Apple Announces Support for NFC Tags That Trigger Apple Pay

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 13, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

At the TRANSACT Conference in Las Vegas back in early May, Apple VP of Apple Pay Jennifer Bailey detailed some new Apple Pay features that Apple will be rolling out in the future.

As noted by Scott Harkey and Steve Moser on Twitter, Bailey outlined support for new NFC stickers or tags that will trigger Apple Pay for a payment without needing to have an app installed.

[​IMG]

When you tap these stickers, you will be able to make an Apple Pay payment quickly and easily. Apple is partnering with Bird (a scooter company), Bonobos (a clothing store) and PayByPhone parking meters for the rollout of the service.

With the latter service, you can pay a parking meter with Apple Pay and then add more time to your meter from anywhere so your parking doesn't expire.

Apple is also planning on an instant enrollment feature for loyalty cards in the Wallet app in the near future. Dairy Queen, Panera Bread, Yogurtland, Jimmy John's, Dave & Busters, and Caribou Coffee are all planning to launch services later this year that will use NFC tags allowing customers to sign up for loyalty cards.

The new Apple Pay features use NFC features that Apple first began allowing access to in iOS 11. We may hear more about these new features at WWDC, set to kick off on June 3.

Article Link: Apple Announces Support for NFC Tags That Trigger Apple Pay

2. farewelwilliams macrumors 68020

How about opening up NFC so that I can unlock my house/car by waving my iPhone on the door?

3. niji Contributor

niji

this is game breaking.
    this, and expanded support for Express Card apps/situations.
    both put apple and the iPhone in an amazing trajectory for much needed retail level pull for iPhone use, and, secure entry/ID situations.

4. oennich macrumors newbie

This is really cool and would be great if small vendors (e.g. farmer's market vendors) could just have an NFC tag in the future instead of having a whole POS + terminal/square setup.

5. niji Contributor

niji

love this idea! sooo easy. sooo pop-up.

6. falainber macrumors 65816

falainber

What's in it for Apple?

7. LiveM macrumors 65816

LiveM

You mean watch, right? Not sure I would want to be bothered getting my phone out just for that.

8. farewelwilliams macrumors 68020

My business.
    --- Post Merged, May 13, 2019 ---
    both.

9. thomas040 macrumors member

thomas040

10. LiveM macrumors 65816

LiveM

Except that it's sooooo late as to be humiliating.

Apple has been at the forefront of denial for too long. It's high time it accepted the end state of technologies in the same way it accepts that iPhones will end up as monoliths.

The sad reality is that today's news does not even represent half a step on the road to enabling the use of this VERY mature NFC tech for anything other than Apple Pay. It will take regulators using all their powers to get batteries to their inevitable end state (swappable), and it might just take the same kind of push for NFC to work for the people, too.

11. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

*scratching head* - you think Apple's been rolling Apple Pay out, out of the goodness of their heart?
    The reason that there's been so much negotiation to launch in each country is that the banks and credit card companies don't like sharing that pound of flesh that they extract per transaction....in many cases Apple's taking a very large portion of it....for doing virtually nothing than allowing NFS payments on their platform.

12. LiveM macrumors 65816

LiveM

I moved banks for Apple Pay. My old bank doesn't get so much as an ounce of flesh now.

13. MisterSavage macrumors 6502a

MisterSavage

Let me say yessssssss to more loyalty cards in my Apple Wallet. I love using my watch to get my loyalty card scanned at 7-11 and then paying with Apple Pay. So convenient and fast!

14. longofest Editor emeritus

longofest

I’ve been making exactly that case on Twitter in reply to that post

15. robbysibrahim macrumors regular

robbysibrahim

Exciting forward progress! I can see my physical wallet getting even more minimal in the near future.

My guess is Apple is also saying "about time" since NFC has been in their phones for <insert years>. But it's really out of their hands as partners can't adapt or are willing to let go of older tech as fast as Apple or other big tech companies would like them too. Apple probably had this vision for  Pay all along.

16. iGeneo macrumors regular

iGeneo

17. Jodeo macrumors regular

Jodeo

How about NFC pet chips so that when you find a stray (or someone finds your lost fur baby), a phone's wave can provide an ID.

18. Sasparilla, May 13, 2019
    Last edited: May 13, 2019

Sasparilla macrumors 65816

Sounds like it might be very useful - be better if this is an open standard so the Androidians can use it as well, would make it much more likely retailers would use it

19. wouwout, May 13, 2019
    Last edited: May 13, 2019

wouwout macrumors member

why not scan QR codes, like wechat and other Chinese payment solutions have been offering for years? Seems like the same functionality. That would be cross platform as well (and I've just answered my own question lol)

20. Sasparilla macrumors 65816

At least here in the U.S., I think the fee mentioned was 0.15 of a percent per transaction (0.0015) for credit cards etc.. Which doesn't seem like a whole heck of alot (especially compared to the banks who are take 3%+ per transaction). In Slovakia Apple is charging 0.2 of a percent (0.002) per transaction.

Is there some other place they're charging transaction fees that you know about (or higher fees)?

21. longofest Editor emeritus

longofest

That just takes you to a link to something (typically an app). It also doesn’t afford the ability to do challenge-response encryption for other use cases (access control, etc)

22. TheColtr macrumors 6502

I never thought about this but it is an awesome idea!

23. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

That parking meter solution sounds awesome. I love that.

24. Robert.Walter macrumors 65816

Clumsy, slow, waste of time. Nobody wants to have to open the camera app to do these things.

NFC is cross platform. Android could just as easily implement this too.

25. dwaite macrumors regular

dwaite

Microchipping your pet is a RFID spec operating at a different frequency than NFC. I would assume you'd need a separate RFID reader with its own antenna.