Apple App Store for Windows

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Manatee, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Manatee macrumors 6502a

Manatee

Apple should create a version of the App Store for Windows. It would be amusing to see Apple getting 30% of lots of apps sold for Windows PCs. Maybe they could make more from Windows software than Microsoft. :)

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Why not to create app store for Android in the same whim :rolleyes: I bet most Windows devs would not be ready to jump for Apple's wagon. Besides, Windows 8 will bring similar app store for Windows

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Steam and Games for Windows Live come to mind. It's rumored for Windows 8. I've even thought of some ideas for application sandbox packages to replicate the .app package system OS X uses and increase security for Windows applications.

All that work on virtualization and Hyper-V has to have some use outside of the enterprise.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Maybe because the app store for the mac sells OSX programs. Apple only has some windows apps only because they have too.

Also there's other competition, there's little incentive to invest in a windows version of the app store, since it will cost $$ to implement and getting a return on that investment would be a long shot.

5. Photics macrumors regular

Heh, thinking like that can lead to frustration. Like... why don't they just release Mac OS X for all Windows PCs? Apple likes to sell shiny - and more expensive - hardware. That's why! The software is just the catalyst.

It's like Nintendo... I think an iPhone version of Super Mario Bros would be cool, but that's not likely to happen... not soon anyway. If Apple crushes Nintendo with the popularity of iOS games, then maybe Nintendo will give up on the hardware business and make their games for all platforms. But right now, the Wii and the DS are moneymakers.