Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ShivneelSingh

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2011
You know this begs the question why can't the Macbooks get eSIM support? I know a lot of business customers would love cellular on their Macbooks without needing to use a hotspot.
This is a good option, but I’d rather use my hotspot that’s already offered by AT&T since there isn’t an extra fee added to my bill. If there’s an eSIM option on the MacBook, then I’m sure AT&T and other carriers will charge as an “add-on” for $15/mo., just like the Watch.
Also, it’s just so convenient now to use hotspot. If I’m not on WiFi, my MacBook always asks if I’d like to connect to my iPhone’s hotspot. Super fast and easy.

BP9906

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2009
Frankly 64gb is terrible for entry level. 128gb is on iPhone SE. 256gb entry level iPad is $599. Crazy.
Now it’s a year old and still over priced.

Reactions: Jovijoker

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023
Frankly 64gb is terrible for entry level. 128gb is on iPhone SE. 256gb entry level iPad is $599. Crazy.
Now it’s a year old and still over priced.
It's bad if you're into large apps like games.

If it is largely productivity apps then its good enough.

pugxiwawa

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2009
Just literally more landfill garbage knowing lighting is already dead, but Apple continues to pump out more outdated garbage.

Yet Tim feels entitled to spend 30 mins showing environmental video how much Apple is doing. Hypocrite and pathetic, really.

alchemistmuffin

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2007
China Unicom is currently the only supported eSIM carrier for the iPad in mainland China, according to a new Apple support document. eSIM support in mainland China requires a 10th-generation iPad (Wi-Fi + Cellular) with model number A3162. All other iPad and iPhone models do not have eSIM support in mainland China.
Which means eSIM is finally going to put into iPhones sold in China soon.

Which means Apple is likely going to direction of 100% eSIM only on ALL models very soon and not just in the US. (Which means more room for something like bigger battery)

Reactions: Razorpit

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Was expecting a new iPad to be launched. Maybe in the future, all cellular variants of iPads will switch to esim

WU27f1xcCs

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2022
Tim Cook era Apple has essentially destroyed Steve Jobs' original vision for the iPad especially when they tried (and continue to try) to market it as a laptop replacement, yet it fails in every aspect.

It's pretty depressing as the iPad used to be my favorite Apple thing and the Mac the thing I hated with a passion, but nowadays the roles have reversed. I finally got a Mac in 2021 and used macOS more and more over the iPad, that I barely touch my iPad anymore, preferring to just use my phone instead for any mobile computing. My current iPad is most likely going to be my last iPad
Interesting take. I have had the iPad since iPad 2 and continue to be amazed by how the device fits inside a form factor and works so well for browsing etc. I have a 2017 Pro and it is my only (non-work) device, no laptop. It is starting to show its age and for the first time in 12 years I’m actually considering a laptop.

mielie

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2020
Might seem like a trivial upgrade but I think introducing eSIM into China is actually quite significant.
It’s a shame that foreigners in China are forbidden from registering ESIMs
Last time I visited the mainland my eSim worked fine and for a period I also owned a Chinese SIM card as a foreigner so I would be surprised if they did ban foreigners now that they have an eSim enabled iPad. Its probably the beginning of the end for proper dual sim iPhones though, I managed to get my hands on one during a business trip and it was very convenient to actually be able to put 2 proper sims into an iPhone!

Reactions: iZac

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
Might seem like a trivial upgrade but I think introducing eSIM into China is actually quite significant.

Last time I visited the mainland my eSim worked fine and for a period I also owned a Chinese SIM card as a foreigner so I would be surprised if they did ban foreigners now that they have an eSim enabled iPad. Its probably the beginning of the end for proper dual sim iPhones though, I managed to get my hands on one during a business trip and it was very convenient to actually be able to put 2 proper sims into an iPhone!
You're right, haven't tried in a year or two so it may have changed. Just when I tried to set up an eSIM with China Unicom for my Apple Watch I was told in no uncertain terms that I needed a Chinese ID card to authorise it. I think the fear was/is that people could activate an eSIM all around the country making it harder to track someone based on their SIM history. Foreigners are obviously the most untrustworthy people so they limited it to Chinese Nationals only :)

I mean the obvious work-around was use someone else's ID but then it would link my regular SIM / contract with another person.

But yeah I'd guess eSIMs work for international roaming, it'll just cost you a fortune in data.

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY
This is the yearly iPad update. They’re making up for the iPad 3 and 4 releasing in the same year /s.

I’m not saying they’ve run out of ideas for the iPad. But, it’s strange that there wasn’t at least some sort of spec bump this year. The M1 is a three year old chip, why can’t they put that into the the base iPad and the mini? Surely it probably doesn’t cost too much to produce anymore (though admittedly, I have no idea 🤷‍♀️ ), and we know that chip is still being made for the iMac and MB Air.

I’d think if the M1 is the only change for them, that would make it a huge update for each product. But, this is Apple, and they might assume this could cannibalize the iPad Air and Pro’s revenue.

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
Apple also announced a price update for iPad 10th-gen where I live… All prices down by puny $20…!

Freaking seriously, they should have gotten rid of the 9th-gen and priced the 10th-gen where the 9th-gen is…

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
They probably have a software fix for that soon. They even are able to fix burn in in OLED on their iPhones with iOS17.1.
And Apple will be the first company on the planet to invent software-based modem. Now THIS is innovation. :D
/s

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.