Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Confused.

Go down at the bottom and you can find:
Magic Keyboard is sold separately. Compatible with iPad Air (M2), iPad Pro 11-inch (1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th generation), iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th generation), and iPad Air (4th and 5th generation).

So is this the truth or just a copy page mistake? Can the new keyboard compatible with older iPad Pro?
I’m not sure why you would want to use it with the previous iPads. It’s designed for a thinner ipad so even if the magnets and Smart Connector align, which they might, you wouldn’t be able to close it all the way. At best it would be somethign you kept on your desk at which point just get a significantly cheaper BT keyboard and mouse/trackpad. It’s also designed to hold a light ipad vertically at the hinge so a heavier ipad would make it unstable and want to tip backwards.

meMC83

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2024
Liverpool, England. UK.
During the announcement, Apple highlighted how much the new trackpad felt like you were using a MacBook. Is this a hint as to what may come in iPadOS 18?

Maybe some functions of iPadOS 18 will behave more like macOS? 🤔

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Has Apple even confirmed it’s backlit? I don’t see any verbiage about this on the product page like I do for the last-gen keyboard.

Reactions: VulchR

StuBeck

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
Man you add this to an iPad Pro and you're past the price of an M3 MacBook Air.
This is why my wife went away from Apple for a bit. For grad school she needed a replacement for her MBA, and wanted a touch screen which could still run her lab equipment. At the time, the only solution from Apple was a $3500, two device option. Meanwhile she could get a Surface that did everything in one for $1k.

NufSaid

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2015
ÜT: 41.065573,-83.668801
I have the original keyboard and it is so good and it is durable.

This turns the ipad much more computer like with the extra keys. I can see this being a bonus. I am often buying used one or two generations behind, but this will be very nice in a year or two.

bscheffel

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2008
to all the "$300+ for a keyboard is crazy" comments (and there are many).

1. It isn't just a keyboard, it's also a case and a trackpad. If you bought these items separately it would cost - $99 for folio case + $99 for Magic Keyboard (without Touch ID which is $140) + $109 for Magic Trackpad. The total for those is $310 and it has backlighted key which Magic Keyboard alone doesn't have. So the price isn't really that much higher compared to other Apple products.

2. The product has gotten better and the price hasn't changed and it's been this price for a while so why the sudden shock?

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Has Apple even confirmed it’s backlit? I don’t see any verbiage about this on the product page like I do for the last-gen keyboard.
From their site...

Screenshot 2024-05-08 at 11.50.03 AM.png

Reactions: WilliamG

sleeptodream

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2022
Which makes me wonder why, if they can do a dual OLED 13" display on an iPad, that they are still stuck on LCD for the MacBook Air? Is macOS really worth that much of a premium?
I think an LCD for macOS makes more sense, with how many static elements are displayed most of the time like the dock, menu bar, etc

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
During the announcement, Apple highlighted how much the new trackpad felt like you were using a MacBook. Is this a hint as to what may come in iPadOS 18?

Maybe some functions of iPadOS 18 will behave more like macOS? 🤔
That is my dream…Apple finally announces that the iPad Pro, when connected to an applicable keyboard, allows you to boot into macOS…

Reactions: meMC83

MallardDuck

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2014
And avoiding a long overdue touch screen on a macbook .... please
Yes please, let's avoid that.

If they ever do it, it better be an option and not the only choice. But seriously, from an ergonomic standpoint, lifting your hands from the keyboard/trackpad causes a cognitive context switch, which slows down work. Plus holding your arm unsupported is going to be difficult for extended periods of time.

I'd much rather see the gaps in iPadOS closed - like implementing a real file system that prevent running real apps on it (not everything can/should live in the cloud).

Reactions: FriendlyMackle

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I think with the base storage Pro starting at £999 and the keyboard at £299, you are at the point where surely the question needs to be asked whether its just better buying a laptop?

Lets face it the Pro is for productivity and I see no benefit spending £1300+ on a tablet when better output can be achieved on a dedicated laptop. The prices are absolutely crazy here and I really don't know who these are aimed at in all honesty.

Reactions: mvdrl

Razorpit

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2021
The iPad Pro has actually dropped more functionality than its gained, which is pretty well nothing. I'm sure the OLED screens are nice to look at, but they don't add anything functionality wise.

But either way, I really don't see the point until the OS is less locked down (in whatever way).
What do you mean by dropped more than it gained?

I have a M1 iPad Pro. The best keyboard is the Logitech. The keyboard detaches when I need to watch. It’s super protective (I’ve dropped my previous one a couple of times, no damage), trackpad, shortcut keys. Best of all, it’s usually on sale for less than $150.
Same scenario. Mine has been on from day 1 and has traveled North America. Perfect addition for the perfect price.

to all the "$300+ for a keyboard is crazy" comments (and there are many).

1. It isn't just a keyboard, it's also a case and a trackpad. If you bought these items separately it would cost - $99 for folio case + $99 for Magic Keyboard (without Touch ID which is $140) + $109 for Magic Trackpad. The total for those is $310 and it has backlighted key which Magic Keyboard alone doesn't have. So the price isn't really that much higher compared to other Apple products.

2. The product has gotten better and the price hasn't changed and it's been this price for a while so why the sudden shock?
Look at Logitech. Nearly identical, sometimes even more functionality for half the price.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
the keyboard does look good now like a MacBook and the trackpad good to see it bigger but will still feel small coming from the MacBook though.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
I’m not sure why you would want to use it with the previous iPads. It’s designed for a thinner ipad so even if the magnets and Smart Connector align, which they might, you wouldn’t be able to close it all the way. At best it would be somethign you kept on your desk at which point just get a significantly cheaper BT keyboard and mouse/trackpad. It’s also designed to hold a light ipad vertically at the hinge so a heavier ipad would make it unstable and want to tip backwards.
There was great consternation here when the new Magic Keyboard was introduced with the M1/2 iPad Pros. Many argued with me and others that the original MKB would not work because the new iPads were a millimeter or so thicker. That proved to not be an issue, and my original MKB works perfectly with both of the newest iPads. I can see how the just announced MKB might not work with the previous iPads but that is yet to be confirmed; the weight of the previous 12.9s could present a stability issue but many could deal with that easily, if that were the only issue. Apple never acknowledged until much, much later that the old MKB ”could” work with the then newest iPads.

So, the fact that the store does not show that the new M4 MKB will work with older iPads means nothing. Only when people have them in hand will that be truly known. By the same token there is no confirmation that the previous MKBs will not work with the new M4 iPad. Again we won’t know until next week. From the dimensions I’ve seen posted of the new iPad Pro 13 inch, it is less than one millimeter longer (landscape) and the same width as the previous 12.9 ones. As long as that <1 millimeter doesn’t interfere with the connectors on the previous MKB and the M4 ipad I don’t see a reason they wouldn’t work. Again we won’t know until next week. I’m not ordering any new accessories till I have the device in hand.

Reactions: darngooddesign

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
You’re correct. My advice back then was to simulate the thickness difference with paper or cardboard. One difference is that aluminum is hard and inflexible so it’s probably more damaging to the glass screen and there’s more if a thickness difference with the M4s. Could just be apple protecting itself from liability by saying they are incompatible.

Reactions: papbot

MacTiki

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2008
These prices are so offensive.
The serpent knew what he was doing when he offered Eve a bite of the fruit.

If people keep eating from this Apple they might ended up following in her footsteps broke and out on the street.

brofkand

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2006
The serpent knew what he was doing when he offered Eve a bite of the fruit.

If people keep eating from this Apple they might ended up following in her footsteps broke and out on the street.

Literally everything they announced today is at least $100 too expensive. With the possible exception of the Pencil.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
There was great consternation here when the new Magic Keyboard was introduced with the M1/2 iPad Pros. Many argued with me and others that the original MKB would not work because the new iPads were a millimeter or so thicker. That proved to not be an issue, and my original MKB works perfectly with both of the newest iPads. I can see how the just announced MKB might not work with the previous iPads but that is yet to be confirmed; the weight of the previous 12.9s could present a stability issue but many could deal with that easily, if that were the only issue. Apple never acknowledged until much, much later that the old MKB ”could” work with the then newest iPads.

So, the fact that the store does not show that the new M4 MKB will work with older iPads means nothing. Only when people have them in hand will that be truly known. By the same token there is no confirmation that the previous MKBs will not work with the new M4 iPad. Again we won’t know until next week. From the dimensions I’ve seen posted of the new iPad Pro 13 inch, it is less than one millimeter longer (landscape) and the same width as the previous 12.9 ones. As long as that <1 millimeter doesn’t interfere with the connectors on the previous MKB and the M4 ipad I don’t see a reason they wouldn’t work. Again we won’t know until next week. I’m not ordering any new accessories till I have the device in hand.
It's looking like the old MK might be compatible, at the very least while open, because the Smart Connector has not moved. Logitech just released their M4 Smart Connector case and they work with the previous iPads. Only thing which could stop it is if the camera bump is larger, the magnets have moved, or Apple has software restricted it for some reason like it being top heavy and unstable.

Last edited:
Reactions: papbot
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.