Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samwa3

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2018
How come this new Advanced Data Protection is not available in the uk ?

>Advanced Data Protection for iCloud is available in the US today for members of the Apple Beta Software Program, and will be available to US users by the end of the year. The feature will start rolling out to the rest of the world in early 2023.

gank41

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2008
Same In uk . Guess it’s just the Americans that get it
More like us Americans are the beta testers for their new setup.. I'm sure the reasoning here is to scale up the backend before letting more on the bus.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
I'm loving this Advanced encryption. My only complaint is that Apple Watches aren't considered trusted devices. Why does that matter? Once this advanced encryption is turned on, access to many iCloud apps on the web (e.g., Notes) require you to authenticate not only by password, but also indicating on trusted device that you are allowing that access (e.g., iPhone, iPad, and I think Macs).

At work, we use Windows and so I use iCloud Notes on the web to access my notes because it is an app that syncs across all my personal devices and I can use at work. Having to authenticate by phone isn't so convenient because my phone is often in a cabinet at work but my Watch is on my wrist all the time.

Anyhow, any idea why the Apple Watch is not considered a trusted device by Apple and if there are plans to change that in the future?

Reactions: jhfenton

gank41

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2008
I'm loving this Advanced encryption. My only complaint is that Apple Watches aren't considered trusted devices. Why does that matter? Once this advanced encryption is turned on, access to many iCloud apps on the web (e.g., Notes) require you to authenticate not only by password, but also indicating on trusted device that you are allowing that access (e.g., iPhone, iPad, and I think Macs).

At work, we use Windows and so I use iCloud Notes on the web to access my notes because it is an app that syncs across all my personal devices and I can use at work. Having to authenticate by phone isn't so convenient because my phone is often in a cabinet at work but my Watch is on my wrist all the time.

Anyhow, any idea why the Apple Watch is not considered a trusted device by Apple and if there are plans to change that in the future?
I just noticed this, too. I also have a Family Member who looks like will be left out completely due to them also having an Apple Watch?!? That seems ridiculous. Says my own Apple Watch needs an update in order to be included. It's up to date, no beta profile. I'm half tempted to just install the beta to see if that gets it going, although I can't move forward anyway because then my Wife won't be able to use the Home App to control all of the lights, cameras, and our Thermostat.. Super lame.

sparkinstx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2017
Kinda late to the party here, but are iMessage transmissions end-to-end encrypted? The list says "Device Backups and Messages Backups" but doesn't mention iMessages or messages.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Kinda late to the party here, but are iMessage transmissions end-to-end encrypted? The list says "Device Backups and Messages Backups" but doesn't mention iMessages or messages.
Scroll down to Data Categories and Encryption:

iMessages is end to end encrypted.

https://support.apple.com/guide/security/how-imessage-sends-and-receives-messages-sec70e68c949/web - more information for the technically minded.

PureLogic

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2018
Nice try and definitely a good step in the right direction but the most valuable information which are pretty easy to protect are not covered at all as calendar and contacts

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.