Apple Announces iPod Airplane Integration

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple has announced a partnership with a number of airlines to provide in-flight iPod integration during flights.

In-flight iPod connectivity will be available to Air France, Continental, Delta, Emirates, KLM and United passengers beginning in mid 2007. Additionally, Apple is working with Panasonic Avionics Corporation to bring even more leading airlines in-flight iPod connectivity in the future.
According to the press release, these six airlines will begin offering their passengers iPod seat connections which power and charge their iPods during flight and allow the video content on their iPods to be viewed on the their seat back displays. The press release did not specify whether the iPod integration would be a first-class accommodation, as presumably that designation would be up to the individual airlines.

generationxwing

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2005
Calgary
Now that is a brilliant idea. Earlier this year I took a 26 hour flight(s) to Asia, and I would have LOVED to have been able to take advantage of this.

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
"Mummy, why is that man watching those naked people doing things to each other." :p

It will happen.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Well, the only airline I remember which had seat-back displays for all passengers was WestJet. I just flew United and the smaller planes didn't even have an in-house audio system, let alone video.

But this is a great idea.

(Side note: Having listened to it for the first time on this flight, I really appreciate airlines that put the air traffic control traffic on one of the audio channels. It was neat -- and somewhat comforting -- to know exactly what my pilot was doing up there.)

gallagb

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2004
IN
guess the bigger question
will this be available in coach or is this just a first class option?

whatever

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2001
South of Boston, MA
Since Apple introduced the video iPod I wondered why they didn't encourage both airlines and auto industry to add this functionality in their video devices.

Imagine having two kids in the back of the car, both with their own video screen, watching their own movie, controlling it from their own iPods.

guess the bigger question
will this be available in coach or is this just a first class option?
Like EmPower ports they will appear in phases. First in Business and First Class and the in Coach and expect it to be in all new planes. Some Airlines (like JetBlue) may elect to put them in all seats.

chabig

macrumors 604
Sep 6, 2002
(Side note: Having listened to it for the first time on this flight, I really appreciate airlines that put the air traffic control traffic on one of the audio channels. It was neat -- and somewhat comforting -- to know exactly what my pilot was doing up there.)
United is the ONLY airline that does this.

slidingjon

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2005
Coralville, Iowa
Since this is Zune launch day:

Seeing as apple now has a majority of auto makers making connectivity and now the airline industry is getting on board, this is a major blow to the Zune. Neither cars nor airplanes will come with every connection possible so that any media player can be used. This is a great step for apple and potential apple customers.

How about a built-in mag safe connector for the airplanes too? :)

justflie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Red Sox Nation
Bingo was his namo

Since this is Zune launch day:

Seeing as apple now has a majority of auto makers making connectivity and now the airline industry is getting on board, this is a major blow to the Zune. Neither cars nor airplanes will come with every connection possible so that any media player can be used. This is a great step for apple and potential apple customers.

How about a built-in mag safe connector for the airplanes too? :)
Exactly! How many airlines are going to pony up $X-million to outfit their fleet with the newest proprietary media plug-in? Zilch. They're going to say to M$ and the rest, "Sorry, we just spent our pilots' pensions on ipod connectivity, come back in 3 years and we'll see what we can do..." :D

jalagl

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2003
Costa Rica
Well, the only airline I remember which had seat-back displays for all passengers was WestJet. I just flew United and the smaller planes didn't even have an in-house audio system, let alone video.

But this is a great idea.
Most airlines that fly trans-atlantic and pacific have individual displays for everybody. In coach, most of them play the same movies and series over and over, but in business/first, most of the time you can choose what to watch, and even pause/stop the movies.

rowanhall

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
we all know m$ is stuffed from day one... the only people i could imagine buying the zune are m$ fanboys or apple haters... "bet your ipod can't do this"... so what...

i had been expecting something huge like this to come out today... and i'm expecting bigger still...

how long till somebody makes an adaptor for the zune to make use of the apple dock connector?

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
Very cool idea. Now, what airlines need to do is publish this information on their websites so you can know when choosing your seats what are the accommodations of 19F.

I'm going to Hawaii next spring on Delta, if I knew for sure that my seat will have video and a dock connector, I'd be sure to upgrade to an iPod video for the trip. That would be very, very cool.

So, next year we'll have iTV, hopefully higher res offerings in the itunes movie store and the ability to watch this on the airplane. Sweet.

Of course the one thing that no one has mentioned yet is that many of the screens on planes are in crappy condition... :(

"Excuse me! Does anyone want to switch with me who has a good screen and an isle seat? Anyone???"
:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.