Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Alongside the new iPad Pro, Apple also announced a new Apple Pencil available for $129 (preorders today, shipping November 7). The second-generation pencil magnetically attaches to the new iPad Pro for both pairing and wireless charging.

apple-pencil-2018-800x500.jpg

The biggest addition to the Pencil, aside from the new magnetic charging feature, is a double-tap gesture -- a finger tap on the pencil itself while you hold it -- that can do different things depending on the app. In Notes, for example, a double-tap changes the tool. In Photoshop for iPad, a double-tap zooms in or out of the image. Taps are customizable, though, for better personalization. Tap a locked iPad with the pencil, and it wakes up the device and opens right up into the Notes app.

There are no connectors or moving parts now, just the simple pencil itself. Apple also offers engraving through the Apple Store, to personalize it further (helpful for telling Pencils apart in a design studio).

Like the previous pencil, it works with no perceptible lag, is pressure sensitive for drawing and sketching, and is aware of tilt for shading.

The second-generation pencil is available for $129 with free engraving, and is compatible with the new 11-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pro models. The first-generation pencil sticks around for $99, for owners of older, compatible iPads. (iPad Pro 12.9-inch 1st and 2nd generations, iPad Pro 10.5-inch, iPad Pro 9.7-inch, and the 6th generation iPad)

Article Link: Apple Announces New Magnetic Apple Pencil Featuring Tap Gestures and Wireless Charging

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
The double-tap switch to an eraser is so much more efficient than flipping it over to use the end as an eraser.

I’ll be curious to see how his Pencil can be adapted to use with older iPads for charging. It’s obviously using some kind of Qi charging, so maybe there will be a small Lightning dongle available for it?

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
The double-tap switch to an eraser is so much more efficient than flipping it over to use the end as an eraser.

I’ll be curious to see how his Pencil can be adapted to use with older iPads for charging. It’s obviously using some kind of Qi charging, so maybe there will be a small Lightning dongle available for it?

Guessing it will not work with the old iPad Pros?

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
I have been waiting for the new iPad Pro & it does not disappoint. Wireless pencil charging and being able to charge your iPhone as well? Yep I'll be running to the Apple store!

The loss of Lightning is the only real problem here. But at least there’s a simple dongle for that. So I don’t have to carry different cables for it and he iPhone.

Reactions: tuffigirl

Niklas_nick

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2016
Wondering if it is backwards compatible with the older iPad Pro and the current iPad - or does it need the new pro with its connector for charging and pairing?

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
Guessing it will not work with the old iPad Pros?
Why wouldn’t it? The charging won’t, which is why I’m curious about how Apple or third parties will address that. Heck even the SamrtPort could be used for this purpose. I’m sure we’ll see when the store is up again as to available accessories. But there’s no reason why the Pencil itself won’t work.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
I’m really glad I didn’t put any money on Apple adding USB-C, I honestly didn’t except that.

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Yep, typical Apple pricing.
And no, it will not work on the prior iPad Pros, only the new ones.

Newton1600

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2018
iPad Pro with USBC and Wireless Charging for Apple Pencil did not disappoint. But was hoping for Airpower and AirPod version 2... So that did kinda disappoint...WTF APPLE

Niklas_nick

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2016
Wondering if it is backwards compatible with the older iPad Pro and the current iPad - or does it need the new pro with its connector for charging and pairing?

Alright the Apple site says it “Chose the right Apple Pencil for your iPad: Apple Pencil (2nd Generation) for 12.9” iPad Pro (3rd Generation) and 11” iPad Pro / Apple Pencil for (...).

Ugh this is ********. Probably because it only charges through the new connector, but why not make it compatible? Oh and it got 40% more expensive, as always...

Reactions: Craig Hindall

thatisme

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2010
United States
Was looking forward to purchasing a new iPad Pro, but not at the current prices. The iPad Pro price is fine, it's the extras that kill it for me. $129 for the pencil and $179 for a keyboard??? Not for me. Maybe others are fine with the price point.

Aryphin

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2018
Sucks! I just bought a new Apple Pencil too in September. Could I do some type of trade in?

jetho

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2016
Is the old pencil compatibile with the new iPad Pros? I only use the pencil occasionally when editing photos, so I have no real reason to upgrade if I can still use it.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Ordered the new one to go with my new 12.9" iPad Pro. Kinda wish I hadn't bought that Apple Pencil last year, but eventually my kid will use it as a hand me down once she has a device able to use it.

This seems to address all of my gripes.
  • It won't lose the cap
  • It has a flat edge so it won't roll away
  • It charges without having to be plugged into the iPad or anything
  • It pairs seamlessly
  • It attaches to the side (and without battery drain issues like third party cases have sensing the screen next to it)
  • It now supports a gesture to toggle modes, assign to undo key, etc.
It costs more at $129, but for that price, I think it's worth all the additional benefits. It just sucks for those of us who more recently purchased an Apple Pencil.

Signup

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2016
I love the new iPad Pro and I would love it even better if I can connect it to the new Mac Mini through that connection port or wirelessly over WiFi so I can get a little bit of Mac on my iPad Pro as an output or Mac interface when I need it. I use iOS more than I use my MacBook so a Mac Mini would be ideal with iPad Pro with that pencil and folio keyboard.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The new Apple Pencil looks great, and I think the magnetic wireless charging is brilliant, however; I just can’t justify the price point being I did wouldn’t have a need for this personally, unless its for someone that’s into [sketching or heavy note-taking], this wouldn’t be for me. But the version two of the Apple Pencil looks to be very successful for what it’s offering.

Reactions: pat500000

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
Yep, typical Apple pricing.
And no, it will not work on the prior iPad Pros, only the new ones.

I don't think we can say this for sure yet, until someone actually tries. I can't imagine why the functionality of using the Pencil would be different. Charging, and pairing could be an issue, but frankly I'd be a little surprised if there weren't some sort of work-arounds to the pairing. Charging will most definitely require an adapter of some sort. The only way it wouldn't work is if Apple kills the code in the older iPad software, assuming the physical issues can be solved.

Is the old pencil compatibile with the new iPad Pros? I only use the pencil occasionally when editing photos, so I have no real reason to upgrade if I can still use it.

According to the website, no. However, I can't imagine the functionality isn't supported. The pairing seems to be the primary issue. I just can't imagine there's no work around to it though. At a minimum, a simple USB-C dongle to Lightning to enable that functionality. Although, Apple would have to support it, even if a Third party could bring a dongle to market.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.