Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

At today's WWDC keynote event, Apple announced a release timeframe and pricing for Mountain Lion, the next version of the Mac operating system which was previewed earlier this year. Executives also gave a preview of some new features including dictation, iCloud Tabs, and Power Nap. Mountain Lion will be released in July through the Mac App Store for $19.99 and all Macs purchased starting today can receive an upgrade for free.

mountainlion560.jpg

The new dictation feature will be integrated throughout the operating system to allow dictation anywhere to enter text. Dictation was previously rumored in May when resource files in Safari listed keyboard shortcuts that pointed to dictation functions.

iCloud Tabs, a new feature in Safari on the Mac, was also demonstrated. iCloud Tabs will show all tabs open in Safari on all other iOS devices and Macs logged in to the same iCloud account. Safari also gains a unified search and address bar to streamline its interface.

Power Nap is a new feature that will carry out functions while a Mac is charging and sleeping. New emails will be downloaded, Time Machine will automatically run, app updates will be applied and other actions will be carried out with Power Nap, which will be available on the new ultra-thin MacBook Pro that was announced today and second-generation and later MacBook Airs.

200newfeatures.jpg

Apple first previewed Mountain Lion in February, highlighting many features already present in iOS, including Messages, Reminders, Notes, Notification Center, Game Center and more at that time.

Article Link: Apple Announces Dictation, iCloud Tabs, and 'Power Nap' Features in OS X Mountain Lion, Available in July for $19.99

artuuur

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2012
Portugal
Yeah because my Early 2011 13' MacBook Pro doesn't have the specs to run that Power Nap thing. Thank you so much Apple!!!

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
Did anyone notice the new dock? It looks awesome..
screenshot20120611at121.png

Last edited:

antmarobel

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2009
Brasília
I'm running here the last preview and a lot of bugs and difficulties so far. It looks like, though my hardware configuration ( iMac 27, i5, 2,8 Ghz, 8GB memory ran ), that Mountain Lion is not a multi task system. If it will be released in July I think it will be another "failure" just like Lion.:mad:

ghostlyorb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
Virginia, USA
Yeah because my Early 2011 13' MacBook Pro doesn't have the specs to run that Power Nap thing. Thank you so much Apple!!!

yeah that extremely pissed me off. I mean my computer is only a year old with simular specs. Crazy how 14 months is basically out-dated completely.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
yeah that extremely pissed me off. I mean my computer is only a year old with simular specs. Crazy how 14 months is basically out-dated completely.

There is a very good reason: you don't want your hard drive spinning all the time.

I wonder if there will be a way to enable it for those of us who've installed SSDs in our MBPs.

Navdakilla

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2011
Canada

Agreed. Not a fan of how quickly they phase out old computers.
Same with iOS and Siri only available on the NEW Ipad. Ipad2 is basically the same thing!

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
With OS X seemingly switching to dirt cheap 1-year release cycles, what is the thinking/advice of those who usually recommend waiting until 10.x.2 or 10.x.3 updates before purchasing major OS updates?

zin

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom
Cherish this moment, Brits.

OS X Mountain Lion will be $19.99, which is actually £15.46 factoring in tax at today's exchange rate; the Apple website says it'll be £13.99.

:D

macnerd77

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2007
Northern California / Bay Area
Do developers get a free copy of Mountain Lion once it is released or do they still have to pay for it? I don't mind paying for it at all, i was just curious. iOS has always been a free update for me, just not sure about OS X.

----------

If Im not wrong apple will release today GM right?

apple said that what will be released today will be close to the GM. But not the GM.

----------

Yup less glossy then the old one, looks more like an aluminum dock.. I think it looks great :)

Kind of reminds me of the apple remote.

telepati

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2009
Do developers get a free copy of Mountain Lion once it is released or do they still have to pay for it? I don't mind paying for it at all, i was just curious. iOS has always been a free update for me, just not sure about OS X.

apple said that what will be released today will be close to the GM. But not the GM.

Said latest dev preview release today. Always been final preview GM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.