Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
1. Don't own Blu-ray player
2. Don't own high def television (but do have nice computer)
3. Convenience
4. Format neutrality

That said, those aren't compelling reasons to me either.
:D

I think the only reason someone might buy these is because they have an AppleTV and no blu-ray player.

PS: has anyone seen someone with an AppleTV in the wild? (MacRumors members definitely don't count)

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Good news about HD purchases. I agree with the poster that says that Apple needs to offer VOD. Storing an average sizes collection of HD movies can't be done on any shipping Mac without adding an after market HDD or external drive.

shneady

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2009
I'm waiting for the Apple TV update when Apple switches from 720p to 1080p before I waste my money on these.

I'm not paying an HD "upgrade" price.

You haven't been owning them. Cut the smugness.

If you have a plasma TV, why not? Just go for it. 720P on plasma blows 1080P on LCD out of the water any day! Now 1080p plasma, oooowwwweeeeee! This is guaranteed for sure... I'll go for it, no need to wait for 1080p...

I'm excited, I've been waiting on this forever!!!!:D:D:D

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
Good news about HD purchases. I agree with the poster that says that Apple needs to offer VOD. Storing an average sizes collection of HD movies can't be done on any shipping Mac without adding an after market HDD or external drive.

They are not overly big file size. The dual download of the SD/HD version of the Bond Movie comes out to just 4.92 GB.

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
I think this is pretty cool, even though I have a bluray player for some movies (or if I am tired one night) I might buy them through iTunes instead of getting the bluray. Also some blurays are over $30 so you can save a little

shneady

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2009
Oh yeah. BTW, blu-ray, you have just now become antiquated!!! It's just a matter of time before you're truly obsolete:(

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
I was surprised to see that when you purchase an HD TV show you get an SD copy as well for playback on your iPod/iPhone/older computers that can't handle HD. I hope that stays in place for HD movie purchases.

EDIT: Did not RTFA. Was slightly confused by TFA, then I finally saw the small print on the linked image. Bad eyesight + Small laptop screen + small print. Sorry.

Yay for HD + SD.

Undecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2005
California
I'm guessing it'll only work with HDCP compliant monitors/tvs/gpus, will have to wait and see on that one.

That's a really good point. The Apple TV currently does not have such a limitation, and my "TV" (a projector) doesn't have HDCP. Maybe I shouldn't rush to buy the mini after all.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I guess if you get a 1TB iMac, you'll be good for some time.

I've been sticking to the rental model on my tv though. I don't often watch a movie more than 2 or 3 times tops. Most just once.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Awesome and all...

But with their captioned movies from a measly 90+ down to a pathetic ~15 now, I'm probably never going to buy or rent any movies from them.

Not Apple's fault entirely, the studios are being pathetic about this - many DVDs already have closed captioning (not subtitles), and QuickTime supports the very same codec! Why don't they just...

Argh, they're so stupid.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Oh yeah. BTW, blu-ray, you have just now become antiquated!!! It's just a matter of time before you're truly obsolete:(

Completely uninformed.

This only the first trumpet as the battle begins. iTunes downloads are the Riders of Rohan charging against the hordes of Sauron on the plain in front of Minas Tirith.

We are NOWHERE near being done with this war.

Super Hi-Vision will come out on disk format at about the same time as 1080p downloads become feasible in the United States.

Think Oliphaunts charging against the Riders after the Riders had beaten the snot out of the orcs (current disk 1080p offerings).

Downloads will NOT beat optical media until after 2020.

BonesSK

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2007
that's practically the price of a bluray...

... Why would you pay for a hi-def download when you could get a better quality DVD?

Umm.. no physical media.. dont' have to go anywhere to buy it.. plays on ipods etc etc.. don't have to buy a blu-ray player to watch HD.. on and on and on

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
US only, I assume...? :(

Attachments

• iTunes.jpg
    iTunes.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 93

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I'm guessing it'll only work with HDCP compliant monitors/tvs/gpus, will have to wait and see on that one.

Great point. The inclusion of DisplayPort in MacMini's and iMacs is probably the reason why Apple is now able to offer this.

I'm gonna read the fine print. This may be just for people with DisplayPort enabled Mac's.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
This only the first trumpet as the battle begins. iTunes downloads are the Riders of Rohan charging against the hordes of Sauron on the plain in front of Minas Tirith.

Think Oliphaunts charging against the Riders after the Riders had beaten the snot out of the orcs (current disk 1080p offerings).

What a geek! :D

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
HD what? Which HD?

Is Apple releasing these HD movie downloads as 720p, 1080i, or 1080p?

They are all HD and they are NOT the same. I want 1080p and no less than that.

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
Great point. The inclusion of DisplayPort in MacMini's and iMacs is probably the reason why Apple is now able to offer this.

I'm gonna read the fine print. This may be just for people with DisplayPort enabled Mac's.

It'll play on any Mac/PC that can handle HD content. If you have any doubts d/l some of the free TV shows in HD and see how they look and sound on your computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.