Apple Announces China Data Center Will Comply With New Cybersecurity Law

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 12, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has announced it is setting up its first China data center in partnership with a local internet services company, in accordance with the country's new cybersecurity laws introduced last month.

Apple told Reuters on Wednesday that the data center would be built in the southern province of Guizhou with data management firm Guizhou-Cloud Big Data Industry (GCBD) as part of a planned $1 billion investment in the province.

[​IMG]
    According to Reuters, Apple is the first foreign tech firm to announce amendments to its data storage arrangements in China after a new cybersecurity law was implemented in June which requires foreign firms to store data within the country. Other tech firms with data centers in China include Microsoft and Amazon, which will also need to comply with the new rules.

Overseas business groups have been critical of the law's strict data surveillance and storage requirements, which they say are overly vague and burden companies with excessive compliance risks, threatening proprietary data. Authorities say the law is not designed to put foreign firms at a disadvantage and was introduced as a response to the threat of cyber attacks and terrorism.

Apple assured reporters it had strong privacy and security protections in place. "No backdoors will be created into any of our systems," said a company spokesman.

Earlier this week, Apple announced it was building a second data center in Denmark run entirely on renewable energy. The company said a planned data center in Athenry, Ireland, announced in 2015, had yet to begin construction and is awaiting judicial review.

Article Link: Apple Announces China Data Center Will Comply With New Cybersecurity Law

2. miknos macrumors 6502a

miknos

I'm no expert in network systems but how is Apple going to avoid Chinese interfering in their servers if they are physically there? Specially with Chinese tight control.

3. fermat-au macrumors 6502

I'm not a network systems expert either, but with the servers being in China, Chinese user's data won't have to pass through The Great Firewall of China. If it were encrypted from the iPhone to server that would have it more secure. You are right there is a real possibility that the Chinese Government will "need" to have physical access to the server. It seems that this is part of doing business in China, as users iPhone's are backed up to iCloud, for Chinese iPhones users these servers must be in China.
    Apple has chosen to do business in China so must do so under Chinese law. Google at one stage choose to leave China due to Chinese law/policies they disagreed with

4. AZ63 macrumors regular

AZ63

Hmmm… China may start a trend. All countries can now force Apple and other companies to have server farms in their countries that must be used to backup/store online user data for those in that country. This would simplify governments getting access to user data. No longer would governments who have a warrant to review a person's data need to go through international organizations because the data would no longer be stored in a different country.

5. makitango macrumors member

For as long they only host local user data there, I'm fine with that. But I do not appreciate having my data lying around in overly-analyzing-user-data-China, may Apple have an interest in my privacy or not. Other countries may do the same but they also have some watchmen watching the watchmen.

6. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I don't really see what fuss anyone would have with this. If you want to keep your data private. Don't store it on a third parties servers. At least store it in encrypted containers you created. So, that they simply don't have the encryption key or password.

If you want your data available online and private. There are plenty of methods for creating your own server.

Even in the most privacy minded countries. All your data stored by a third party is just a court order away.

As this data center is for storing Chinese user data. It should not affect outsiders.

7. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I think the key word is "should not".

Do we really know what will be on the servers ?

8. Crash0veride macrumors member

Crash0veride

No, but I doubt apple is going to want the latency of pulling data from the other side of the planet either. I'd be more concerned if I was quite geographically close.

9. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

That is why I chose should not. What someone or a company says they will do and what they actually do behind closed doors. Are two different matters.

Which is why I stated. If you want to keep your data private. Don't store it on a third parties servers.

If one implicitly trusts Apple with their data. Then why wouldn't they implicitly trust them to store it properly by region or nation? Either one trusts them or one doesn't. If one doesn't trust them. Why would one store their data with them?

On a side note. Is it correct to consider iCloud a third party? Wouldn't iCloud (Apple Data Centers) be the first party. As Apple is the service provider and has direct control over the data center. While the consumer is the second party. While a third party would be if, for example, Widget Enterprises ran the data centers.

10. julesme macrumors regular

If Apple is such a stalwart for free speech and privacy, how does that philosophy square with its support for Chinese communication laws?

11. canny macrumors regular

canny

I don't want why data available to the Chinese government.

12. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

There is absolutely NOTHING forcing users to ONLY purchase their iPhones in China. Also there are overseas VPN services to encrypt data traffic further so activation over VPN+WiFi to create iCloud account in another country can be done. Solution.

Do you LIVE in China? If not then don't fret Apple assuredly will not co mingle data from a Canadian/USA/Germany/France users iCloud info within China servers.

I'm curious ... do YOU know how to create a personally owned iCloud Server to which you can prove YOUR Data is sync'ing to?

Oh man ... major typo there ... if done on iPhone/iPad you may want to clear out your saved words in Settings > general > Keyboard/Language.

13. 960design macrumors 68000

Government already has rules about data. As soon as it passes US borders it is free game. I would assume the same or worse for other countries as well.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 12, 2017 ---
    I do. Requires tons of work arounds to prevent data from leaking out to offsite servers if using apps that users enable CloudKit ( and other technologies ) behind the scenes.

14. macs4nw macrumors 68040

macs4nw

When profits for the shareholders stand to take a potentially huge hit, Timmy is willing to compromise a tad :D

15. hishnash macrumors newbie

hishnash

I think that I the point the Chinese government does not want the US government to be able to look at all the data on Chinese users.
    For example, as it is at the moment the US gov can get info the chienise officals that have iOS devices. Sure apple keep message content encrypted and will not biuld a back door for anyone to let them into that but the meta data is given the the US government all the time. This meta data is lists of who talked to who and when, this info is very valuable and im sure China does not want th US to be able to gather this data on their citizens let alone their government members or military would you want China to be able to gather this info on US citizens of US gov/military?
    --- Post Merged, Jul 15, 2017 ---
    Also in the US apples' meta data is accessed very often by the CIA and NSA. This meta data is info about who contacted who and when. Im sure China does not want the US gov to have info like this about them would you want china to have info like this about your countries citizens?

That is the point of them opening a center in China. China does not appreciate their data being overly-analyzed by the US. If you dont want your data in china then im sure you can understand why China does not want their data in the US?

As it is currently with China's icloud data being stored in the US it means the US government can access the metadata parts for that data (eg who contacted who etc) at any time without a warrant. Why without a warrant, well it is no data collected in the US about US citizens it is international data and as such does not have the protection of the US law so the NSA and CIA are probably currently monitoring thousands of interactions between people of interest in China im sure china does not want this this is why it is important for each nation to require the data to be stored locally or for that nation to get an agreement with the US to protect the data while it is in the US.

The EU would require data to be stored in the EU if not for the agreement they made with the US that protects it while it is in the US as if it were in the EU.

The US and China have no such deal so it is logical that they want the data to stay local so that other nations can't just look at it whenever they want.
    to protect chinies citizens data,

Currently, that data is stored in the US. But since that data is gathered outside fo the US and is not of US citizens none of the data protection laws in the US control it that means the US intelligence services can ask to view it (the unencrypted metadata) without even getting a warrant. US intelligence don't need a warrant to spy on non-US citizens while they are outside of the US even if the data is visible from inside the US.

So currently there is not protection it makes logical sense for china to require this data to be moved to within china to protect it from other govemetns acces

16. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

I'm calling your bluff and calling you out on this. And just to be clear I'm not talking about: iCal, and similar PIM type synching. I'm talking about iOS backup and restore, data synching from apps file sharing from the same server.

17. 960design, Jul 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2017

960design macrumors 68000

Thank you. Please send PM and I will discuss rates. I do this for a living. And just to be clear, I am not talking about iCal or other simple APIs.

iOS backup and restore, data syncing from apps, file sharing from the same server is the easy stuff.