Apple Announces 'Classroom' Coming to Mac, Reveals New 'Schoolwork' App for Educators

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 27, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple during its education-focused event in Chicago today announced that its existing iOS "Classroom" app will be making the move to Mac, beginning with a beta this June.

[​IMG]

Classroom is a "teaching assistant" that helps teachers manage their students' iPads, as well as guide kids through lessons, keep them on track, and share their work. Using the app, teachers can launch apps, books, and websites on all student devices simultaneously, and send or receive documents. Classroom also allows teachers to view their students' screens so that they "stay focused," and other administrative options like password resets.

[​IMG]

At the same time, the company revealed a new cloud-based app called "Schoolwork" that lets teachers assign handouts and track the progress of their students. Apple said that Schoolwork "builds on the success" of the Classroom app and both apps will be combined to help educators "get the most out of integrating Apple technology into schools."
    Using Schoolwork, teachers will be able to make handouts that include PDFs, links, and other documents, as well as check in on the progress of every student for a specific assignment. Schoolwork will integrate with third-party apps using Apple's ClassKit API, acting as a hub of sorts for a classroom's projects and assignments. Schoolwork will be available for teachers in June.

There will also be a new "Apple Teacher" professional learning program available online, aimed at helping teachers build skills, chart their progress, and get inspired to launch new lesson plans. The program will allow teachers to earn badges shaped like gold stars, encouraging them to continue using the program and evolve their classroom.

Article Link: Apple Announces 'Classroom' Coming to Mac, Reveals New 'Schoolwork' App for Educators

2. nutriousmitten macrumors regular

Beta in June, just in time for most schools in North America to be let out. I guess ready for the fall, assuming you have beta testers in teachers willing to work over the summer.

But with the iPad still costing schools the price of two Chromebooks, don't see Apple gaining much ground just becuase of a couple apps and pencil support.

3. I am Sampson macrumors 6502

I am Sampson

--- Post Merged, Mar 27, 2018 ---
    I didn’t watch the keynote, so forgive my ignorance, but the Apple teacher thing has been around for some time. I’ve had all their awards for ages. What’s changed? New content? Or are they just making something that has existed for some time more public and known?

4. SmugMaverick macrumors member

SmugMaverick

So they're copying Google's classroom support app and charging the same for the price of two chrome books...

Oh dear Tim, maybe look at public school kids and not private school.

5. iFanaddic macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

I wish “profiles” on iPads weren’t only for schools.

6. WAM2 macrumors 6502a

WAM2

They aren't just for schools..

7. jayducharme macrumors 68040

jayducharme

Their Classroom is aimed at K-12, which is fine. But I wish they developed something for college instructors as well. The needs are a bit different.

8. harriska2 macrumors 6502

harriska2

Can you expand?

9. ThunderSkunk macrumors 68030

ThunderSkunk

Every time I see a bunch of smiling kids herded together and being molded and trained that the purpose of their life is to be organized in a hierarchy by an authority figure and have their productivity monitored and its worth graphed for comparison and valuation, I become optimistic about the impending collapse of this old british class culture and its failure to develop beyond the industrial revolution. What a beautiful disaster this century is going to put its kids through.

Nice that there's an app for that.

10. pubb macrumors member

Teachers willing to work over the summer? It will never happen. We stop doing anything at the end of June and only start back on the first day of school. Oh wait, no. I and every other teacher I have ever met spends ********s of time prepping for September.

As for the technology, Chromebooks can't print when on my school's networks. iPads can.

Also, my school's networks block (either intentionally or not) Bonjour. So for example, I cannot sync my iPhone and personal laptop on the school's network. I don't see the teacher app getting around that, but I might be pleasantly surprised.

11. swingerofbirch macrumors 68040

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    Rather than offering a simple, compelling product, you'd really have to want to invest in Apple's ecosystem and contort your pedagogy to make Apple's offerings work. You have to conform to Apple rather than the products seamlessly filling a role. You have to create friction rather than the services easing friction.

The original iPod, for example, was a music player that could play a lot of songs.

This release is a lot of MBA mumbo-jumbo:

"When you combine the power of iPad, the creativity of Apple Pencil, over a million iPad apps in the App Store, the rich curriculum in Everyone Can Code and Everyone Can Create, and unique Classroom and Schoolwork apps that support students and help schools manage technology in the classroom, we believe we can amplify learning and creativity in a way that only Apple can."

It's BS only every single business undergrad could write.

12. nutmac macrumors 68040

Classroom and Schoolwork look much nicer than Google Classroom and PowerSchool that my kids' school use. And it's good that Classroom (the app you use while in school) supports both iOS and macOS.

But Schoolwork (the app you use outside school) is iPad only, which is probably DOA for most school. It should be made to support macOS, iPhone, and the web.

As for the new iPad, not offering a version with built-in keyboard (essentially MacBook form factor) is a huge missed opportunity. My kids' school use both iPad and Chromebook. I bet they would love to replace them (at least for future purchases) with a single iPad that can do both.

Having to use a keyboard case, especially the one that needs to be charged separately, is not the same. School IT admins want an all-in-one form factor device.

13. Aidyn's X macrumors regular

Is Schoolwork replacing iTunes U? Does it serve the same purpose or a different purpose? Did they say whether iTunes U is going away?

14. JackieTreehorn macrumors 6502

JackieTreehorn

Wow, those Google-payed 'pro-Chromebook' posters sure are worth their Google money.

Throughout my entire (PhD) education, I'd say 80-90% of people in academia (teachers, students, professors, academic staff) are on Apple.

Google can apparently eat their shorts with their cheap products. You can't beat quality with low pricing.

PS: iWork updates now showing.

15. nutriousmitten macrumors regular

Calm down. Never said that. With all the prep work that teachers do, really want to beta test an app on top of that, with a hypothetical class of kids and hypothetical assignments and tests?
    Pretty sure Chromebooks can print, sounds like a very specific technical issue.
    I dont think the Apple integration talked about today is for teachers to more easier sync their personal phones and Macs on the network, as that should be seperate in its own garden for a variety of issues, it's for school provisioned Macs to sync with the IPads.

Also, a ipad plus a pencil is almost 3x what a Chromebook would cost the school. My guess is most schools won't be fooled by the bright lights and promises in the lure of Apple when it's going to take resources away from somewhere else.

16. RedRock2512 macrumors newbie

Apple needs to come up with a competitor to Microsoft's OneNote app. OneNote is making inroads into classrooms, even though it sucks.

OneNote has no local file storage; all data syncs to OneDrive or Sharepoint. Klunky interface. No way to customize formatting. And, of course, the PC version has more features than the Mac version.

The only thing I see going for OneNote is it's notebook organization - Sections (Tabs) contain Pages.

17. robertcoogan macrumors 6502

robertcoogan

This is all well and nice, but there isn't any real incentive to draw educators to this platform considering its cost (even with discounts). There is also too many other alternatives, as well as too many districts who are locked into long-term contracts for support - which is most likely tied to Microsoft products and MS-compatible software. Planned obsolescence will weigh heavily on many budgets, as Apple isn't seen as a viable competitor to MS. MS simply has the reputation of being overall less costly.

....and is it just me, or does Apple not really seem to care (at all) about enterprise? Shame.*

*Ok. I really just miss MS Entourage. ;)

18. britboyj macrumors 6502a

Have you seen how much eLearning and Blackboard charge?

Also, those are TERRIBLE experiences. Like, they're ATROCIOUS. No educator I've ever spoken to disagrees. If this works half as well as those systems, it will get A LOT of pickup.

19. robertcoogan macrumors 6502

robertcoogan

I was also referring to the long-term contracts that many districts sign up for. Plus there is the perception that overall, MS is cheaper and easier to take care of.

20. kemal macrumors 65816

kemal

Apple are doing it to sell iPads, etc. Google are doing it to sell ads to the K-12 students once they turn 18. Ads based on those data collected over the previous 12 years.

I choose Apple.

21. rturner2 macrumors 6502a

And then the kid gets a stupid teacher and life becomes miserable. Been there. Done that. Pass.

22. harriska2 macrumors 6502

harriska2

Never used either. Our local community college uses Moodle. It has worked super well for my son over the past 3 years - at least if the teachers use it.

23. MadeMyDay macrumors regular

MadeMyDay

Proximity roll call. No mimeograph lessons. Look how far we have come. There goes the dog-ate-my-homework excuse.

24. coolbreeze, Mar 27, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2018

coolbreeze macrumors 68000

Eh, Apple is trying here, but ChromeOS rules the classroom.

I know every tech company is trying to indoctorinate young kids into becoming brand zombies for a lifetime, but Apple is late here IMO. Not to mention hella more expensive.

A Chromebook is perfect for classrooms, especially when typing lots of notes (keyboard is essential).

But I wish Tim and his attempt at making Wall Street happy the best. By the way, the first ChromeOS tablet has landed ... aimed at the education market and includes a free stylus...we shall see who remains king (hint). Google isn't going to hope they win in the classroom...they just will. It's war now.

Choices are good though. We will see what IT Directors end up buying.

25. Tech198 macrumors G5

Apple really wants iPad in schools..
    It more about simplicity, and while iPad does it on a more expanding level, ChomeOS still can't be beat here and would be perfect for schools..

You can't tell me you'd rather get an iPad, then go through the restrictions, vs buying ChromeOS that is already this way by deign 'out of the box', just to get the same result for students