Apple Announces New Line of Beats Headphones With W1 Wireless Chip

liquidsuns

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
I'm actually pretty bummed they don't use lightning to charge. Seems like a rather odd choice. Still gotta keep that mini-micro-whateveritis USB cable around :(

Reactions: boston04and07

Crzyrio

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
Anyone else notice the Solo's went from 12 to 40 hours battery life? Is that the result of the W1 chip? :S

coolfactor

macrumors 601
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
For those of you who were hoping for new Macs I feel deeply sorry for you. Even if I don't care about Macs. You were always mentioning it.
If you don't care about Macs, what is your preferred computer operating system? Nothing beats the elegance of Macs, but Linux comes very close.

Reactions: Equitek

subjonas

macrumors 68020
Feb 10, 2014
The headphones will pair with your iPhone and simultaneously connect to your Apple Watch and Mac.​
And iPad.

And for anyone else who didn't know which is which, left to right it's X, solo, power.

Question though- Do these also do the smooth audio switching between your Apple devices like the AirPods do?

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
I'm actually pretty bummed they don't use lightning to charge. Seems like a rather odd choice. Still gotta keep that mini-micro-whateveritis USB cable around :(
It really does seem like an odd omission, doesn't it? Especially since the Beats Pill + and the new Beats X headphones both use Lightning. I was sort of on the fence about the new Solos anyway but will pass on them at least till they get Lightning.

liquidsuns

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
It really does seem like an odd omission, doesn't it? Especially since the Beats Pill + and the new Beats X headphones both use Lightning. I was sort of on the fence about the new Solos anyway but will pass on them at least till they get Lightning.
Well according to the beatsbydre site, they do use lightning. I dunno.

liquidsuns

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
Wait, really? Where are you seeing this? I just checked and the Solo 3's are still listed as using micro USB from my end...:(
I guess it's just the new BeatsX that use lightning. Sorry for getting your hopes up. But that makes it even odder that they didn't update the solo and powerbeats to lightning.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
I guess it's just the new BeatsX that use lightning. Sorry for getting your hopes up. But that makes it even odder that they didn't update the solo and powerbeats to lightning.
Oh no worries. You're right though, it's strange. I mean, the Pill Plus got lightning a while ago. I figured that the only reason the Solos didn't get it was because their design was already set in stone by the time of the Apple acquisition, whereas the Pill Plus was the first Beats product designed in-house by Apple. Maybe they didn't want to go to the trouble of redesigning the specifications of the Solo's outer case, idk, but either way it's pretty disappointing.

Kyle4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2010
Canada
I'm a little confused also. If you look here at the specs, it looks like just plain old BT.

If you scroll down to the compatibility section is lists about every Apple BT device ever all the way back to the first iPhone. So I'm confused about what this M1 chip is adding to the picture?
It looks like (at least for newer devices running iOS10) that the W1 chip dramatically increases battery life in the headphones (from 12 to 40 hours for the Solo 3s) and makes the setup process easier. Now when you pair with one device it automatically pairs it with all of your others.

Reactions: Weaselboy

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
It looks like (at least for newer devices running iOS10) that the W1 chip dramatically increases battery life in the headphones (from 12 to 40 hours for the Solo 3s) and makes the setup process easier. Now when you pair with one device it automatically pairs it with all of your others.
Thank you for the explanation. That makes sense.

joshi3joshi

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2007
I just got my powerbeat2, I think they are out of return period.. I'll do the same. No increased battery information.

Also no studio, that's what I was waiting for
The powerbeats 3 have actually increased to 12 hrs of battery life, from the powerbeats 2 which had 5-6 hr