Apple Aperture 3 64-bit?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by GoodGuy12345, Apr 6, 2019.

1. GoodGuy12345 macrumors member

GoodGuy12345

I'm looking to use a copy of Aperture 3 for photo editing but, after the announcement of macOS Mojave that it is the last OS to support 32-bit programs. I was wondering if Aperture 3 was 64-bit, so it would prove useful to me even after macOS 10.14

Hopefully someone can check this in system information if you own this software.

Thanks!

2. chscag macrumors 68040

chscag

Aperture 3 is a 64 bit app and as such will run in macOS 10.15.X.

3. GoodGuy12345 thread starter macrumors member

GoodGuy12345

Thank you very much!

I'd look forward to using Aperture, moving on into the future.

4. Ledgem macrumors 68000

Ledgem

64 bit issues aside, Aperture isn't receiving updates to support the latest cameras. If you're either working with JPGs (which is a waste) or converting RAW files to DNG then you might be fine, but even though Apple may update the operating system to support viewing RAW files from newer cameras in Preview, it doesn't seem that Aperture gains the benefits of this compatibility. You might be forced onto other software for that reason, as I was.

5. robbybobs macrumors newbie

If it's 64bit, the system says it has 32-bit dependencies and refers to it as legacy software. Aperture is by far the best raw converter.

6. chscag macrumors 68040

chscag

It depends on whether the 32 bit dependencies are critical to running Aperture 3. I'm currently testing Catalina and have an app that is 64 bit with a 32 bit dependency but runs okay in Catalina. He'll just have to try Aperture 3 with Catalina to see how it behaves.

7. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

Don't I recall reading something from Apple saying that Aperture is not going to run AT ALL under Catalina...?

(I could be wrong)

8. Ledgem macrumors 68000

Ledgem

That was what was reported, yes. Unclear if it has to do with the 32-bit and 64-bit thing, but it's a fair assumption.