Apple Apps -- do you delete the ones you don't use?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by ghanwani, Mar 9, 2015.

1. ghanwani macrumors 6502a

There are a bunch of Apple apps that I never use such as Game Center, Videos, Reminders, Newsstand, Podcasts, Tips, Health, and most recently, Apple Watch.

Do you guys keep these apps around, or just delete them?

2. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

3. ghanwani thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry I forgot about that. I guess I will just keep them all in a single folder so they don't take up real-estate on the screen.

4. Caris macrumors 6502a

Caris

If you go into restrictions you can disable the podcasts app, it's only one but it's better than nothing.

5. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

That's what I do, just call it Extras--:)

6. KALLT macrumors 601

It would be nice to remove some of them. I don’t think I ever opened Stocks or Tips and I’m really annoyed by Newsstand. However, it’s a small price to pay, especially since the competition is much worse. I think only Windows Phone has a low number of unremovable apps and with Apple you can at least put them in one folder and never see them again (unlike on Android or Windows Phone where they will still show up on your lists).

7. Rodster macrumors 68040

Someone on MR came up with an even better name...crAPPs

8. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

9. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Crapware is crapware... and with 8.2  added yet another piece of crapware with the  Watch app.

Last count, that makes 29 apps I can't delete or erase from my home screen. 29 apps! You sure the competition is worse?

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

I think there was also "crAPPle"

11. KALLT macrumors 601

A quick count on BlackBerry 10 revealed 25 unremovable apps (also on home screen), Windows Phone 26 (and they will show up in the application list). I can’t verify Android, but there are plenty of preinstalled apps from the device manufacturer that you can’t remove, including entire launchers (e.g. Samsung TouchWiz) and background services that you can’t even see. My mum’s ASUS tablet has a whole list of these additional services, even if they don’t have separate icons on the home screen (and some of these do consume battery power). Yes, I think Apple is doing pretty well, especially since you can put them in a bottomless folder and never see them again. However, don’t mistake this as an excuse, I don’t like irrelevant apps either. But it’s a nuance.

12. afsnyder macrumors 65816

I don't think that you can put Apple Watch Apps into folders...

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

Sure you can. Many already have done that. Why wouldn't you be able to?

14. RiddlaBronc macrumors 6502a

RiddlaBronc

I thought this was going to be of the ones that come pre-installed in the 64gb and up like imovie and such.

15. C DM macrumors Westmere

As in pre-installed but can be deleted? Unfortunately that's not the case.

16. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

right, cause the phone app, mail app, messages app, and all the things that you know make it a smartphone are "crapware" :roll eyes:

maybe a flip phone is more your speed

17. afsnyder macrumors 65816

How would you put apps into folders on an Apple Watch? You can put put the Apple Watch apps in folders on your iPhone I suppose but that doesn't organize the watch interface.

18. C DM macrumors Westmere

This discussion doesn't appear to be about that at all. If that's what you were referring to, then perhaps that's the case, but this isn't what's being discussed here so what you said was taken in the context of this discussion and not something else.

19. afsnyder macrumors 65816

Ohh, I read Apple Apps as Apple Watch Apps.

20. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Mail app. I use gmail. I don't need apples version.
    Messaging app. I use iMessage, but I could use Hangouts just as easy.

The phone icon is necessary. I'll give you credit for 1 app. So  still has 28 Crapware apps that I am forced to keep on my phone and home screen.

Truth can hurt when it hits close to home for some people. :roll eyes:

21. C DM macrumors Westmere

Not necessarily your home screen and not even all individually taking up space on secondary screens either.

22. sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

Hmm I saw no mention of Phone app, mail app or messages app in the OP but I believe the ones mentioned were:
    "such as Game Center, Videos, Reminders, Newsstand, Podcasts, Tips, Health, and most recently, Apple Watch."

Those are a bit different than the list you mentioned.

23. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I have a folder where I keep my extensions called "Extensions". So I just stick them at the very end of it.

24. apple.snapple macrumors regular

I simply do not understand why Apple is going down this path of crap on your phone that you cannot remove. Can you put it in a folder? Sure, I guess... but with a 16 gb iPhone 6+, I hardly have any room for apps, pics, and videos as is... I'm sure removing apps that I have no interest in would give me a couple videos at least.