Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Seanozz

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
Answer this!

If it's an iPhone 4 issue then why are 3GS phones running ios4 having the same issue??

I can cup my 3GS phone the way people are with the iPhone 4 and in 9-10 seconds I drop from 5 bars to 4. After letting go 9-10 seconds later I am right back to 5 bars.

So if they are going to do a recall then the 3GS would also be on that list. Or maybe the ios4 software is to blame?

Anyone running ios prior and having this issue???

Poll Smoker

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
Shhhh, no one wants to hear that your device is working well.

The Engadget staff says (each comment from a different staffer):

Yet somehow the naysaying engineer is suddenly a hero? :confused:

Hey folks, let's not let reality get in the way of a good scandal!

:rolleyes:

Is it hard for you to see the keyboard with Jobs' nutsack on your chin?

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
What are the odds that Ruben Caballero will be ushered into the press conference tomorrow looking like a hostage victim telling the world how kindly his kidnappers are treating him...but in Mr. Caballero's case it would be telling the world how wonderful the iP4's antennas are? Maybe with a bag over his head to cover the bruises of "encouragement" from the powers that be within Apple.

SOMEONE overruled their engineers. Is this like the Challenger launch where the seat warming management overruled the actual engineers?

I think that with the recent issues that Apple has been having (iPad WI-FI, iPhone 4, etc) that someone has taken their eyes off the past of Apple and potentially the quality of the engineering and potentially components are slipping.

Apple has proven to be their own worst enemy in the past. Maybe the obsession to out do Google and the 'droid's has effected Steve... His efforts to make 'the next thing' that rules the world got out of hand?

Let's wait and see what is said, and not said, tomorrow...

Wow a press conference.... its like a movie. :eek:

BTW... There will be NO RECALL... so don't start posting about how there will be one!!!!!!!!!!

Its a freakening signal issue that is 100% avoidable and fixable by the user. Recall is just stupid for such a non-critical issue.

Its people like you that the forums dont need. Now if you choose to be a fanboy then thats all well and good.

It doesnt take the brains of an archbishop to work out that the iP4 is not fit for purpose and all those saying stick a bumper on it should sit in the corner and ****. I dont get this whole defence of Apple and SJ.

The fact is this product is faulty simple. Apple will need to recall the device tomorrow or there is going to be an awful lot of people returning this excuse for a phone. i dont want to use my phone with a bumper and its not a requirement for the phone to function. It should perform as advertised regardless of where i hold it.

if SJ doesnt man up tomorrow then Apple can have this POS back. i dont give a **** about having an app to wipe my ass, make the tea, playing stupid games. i want a phone that make calls and then everything else is second to that not vice versa.

oahazmatt

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
I got my iPhone 4 delivered a week ago. It spent three days without a case. I made dozens of phone calls to my friends and intentionally tried to replicate the signal drop issue. I couldn't. I know of three others who bought the phone, and they haven't been able to replicate the issue either. Whatever the cause is, it is not affecting everyone.

It could possibly be an issue with phones that came off the first run. Perhaps they were not put together with as much care or attention. (Remember the still-wet bonding agent that caused the yellow discoloration?) Some have been able to fix the issue by simply re-seating the SIM card.

In fact, this isn't the only phone having an issue of this sort. There is a flaw in the Droid Eris that prohibited someone from contacting 911 at the scene of an automobile accident. I fail to see the same level of attention and objectivity being reported by the same sites that are cannibalizing Apple.

This is not an issue with faulty brakes on automobile. This is not an issue with a child's toy produced with deadly, toxic materials. This is not an issue where the phone needs to be rebooted to regain functionality. This is an issue with a phone, when held in a certain way, loses a call, and it is an issue that is solved by either moving a finger, purchasing a case, or insisting upon an exchange (as not all units are affected) or a refund.

Yes, it is a design flaw, but at the end of the day it is an inconvenience. An example of an Apple design flaw that was much more than an inconvenience was the 800 MHz G3 iBook (my first Apple purchase, incidentally). The GPU was shoddily soldered onto the underside of the logic board and would lose its connection with the socket, rendering the laptop unusable. That was an inexcusable design flaw, and even that Apple offered a free extended warranty to anyone who had purchased that model, much like they're doing with a series of Time Capsules that have been experiencing trouble.

I don't understand why everyone wants to destroy Apple (and by proxy Steve Jobs) over this issue. Is it because they "have it coming"? Is it because they "deserve it"? They introduced a product with a design defect, an inconvenient one at most, and it makes headlines as if the world as we know it is coming to an end. Buy a case, exchange the phone or demand a refund.

I know I'm either going to be labeled a fanboy, troll, or have responses stating "that's not the point", but I really don't care. The overreaction to a simple design flaw is climbing to hysterical levels. I don't care if he really said it or not, but I'm going to have to quote "Steve Jobs" and say:

It's just a phone.

UK-MacAddict

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2010
Wow a press conference.... its like a movie. :eek:

BTW... There will be NO RECALL... so don't start posting about how there will be one!!!!!!!!!!

Its a freakening signal issue that is 100% avoidable and fixable by the user. Recall is just stupid for such a non-critical issue.

Ok so how can I avoid and fix the issue if I want to the use the phone without any case whatsoever on it?

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
What's wrong with making profits? How many people are gainfully employed by Apple?

Seven. The number you are looking for is seven.

Didn't Steve say that they are run like a startup? That's why everything takes so long. Geez, guys!

nopple

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2010
Answer this!

If it's an iPhone 4 issue then why are 3GS phones running ios4 having the same issue??

I can cup my 3GS phone the way people are with the iPhone 4 and in 9-10 seconds I drop from 5 bars to 4. After letting go 9-10 seconds later I am right back to 5 bars.

So if they are going to do a recall then the 3GS would also be on that list. Or maybe the ios4 software is to blame?

Anyone running ios prior and having this issue???

Dude,
I think you are squeezing your old 3GS, not holding :D:D.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
To those who claim that the problem doesn't exist because it does not affect you, please try to shed your ignorant and blind view of life and realize that there is a much larger world out there. Not everyone has the same quality of signal that you do, not everyone holds the phone the same way you do, and not everyone uses a case (and shouldn't have to).

It's frustrating enough to deal with this issue, and quite offensive to be told that we are doing something wrong, or that the problem really doesn't exist. Please try to be considerate to those who are suffering from this flaw.

It's funny to be put down at the same time someone says show some respect.

You get what you give.

davyreins

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Ann Arbor
What do you think is going to happen? He's going to have Caballero's head on a platter and tell folks to not question Apple.

I don't think anything too extreme is going to happen. This sounds like a reasonable possibility to me:

They will talk about what a great launch iphone 4 was. They have sold well over 2.5-3 million units now. They are going to continue with rollout with international countries like China, South korea and other parts of Europe. They will talk about very small users have complained about iphone 4. Apple will allow people to return the product with no restocking fees. Also, apple will most likely issue 30-50 dollars apple store gift card. Since many people have already bought bumpers, they cannot just issue free ones. People will just return every single cases they have bought.
They will talk about white iphone and future software update for ipad.
Steve will probably criticize how unreliable consumer report is.

However, with this story leaking it makes whatever Steve says a little more intriguing.

macus3r

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2005
What's wrong with making profits? How many people are gainfully employed by Apple?

There's nothing wrong with profits. it becomes a "problem" when you're running a public company and your insides are available to be seen by anyone.

when people see that you're walking away with an average of 40 cents on the dollar for every product you sell, and you just so happen to be selling billions of dollars worth of product, folks get a bit jealous, and will play up any of your mistakes at your expense.

apple's a great company and appears to pay their employees well, from all ranks of the employee spectrum too.

good for the, but haters are gonna continue hating!

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
This is why the Apple Board needs to put a panel that can overrule Jobs. If a phone design sacrifices the thing you need a phone to do-- make a call, you need to scrap that design.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I I I

me me me

You don't matter.

I've never seen so many newbies in here. Things are getting pretty out of control right now. Haha, this is awesome. I mean settle down, everyone (puts away closet anarchist tendencies).

Giving a free bumper would be a recall. They are not going to give you another phone.

If what I am seeing with iOS4.1 holds true for others, I think this whole thing will be non-issue in a few days.

You wanna bet me on not getting a new phone??????? If tomorrow proves (and it will) that iP4 is hardware defective then guess what????? Thats right cowboy....... a new phone for me. If the white phones get released without the issue guess what?????? Thats right a new phone for me.

Why????

Cause i know my rights as a consumer and just because you think the sun shines outta steves ass doesnt mean Apple is above the trading standards of customers. So when i get my new phone ill let ya know. it will be interesting to see all those saying there isnt anything wrong with their handsets rushing to Apple to get replacements because deep down every single user knows the iP4 is faulty- the men admit it - the boys pretend because tey have this sad sad loyalty to a company who doesnt give a **** about you - only your money and Apple cant man up and admit liability.

shakesmonkey

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2010
No idea what they are going to say Friday, but at this point anything less than a recall (which I doubt they'll do) and mine is going back to the store. I really want to like it and if it was just an iPod touch it would be an amazing device.

But this thing has to be reliable as a phone and, right now, it isn't.

pardon me- but have you dropped more calls on the ip4 than on your 3gs?
i havent- in fact i used to drop calls in my house *all* the time. Now not a single dropped call...
ymmv
but b4 you make a blanket statement about being reliable - ask yourself how many issues you are experiencing as opposed to those that are being "reported" by others.

Andy-V

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007
I think they're going to gather the press up and tell them to stop reporting that the iPhone 4 is faulty and that there's nothing wrong.

I honestly think this is what is going to happen. Because Apple has this power.

shakesmonkey

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2010
Apple needs to issue a recall and please no bumpers bc they POS. I want to use my iPhone 4 the way it is and how you, Steve Jobs, promised it will !!

and exactly how have you been prohibited from using your ip4 the way it is?

have you dropped more calls with the ip4 than the 3gs?

Seanozz

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
Dude,
I think you are squeezing your old 3GS, not holding :D:D.

Lol

I wish I was. Though the signal dropping one bar isn't gunna kill me.

Strange I just pointed out the 3GS does the exact same thing yet everyone still just is tripping on the new one. Lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.