Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced Sign In With Apple at WWDC, allowing users to log in to apps and services using your Apple ID in a highly secure manner.

f1559583712.jpg

Apple is releasing a new API to allow developers to add the new sign-in function to their apps for a more convenient way of logging in using Face ID without revealing additional personal information

When logging in users can choose to reveal or hide their email address, or get Sign In With Apple to generate a unique random, anonymous email address that can be managed for specific apps, giving users more control of their data.

The new sign-in feature is coming with Apple's new operating systems this fall and will be available across macOS, iOS, and through websites.

Article Link: Apple Announces 'Sign in With Apple' for Signing into Apps Using Your Apple ID

Bin Cook

Suspended
Jun 16, 2018
I can't see companies adopting this as the reason a lot of sites want users to sign in with facebook is to harvest data.
I hope i'm wrong.

Yeah, good luck to Apple on that. Once sites realised what people were doing with gmail, all of a sudden the plus sign wasn’t accepted in email addresses.

It’s a cool theory and nice of Apple to ship it but they are reliant on third parties with no incentive to cooperate.

Comment

Ramchi

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
India
When you register first time, Facebook has your data, such as email id, mobile number etc.....unless, Apple wants Facebook and others to use this random generated emailid for SIGNING UP first time, this is just a fancy way of logging in iOS platform, nothing else

Comment

MICHAELSD

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
I use login with Facebook whenever possible since it’s more convenient, so this could definitely take off.

Comment

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Europe
I can't see companies adopting this as the reason a lot of sites want users to sign in with facebook is to harvest data.
I hope i'm wrong.
I think you have that backwards. Facebook/Google wants to harvest data. The companies adopting Facebook/Google sign-in API is because they want users, and using that API reduces the friction of getting users substantially.

Comment

Platocplx

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2018
I love the shade they were throwing at Facebook and Google. This focus on privacy is what keeps me coming back to Apple products, even if they’re expensive.

Exactly. Facebook and Google can provide “free” products because they are harvesting peoples data. They made privacy into a premium because of these practices. The open letter googles CEO made about Apple making privacy a premium is hilarious because it really does cost something to keep things private the same as their lack of privacy costs something. Our data.

Comment

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Assume you use this to sign up for an account in some app. Does Apple also offer web-based authentication outside of the app, so you could e.g. log in to an associated web page in any browser?

Comment

ealeks

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2018
Comment

bartszyszka

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2004
New York, NY
Will this work on Windows and Android devices? What if I create an account using "Sign in with Apple" and want to sign into it wit an Android phone or Windows computer? Will I have no way of using that account (which might be for a product like Spotify that has personalization features I might be invested in) and be forced to create a separate one?

Comment

dfs

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
California

Apple today announced Sign In With Apple at WWDC, allowing users to log in to apps and services using your Apple ID in a highly secure manner.

f1559583712.jpg

Apple is releasing a new API to allow developers to add the new sign-in function to their apps for a more convenient way of logging in using Face ID without revealing additional personal information

When logging in users can choose to reveal or hide their email address, or get Sign In With Apple to generate a unique random, anonymous email address that can be managed for specific apps, giving users more control of their data.

The new sign-in feature is coming with Apple's new operating systems this fall and will be available across macOS, iOS, and through websites.

Article Link: Apple Announces 'Sign in With Apple' for Signing into Apps Using Your Apple ID

I feel sorry for the man who owns 1Password because he seems like a nice guy. But if this technology gets of the ground isn't he going to have make his living by selling aluminum siding?

Comment

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2018
Around
I feel sorry for the man who owns 1Password because he seems like a nice guy. But if this technology gets of the ground isn't he going to have make his living by selling aluminum siding?
This type of stuff has been around for a while. The bad thing is that it locks you into the eco system. You also still need a password for you Apple ID, not everyone uses Apple, and people like me who will never use this type of feature. If Apple ruled 90% of the market, maybe... but they aren't even close.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.