Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is kicking off 2020 with an all-new Night Mode photo challenge, inviting users around the world to share their best Night Mode photos captured with the iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, or iPhone 11 Pro Max.

iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro models turn on Night Mode automatically when the camera detects low-light situations. A crescent moon icon at the top of the display turns yellow when the feature is active.

Apple_Shot-on-iPhone-Challenge-2020_Austin-Mann_01072020_big.jpg.large_2x-800x533.jpg
Shot on iPhone 11 Pro in Night mode by Austin Mann

Apple will accept submissions from today through January 29. A panel of 10 judges will evaluate submissions and reveal five winning photos on March 4. You must be 18 years of age or older to participate, and Apple employees are not eligible. Apple has shared a PDF with full rules and eligibility details.

Apple says photos are allowed to be edited with Apple's Photos app or third-party apps and software. If edited, you must state what apps or filters you used in the image caption or comment. Any photo shot with the iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, or iPhone 11 Pro Max in Night Mode since September 20 qualifies.

The winning photos will be shared on Apple's website and on its Instagram, Twitter, WeChat, and Weibo pages. They may also appear in ads and on billboards, at Apple Stores, or in a third-party photo exhibition. Apple says it will pay a licensing fee to the winning photographers for use of such photos in its marketing.

To participate in the challenge, share your Night Mode photos on Instagram and Twitter using the hashtags #ShotoniPhone and #NightmodeChallenge. Weibo users can participate using #ShotoniPhone# and #NightmodeChallenge#. Apple says to note which iPhone model you used to capture your image in the caption.

High-resolution photos can also be emailed to shotoniphone@apple.com, using the file format "firstname_lastname_nightmode_iPhonemodel."

Apple ran a similar Shot on iPhone photo challenge last January.

Article Link: Apple Announces iPhone 11 Night Mode Photo Challenge

Last edited:
Reactions: Vanilla35

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
I'm in love with these night modes. I was disappointed for sooooo many years as smart phone cameras started to get really good, but were unusable at night. Now we can finally be front pocket photographers at all times.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Night mode is the first thing I show people that ask what's different about the new iPhones. Looking forward to seeing what people submit!

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I think the most amazing thing about Night Mode and what Apple has done with the iPhone 11 is how the phone processes the images. Most of the quality we see is done between the sensor and the processor.

Imagine if camera makers put this kind of effort in their image processing (not that it's bad, just that they have much better sensors and lenses to work with). Remember, we're still talking about a sensor smaller than a fingernail.

Blackstick

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2014
OH
I think the most amazing thing about Night Mode and what Apple has done with the iPhone 11 is how the phone processes the images. Most of the quality we see is done between the sensor and the processor.

Imagine if camera makers put this kind of effort in their image processing (not that it's bad, just that they have much better sensors and lenses to work with). Remember, we're still talking about a sensor smaller than a fingernail.
Definitely a chicken/egg problem. Less people buy cameras ever year, so there’s less investment into it, while everyone buys phones, and when they buy a new phone it’s almost always for the better camera. Sony/Fuji/Nikon/Canon feel like Apple and Samsung will eat their lunch anyway, so even if they ship an awesome camera hardware wise, why bother improving the software. Case in point, the menu systems and touch interfaces (or lack thereof) for almost all these brands. Can you imagine how much better the A7Riv could be if Apple’s image processing team could get ahold of that 61MP sensor and could work directly with the team making the optics?! Holy cow

Reactions: Digital Skunk

uller6

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
Night mode is totally sweet and I've got some great pictures from it - maybe I'll enter just for fun!

mrich75

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2001
Good luck with this one. I have the worst else flare on my night mode photos or any phots for that matter on my iPhone pro

MacLoveMacHate

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2017
Would be funny if someone submitted a non-Apple photo, tricked them and won :)
The ad agency they work with requests your original image to read the EXIF data to prove its legitimacy
[automerge]1578509149[/automerge]
Definitely a chicken/egg problem. Less people buy cameras ever year, so there’s less investment into it, while everyone buys phones, and when they buy a new phone it’s almost always for the better camera. Sony/Fuji/Nikon/Canon feel like Apple and Samsung will eat their lunch anyway, so even if they ship an awesome camera hardware wise, why bother improving the software. Case in point, the menu systems and touch interfaces (or lack thereof) for almost all these brands. Can you imagine how much better the A7Riv could be if Apple’s image processing team could get ahold of that 61MP sensor and could work directly with the team making the optics?! Holy cow
A heads up on Night Mode 2x zoom

Burebista

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2019
A panel of 10 judges will evaluate submissions and reveal five winning photos on March 4

And the SE 2 is being released a week or two later. Coincidence?

I’d say sounds more like a prolonged marketing campaign.
(Timmy’s cringy voice)
“Our customers looove the Night mode. Just look at all these amAAzing pictures! And now we bring this incredible feature to even more people for only...399!”.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.