have just to ignore these folks if you want to have a nice experience at Macrumors.

imperium

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2006
Wanting a new MBP

gugy said:
so true.
This forum is mostly visited by whiners.
So many people wanted the MPB at a photography event. what a joke. they did not get it and now all the crying.
Basically you have just to ignore these folks if you want to have a nice experience at Macrumors.

Ignore me if you wish, but I'm pretty sad about not getting the machine promised by the rumour mill. I'm happy for y'all with your updated photo software, but wouldn't you have liked it to be true that we'd get a nice new C2D MBP to use it on?

transcend

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2006
What's hilarious is that you guys are arguing about beta software and a product that, up until this point, has been a huge disaster. Asking someone to rotate a raw image 180 degrees with a straightening tool is absurd. It isn't meant to do that. End of story.

I am not sure how many of you are professional photographers, but I can tell you that most of us have tried both products and are still using what works best: Iview media pro and C1 Pro (as well as photo mechanic for iptc info in batches). All 3 products have been around forever, and work flawlessly. What's comical, is that running all 3 of those apps concurently, is faster than running only aperture on my powerbook G4, as well as on my Mac Pro.

Aperture is a pig even on a shiny new mac pro compared to C1 and Iview. Lightroom just doesn't feel complete, and to be frank, the way the program is laid out is annoying as hell when you need to get things done quickly (like when filing from a football game, on deadline while sorting through 1000+ shots). It takes all day just to even get them imported into aperture, while I view does it in about 2 minutes. In 2 minutes, I can be choosing selects and sepertating the wheat from the chaff. This is not the case with either aperture or lightroom.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Earendil said:
In a perfect world it would figure out your specs and use what it can.

Then it is pretty much a perfect world.

The guts of the Image Units are written in a subset of OpenGL Shading Langage and run on either the GPU or CPU as is appropriate for the hardware. But I don't know the gradularity. I think it is on a per Image Unit basis. So (say) "Gamma Adjust" might run on the GPU while "Perspective Transform" might run on a CPU. Where it runs is different dependiig on what hardware you have. Tiger's Core Image has about 100 Image Units and there is a way for programmers to add more. It is reasonable to asume that Aprture adds some of it's own.

This stuff is explained in some detail at http://developer.apple.com/

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
imperium said:
Ignore me if you wish, but I'm pretty sad about not getting the machine promised by the rumour mill. I'm happy for y'all with your updated photo software, but wouldn't you have liked it to be true that we'd get a nice new C2D MBP to use it on?

That's the whole point.
people just expect too much. Since they announced Photokina I was just being realistic and expecting things relate to photography. Maybe I am the only one.
The problem is that everybody starts making these crazy predictions and they get all pissed after.
We still have 17 minutes before 10am PT so hope exists for a Tuesday MBP update. if not there is always another Tuesday coming up the following week.:rolleyes:

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
imperium said:

a C2D MBP would give you what? Maybe a 20% speed bump. I doubt you'd notice except if you used a stop watch. For photographers and Videographers I doubt C2D would bing even a 20% boost as their main bottleneck is the speed of the disk.

Try this experiment: Bring up Activity Monitor and see if the CPU is as 100% if it is not a faster CPU will do nothing for you. On a Mac the CPU is at 100% mostly when transcoding or redering, those tasks will go faster after the speed bump

My gues is that the code re-work inside Aperture will speed things up MUCH more than a C2D could.

Some_Big_Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
New York, NY
Code optimization & tweaking is always good.. very good, but you'll eventually run up against the limitations of the processor. I've been having that issue for the past two weeks here at work. Disk usage hasn't been the problem, it's just me needing more horsepower than the dual G5 can muster.

ChrisA said:
a C2D MBP would give you what? Maybe a 20% speed bump. I doubt you'd notice except if you used a stop watch. For photographers and Videographers I doubt C2D would bing even a 20% boost as their main bottleneck is the speed of the disk.

Try this experiment: Bring up Activity Monitor and see if the CPU is as 100% if it is not a faster CPU will do nothing for you. On a Mac the CPU is at 100% mostly when transcoding or redering, those tasks will go faster after the speed bump

My gues is that the code re-work inside Aperture will speed things up MUCH more than a C2D could.

amin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
I think this is fantastic news and can't wait to try Aperture 1.5. The only thing I don't like about Capture One is the lack of integration with iLife.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Thanks...

After all of the comments about how great Aperture ran, and considering how crappy it was running on mine, I decided to take into the Apple Store.

The video card is defective and they are replacing it. No wonder my experience with the program stunk.

:)

timnosenzo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2004
ct, us
iGary said:
After all of the comments about how great Aperture ran, and considering how crappy it was running on mine, I decided to take into the Apple Store.

The video card is defective and they are replacing it. No wonder my experience with the program stunk.

wow, that's good news (kind of)! hope it improves your experience... :)

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
iGary said:

Slightly OT but I hope you bought the AppleCare for your PM that you were thinking about a few weeks ago ;) Back OT, let us know how it is once you get it back :) :) two smiles for your troubles...

Russell L

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2006
San Francisco
For those of you running Aperture on a Mac Pro, did you notice the new RAM requirement on http://www.apple.com/aperture/specs/? It says "2GB of RAM required for Mac Pro." I've been running Aperture just fine on my new Mac Pro with the standard 1GB of RAM. Like many new Mac Pro owners, I've been holding off on upgrading the RAM until it gets a little cheaper. The 1.5 update installer better not refuse to install on my Mac because of insufficient RAM; I'll be pretty upset if it does. :(

Russell

rodpascoe

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2006
Truro, Cornwall
Russell L said:
For those of you running Aperture on a Mac Pro, did you notice the new RAM requirement on http://www.apple.com/aperture/specs/? It says "2GB of RAM required for Mac Pro." I've been running Aperture just fine on my new Mac Pro with the standard 1GB of RAM. Like many new Mac Pro owners, I've been holding off on upgrading the RAM until it gets a little cheaper. The 1.5 update installer better not refuse to install on my Mac because of insufficient RAM; I'll be pretty upset if it does. :(

Russell

Same here, price is £300 for 2 1gig sticks here in the UK, so I've been waiting too. Would Apple release an upgrade that could conceivably be automatically installed via software update that would then cripple software you've paid £350 for? Hope not :(

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
iGary said:

My comments on having the video card do some heavy lifting, and how that's a good idea for the majority of users ,only applies to those that have a video card :rolleyes:
Without a video card I completely agree with you that it would be faster to use the 4 procs :D

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Well I got it back today (tried it out at the Genius Bar before I left the store) and it's working brilliantly.

Now I have to change my whole workflow again. :(

tvguru

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
Kenora, ON Canada
iGary said:
Well I got it back today (tried it out at the Genius Bar before I left the store) and it's working brilliantly.

Now I have to change my whole workflow again. :(

Glad you got thing sorted thought. *crosses fingers*

ericschmerick

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2004
Russell L said:

Russell

I have no idea what I'm talking about here, but if I had to guess, I'd say it's because of the quad cores. I suspect that each "set" of cores needs plenty of memory to stay fed and happy.

EE
http://www.essersinchina.com/

ericschmerick

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2004
nosen said:
I wonder what the hold up is with releasing this update? :eek:

Yeah man, I've been waiting too! I think I've checked software update more in the last 3 days than I have in the last year.

I wonder if 10.4.8 is required? There was a separate thread about 10.4.8 being close to done. As I understand it, the RAW conversion stuff is built into the OS, so I wonder if there's a co-dependency between the two updates.

Anyway, I'm hoping "this week" means tomorrow, not Sunday.

EE

ericschmerick

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2004
Aperture runs fine on my MBP 15" 2.0ghz. I have 2GB of ram, and I've definitely noticed that it'll use almost all of it. After 1 hr or so of working with images, I've seen it using 1.5GB+ of ram. So I suspect if you're running it with 1GB, you're missing out on some level of performance.

I agree, the rotate/straighten tool sucks hard. I've found that it's really hard to move the mouse precisely enough, and the click buttons on each side go up/down by 1 degree! Too much for each step.

I think the thing I love more than anything is not having an intermediate format. Working directly with RAW, and just leaving everything in that format until I'm ready to output, is terrific. I'm not a huge photoshopper, so once an image is sharpened, straightened, and levels adjusted, I'm usually done. So I'm not outputting a TIFF and bouncing into PS much. That might make a big difference in how you think about the value of aperture. I can't even imagine managing a whole separate collection of TIFFs, like I used to, now that I'm working directly with RAW.

The actual RAW "conversion" (if it can still be called that) and adjustment process, for me, is about the same speed than C1 or PS was. I have iView Pro as well with well over 10,000 images in databases, and it's terrific, but I'm not using it any more.

EE

peas

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2006
what sucks is that academic ve4rsions are not allowed this free update.
what bs. considering i just bought the freakin app not more than 3 weeks ago.

timnosenzo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2004
ct, us
peas said:
what sucks is that academic ve4rsions are not allowed this free update.
what bs. considering i just bought the freakin app not more than 3 weeks ago.
from the product page in the Apple EDU store:

Aperture 1.5 - Academic

Introducing the first all-in-one post-production tool for photographers. Built from the ground up for professionals, Aperture offers an advanced RAW workflow, professional project management capabilities, powerful compare and select tools, nondestructive image processing, and versatile printing and publishing.

Free Aperture 1.5 Update: All current owners of Aperture will automatically receive the free upgrade to Aperture 1.5 via Software Update.

Price: $149.00

http://store.apple.com/1-800-780-50...Lj1FO9UjpY/0.PSLID?mco=377D2568&nplm=MA716Z/A

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.