Apple applies for patent to remotely disable jailbroken phones

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by nozebleed, Aug 21, 2010.

1. nozebleed macrumors 6502

2. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

I'm calling fake what does apple say about twitter

3. theNEOone macrumors 6502

Not "fake," just a misinterpretation. I'm not an Apple fan (although I like some of their products) but I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt on this one. Although the "feature" could potentially be used to disable jailbroken phones, I think the point is to identify malicious/nefarious hacking activities (no, I'm not including FT over 3G in this category). It's not meant to stop hacking for the sake of customization. Apple knows better than to (1) alienate customers and (2) break the law. It is legal to jailbreak, after all.

=|

4. SportyMac macrumors newbie

SportyMac

give me a brake, besides the legal issues on that matter...
    they dont even succeed in securing online banking....and now apple is gonna save the world because their blimmin phone gets jailbroken :rolleyes:

lovely, if its true!

5. Brother Esau macrumors 6502

Considering that the Government wants full control over our lives and everything that we do and wants to monitor our every move, I would say that people who Jailbreak are considered threats in their eyes because we dont want to be controlled and have our every move watched and documented so we pose a threat to them because we are independent thinkers and that makes us dangerous.

If any of you notice why is there no programs to securely wipe the data off of our iPhones and why do the Apps that do secure wiping seem to disappear from the internet , App Store or are only allowed to be purchased outside of the U.S? Because a smart phone can be used as evidence against you!

Anyone who is blind enough not to be aware that APPLE as Well as Microsoft are in Bed with the N.S.A are damn fools to think differently!

6. EthanNixon macrumors 6502a

EthanNixon

Apple and/or AT&T should be able to disable devices who are trying to get around the unlimited data bug, or tethering illegally. This also goes along the lines of other malicious activities too though.

You can wipe your iPhone via MobileMe.

7. Brother Esau macrumors 6502

Thats not a "Secure" Wiping method!

Seucre Wiping takes hours lad not minutes! I'm talking about unrecoverable data wiping as in you cannot recover data with forensic data recovery software.

8. labman macrumors 604

labman

Musclenerd tweeted about it but also notice the date in the request it was originally filed Jan 2009 before the government told Apple they couldn't restict JB so not sure how far this will get now. here is the tweet and link to the patten.

MuscleNerd

Here's a PDF of Apple's creepy "heartbeat" patent application http://is.gd/etxUa for those who can't reach the USPTO

if Apple did go through with this I can say they loose me as a customer. Not that they care but I have no need to buy expensive devices from Big Brother.