Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
I recently went to an Apple store and had an employee apply a ballon screen protector on my 11 pro. He used an applicator labeled X/XS. My question is should he have used an applicator specifically designed for the 11 pro since it is ever so slightly taller, wider, and thicker?

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
Does it cover all of the viewing area of the screen? If so, then you're fine. I've compared the protectors from my XS Max to the ones for my Pro Max and they're the exact same size. Different brands too, so it wasn't just the same product put in a re-branded, updated box.

Reactions: jakeuten

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Neither the glass protectors themselves nor the equipment have changed for the iPhone 11 series.

The bezel thickness on the 11 series has increased, not the viewable area. So no tool or material change is required.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
Yeah I know the protector is the same. I was just wondering if the applicator changed. I only ask because the one he used was labeled X/XS so they had to of updated it last year. Stands to reason they’d update it again

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Yeah I know the protector is the same. I was just wondering if the applicator changed. I only ask because the one he used was labeled X/XS so they had to of updated it last year. Stands to reason they’d update it again

That's only one possibility. It's simply a label on a tool. If it hadn't changed since the X, then an applicator purchased 2 years ago would have been labeled "X." If it had been purchased last year, it would be labeled "X/XS," and if they buy one now, maybe it's labeled "X/XS/11 Pro." Meantime, the instruction sheet probably says, "You can use the X/XS tool for the 11 Pro."

lrsone

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2012
New York, NY
It’s the same. Literally no need to purchase another one because it’ll still work for the 11 Pro as it did for the X/XS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.