Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I have a feeling there are going to be some growing pains from enabling extensions. It's going to take Apple and developers several months to get things right. But in the end these are going to be great. Best feature of ios8

I agree. Developers have had to work in a bubble all this while, so there may be an initial "trial and error" period while everyone troubleshoots to see what works and what doesn't.

Basic extensions like enabling pocket extensions in safari shouldn't be a problem, but more complex ones might.

Hope Apple sorts them out fast.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Damn, I uninstalled and re-installed OmniFocus about 4 times, rebooted the phone, reset settings, all in hopes of getting the Today extension working. And it was Apple the whole time?

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
GM hasn't been released. There will be another release as some items have been pulled back.

----------

I agree. Developers have had to work in a bubble all this while, so there may be an initial "trial and error" period while everyone troubleshoots to see what works and what doesn't.

Basic extensions like enabling pocket extensions in safari shouldn't be a problem, but more complex ones might.

This is how it worked with every other iOS release so far. Do you think us developers got to test outside our own offices much before iOS 2 was released to the public? Or any of the other new APIs released in every version of iOS each time?

You test and resolve the issues you can internally and know you're going to have to made updates when it goes public. This is just part of being a developer on any platform when you want your product to hit as soon as the new platform goes public.

----------

I'm guessing that the already shipped iPhones will need 8.0.1 so we will likely see that available on Sept 19th.

That's pretty uncommon. Only time we saw something like that happen was a Verizon specific fix. Generally they wait for the bug fix release. You won't likely see one between iOS 8 release tomorrow and iPhone 6 release on Friday. There simply isn't enough time to find out all the issues, resolve, and test the fixes before then.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I'm just hoping some developer out there will create an extension that actually implements this otherwise abstract graphic:

ios_8_extensions_icon-250x250.jpg

It looks like something from a 3D version of Tetris, so naturally I assume it's the extensions icon.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I kind of expected iOS 7.0 to be glitchy because the entire UI was revamped (and it was) but there's really no excuse for how glitchy iOS 8.0 has been.

What the heck is going on over there?

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
I have the GM on my phone right now, can't wait for all the app updates tomorrow because stuff ain't working so great!

Also looking forward to 1Password app extensions!

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i will never understand why they didnt just give it its own springboard page. maybe on the left where the spotlight used to be would have been a lot better.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
I have a feeling iOS 8.0.1 will be coming very shortly after the release of iOS 8.0 tomorrow

the next update was already on MR a week or two ago, apples been working on it.

----------

I spent hours trying to figure out why the widget on my StepTracker update did not work in the iOS8 GM. I wish Apple would have just told us that this problem existed!!!!!

no sense in complaining about a beta OS -- it's for developers, not consumers.

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
GM hasn't been released. There will be another release as some items have been pulled back.

----------

This is how it worked with every other iOS release so far. Do you think us developers got to test outside our own offices much before iOS 2 was released to the public? Or any of the other new APIs released in every version of iOS each time?

You test and resolve the issues you can internally and know you're going to have to made updates when it goes public. This is just part of being a developer on any platform when you want your product to hit as soon as the new platform goes public.

----------

That's pretty uncommon. Only time we saw something like that happen was a Verizon specific fix. Generally they wait for the bug fix release. You won't likely see one between iOS 8 release tomorrow and iPhone 6 release on Friday. There simply isn't enough time to find out all the issues, resolve, and test the fixes before then.

#1 There will not be another GM. You think they are going to magically zap another GM software to the phones they have been producing the last months and shipped out?

#2 There is nothing there is nothing to be pulled back. SMS relay is already off, iCloud library can be removed remotely by deactivating it (the options is added dynamically).

#3 They would properly have had 1-2 months for bug fixing for 8.0.1. They didn't press build an hour before the keynote and called that iOS 8 GM, this had been in the creation long before that time.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Big backlog of submitted apps for approval. What usually takes under 30 hours now is over 4 days.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

They have had access to iOS8 betas.

It sounds like something is wrong with the GM. But they should have been able to see even that... before publishing.

----------

the next update was already on MR a week or two ago, apples been working on it.

----------

no sense in complaining about a beta OS -- it's for developers, not consumers.

It's not beta. It's the same build loaded on the phones in route to consumers. And is expected to be pushed to consumers tomorrow.

That's what Gold Master means.

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
I kind of expected iOS 7.0 to be glitchy because the entire UI was revamped (and it was) but there's really no excuse for how glitchy iOS 8.0 has been.

What the heck is going on over there?

A rush to get the iPhone released whether Xcode 6 or iOS 8 was ready.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
I have a feeling iOS 8.0.1 will be coming very shortly after the release of iOS 8.0 tomorrow

Probably but not for this issue. Unfortunately there are a lot of bugs in iOS 8. I can see several updates coming in short intervals.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.