Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tobybrut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2010
Doesn’t the 2nd gen pencil work with the new iPad Pros?
I doubt it. There’s no place to charge it. There’s a reason Apple had to cobble together that USB-C Pencil to work with the base iPad. The charger and magnets had to be moved so the landscape camera could be relocated.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the second generation Pencil works with the new iPads, but only until its charge runs out. Then you’d have to find an older iPad to charge it. That makes it logistically impractical.

Reactions: G5isAlive

Jamie0003

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2009
Norfolk, UK
Reactions: Kal Madda

tobybrut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2010
Are people at the hands on events not allowed to talk about the magic keyboard? I’m not seeing any first looks/impressions. And clearly no one was allowed to shoot video because there’s nothing on YouTube.
Give it time. All those YouTubers are probably still in the room they always have for doing hands on demos. It’s only been an hour since the event ended. Expect a slew of new videos over the course of the day.

Reactions: FriendlyMackle

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Mar 19, 2008

RUQRU

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2011
***WITSEC***

Apple at its "Let Loose" event today announced a new Magic Keyboard for the latest iPad Pro models, with a thinner, lighter design.

f-157980180c661f30ff9611287c90241baf30faff.jpg

Apple says the Magic Keyboard has been redesigned to be thinner and lighter, while maintaing the same floating design.

Two colors are available that match the new iPad Pro. New features include a function row with screen brightness controls, an aluminum palm rest, and a larger trackpad with haptic feedback. Apple claims that thanks to the trackpad, working on iPad Pro "feels just like using a MacBook." The new Magic Keyboard can be pre-ordered today and will be available next week, with the 11-inch model priced at $299 and the 13-inch version costing $349.

Article Link: Apple Announces Redesigned Magic Keyboard for New iPad Pro Starting at $299
Just ordered one.

rosskuchin

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2014
Regarding the Pencil Pro, the charging/pairing changed to accommodate the landscape camera so which do you think is better?

1. Pencil Pro backwards compatibility but with a portrait camera
2. No backwards compatibility but with a landscape camera.
How is this even a question? You mean to tell me this trillion dollar company couldn’t find a solution that does both? Like say, moving the charging point of for the pencil to the side where they have more room (and honestly, the pencil on the side when in landscape would be great)? Or keeping the magnets in the same place inside the pencil so that it sits off center? Or making the bezel, what, like a millimeter thicker around the sides to accommodate the required magnets and the camera?

Or even releasing a version of the pencil pro that has compatibility with older models? I swear people will make any excuse for this company sometimes…

And to specifically answer your question, the camera on the side of the iPad has been fine for every generation so far. I would much rather they kept it there if it meant compatibility with older products. It’s not like the camera on the side was only showing video in portrait, it shot in landscape too…

It doesn’t even make business sense. I was fully ready to buy both the new case and pencil, but I won’t buy a whole new iPad just for them. And I’m a freakin fanboy typing comments on a Macrumors thread. Do you really think the average joe or even average artist is going to? This is nothing but greed, Apple has always been greedy, they are a business, some level of greed is expected, but the last few years in particular have been painful.

ozdy

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2022
I hope this is not of low quality like Apple Smart Folio... I had two of them fail right after the two-year warranty period. The keyboard did not recognize my typing and default on-screen keyboard appeared. I tried every troubleshooting step possible, but had no success.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I doubt it. There’s no place to charge it. There’s a reason Apple had to cobble together that USB-C Pencil to work with the base iPad. The charger and magnets had to be moved so the landscape camera could be relocated.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the second generation Pencil works with the new iPads, but only until its charge runs out. Then you’d have to find an older iPad to charge it. That makes it logistically impractical.

I don’t think so, since it doesn’t magnetically connect and pair with the new Air and Pro. That’s because they had to move the magnets to accommodate the landscape camera.

The reason I ask is because during the event they showed the Apple Pencil attached to the top of the new iPad Pro when announcing that the front facing camera was moving, saying: “And a completely new charging and pairing system for Apple Pencil”. This was before they announced the new magic keyboard and pencil pro. They sure made it seem like the pencil 2 would work with the new Pros.

IMG_1432.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: AlexMac89

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
Yes they are backlit?

I want to know about the viewing angle - is it shallower in range given the larger trackpad and added function row?
yep... I've been looking at the pictures of the new one and then looking at my current 11 inch iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard and I'm trying to figure out how they made the function rows fit and the trackpad bigger, because it still has to fit the dimensions of the iPad Pro itself since it acts as a cover. Ordered it anyway and I'm sure Apple made it great, I've been very happy with my 2018 iPad Pro / keyboard / pencil combo and it justified me upgrading after 6 years as it is my primary travel computer and I travel nearly half the week, every week.

Joseph C

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2009
yep... I've been looking at the pictures of the new one and then looking at my current 11 inch iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard and I'm trying to figure out how they made the function rows fit and the trackpad bigger, because it still has to fit the dimensions of the iPad Pro itself since it acts as a cover. Ordered it anyway and I'm sure Apple made it great, I've been very happy with my 2018 iPad Pro / keyboard / pencil combo and it justified me upgrading after 6 years as it is my primary travel computer and I travel nearly half the week, every week.
Take a look at my post above - it's a crude mockup which assumes the keycaps are the same size but looks about right!

As with the original Magic Keyboard looks like one of those things that will be very hard to judge until reviews, or in person really.

tobybrut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2010
The reason I ask is because during the event they showed the Apple Pencil attached to the top of the new iPad Pro when announcing that the front facing camera was moving, saying: “And a completely new charging and pairing system for Apple Pencil”. This was before they announced the new magic keyboard and pencil pro. They sure made it seem like the pencil 2 would work with the new Pros.

View attachment 2375491
The two Pencils look exactly the same, but they didn’t say WHICH Pencil was attached to the Air. They glossed over it so they could mention the new Pencil at the end of the presentation. Whether that was a new Pencil was the first thought I had when they showed that image. It had to be in order for them to relocate the camera.

tobybrut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2010
In that side-by-side image, you can see the new iPad Pro overhangs the keyboard by probably close to an inch less than the prior iPad/keyboard. That’s how they’re making room for the larger touchpad and function row. The lighter weight of the new iPad makes that possible. The previous Magic Keyboard has a hinge that angles in towards the keyboard pushing the iPad forward and cutting off more of the keyboard’s surface area. With a lighter iPad, the hinge can be more vertical, pushing the iPad further back and still be able to counterweight properly. With a hinge like that, an older and heavier iPad would topple over.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
How is this even a question? You mean to tell me this trillion dollar company couldn’t find a solution that does both? Like say, moving the charging point of for the pencil to the side where they have more room (and honestly, the pencil on the side when in landscape would be great)? Or keeping the magnets in the same place inside the pencil so that it sits off center? Or making the bezel, what, like a millimeter thicker around the sides to accommodate the required magnets and the camera?

Or even releasing a version of the pencil pro that has compatibility with older models? I swear people will make any excuse for this company sometimes…

And to specifically answer your question, the camera on the side of the iPad has been fine for every generation so far. I would much rather they kept it there if it meant compatibility with older products. It’s not like the camera on the side was only showing video in portrait, it shot in landscape too…

It doesn’t even make business sense. I was fully ready to buy both the new case and pencil, but I won’t buy a whole new iPad just for them. And I’m a freakin fanboy typing comments on a Macrumors thread. Do you really think the average joe or even average artist is going to? This is nothing but greed, Apple has always been greedy, they are a business, some level of greed is expected, but the last few years in particular have been painful.
The case is designed for a thinner iPad and wouldn’t close properly on your fatter one. Since it’s aluminum and inflexible it would prob crack your screen glass.

Besides due to your iPad being heavier and the new MK design you probably wouldn’t like how it would feel less stable and tip backwards more easily when you tapped the screen. Just look at the side view of both MKs.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
The two Pencils look exactly the same, but they didn’t say WHICH Pencil was attached to the Air. They glossed over it so they could mention the new Pencil at the end of the presentation. Whether that was a new Pencil was the first thought I had when they showed that image. It had to be in order for them to relocate the camera.
Yeah when you go to the buy page the only options for the Pro are the Pencil Pro and the USB-C Pencil. Kinda shady the way they showed it in the presentation because it looks like it attaches exactly the same way as the previous one did. So if you have the old magnetic pencil I guess you sell it? Or Apple recycles it? Thankfully I rarely used mine so I won’t miss it.

• Angry
Reactions: AlexMac89

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005

View attachment 2375491

Looking at the Apple website it now shows the Pencil 2 as only compatible up through generation 6 of the iPad Pro (the M2) and NOT compatible with the M4 7th generation. It appears ONLY the Pencil Pro AND the cheaper USB-C Pencil are compatible with the new M4 iPad Pro.

Reactions: Rogifan
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.