Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Arcade Adds Puzzle Adventure Game 'Creaks'

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Arcade today added the game "Creaks" to its list of titles that you can play if you have an Apple Arcade subscription. "Creaks" is described as a puzzle adventure game in which players have to explore an old mansion to find hidden paintings and solve puzzles to uncover the mansion's secrets.

The game comes from the creators of "Machinarium" and "Samorost," and features a hand-painted art style along with an original score from Hidden Orchestra. "Creaks" is available to play on iPhone, iPad, Mac, and Apple TV. It's also designated as a single player experience aimed at players nine years or older.

Apple Arcade launched last year and it lets subscribers gain access to hundreds of iOS games with no in-app purchases or adds for $4.99 per month. Apple worked with developers including Bossa Studios, Cartoon Network, Konami, and LEGO when building Apple Arcade, and new games launch weekly.

Article Link: Apple Arcade Adds Puzzle Adventure Game 'Creaks'

Regbial

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
.... Maybe it's just my opinon... But Apple shouldn't have released Apple Arcarde... Or at least, not in this form. It should've been a premium section of the App Store where "pay once", whole, no-microtransaction games reside.

I know some people don't consider video games art, but I do... I also consider them a serious medium, or a potential (if more people accept it) serious medium for storytelling (I say this as a person who thinks maybe 2-5% of all stories told through games are actually worth experiencing.) Some games can be more artful and dedicate themselves to it through visuals and minor or minimal gameplay, others focus more on fun gameplay, others a mix...

My point is: I don't think anybody wants to "rent" a piece of art. Or rent access to it... People want to own it. (well, as much as one can own digital media but that's another topic) To enjoy it, whenever the mood strikes them..

Selling digital copies of art? That idea has so much potential... Oh but Apple (with their stupidity) and app developers messed it up with their greed, their micro-transactions and "freemium" games... The App store is overflooded with them. So much so, that I think people don't even wantt o bother opening the page on their phones. I think Apple Arcade was Apple's "solution" to this. Just forget and bury all the mess and hope it catches on. :) .... Slap a bandaid on it...

lol... no.

It's fascinating to me how Apple a Trillion dollar company or whatever, is like a toddler stumbling with his feet... But I guess, to a lesser degree, the whole game industry is.. Again, I think all they had to do was open a nice, shiny new section of the App Store with all these games and more in it.

Side note: I hope this subscription model thing ends up being more of a fad in a few years or decades... I never did like it.

Azrael9

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2020
When the ARM Macs come out, Apple needs to start adding AAA computer games.

I think that puzzle games like this will not do it for a majority of computer gamers.

Agree. Just 'buy' Bungie. Triple AAA sorted. Give a £1 billion Triple AAA game fund to key game franchises or up and coming ones. To get that stuff on ARM Macs.

I think the momentum of AS Macs coupled with the millions of apps on iphone and ipad being able to be deployed on said AS Macs will bring the £££. Write once and deploy.

The £££ and increased capability of Mac ARM, iPads over time (selling 40 million units per year...) will bring game developers by osmosis if nothing else.

And new kings will replace the old kings in time.

The old open gl king is dead...long live the new Metal King!

Azrael.

Reactions: simonmet

AngerDanger

macrumors 601
Dec 9, 2008
I don't think anybody wants to "rent" a piece of art.
People are fine with renting far more conventional art: music and cinema. And given how often OS updates obsolete games, you're already renting iOS games even if you only pay once.

I despise software subscriptions, but art subscriptions are nothing new; for the longest time, art was completely ephemeral.

Reactions: UnbreakableAlex

Azrael9

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2020
Some may argue you don't own digital anything. And that's it's all rental in disguise.

Just look at, was it? Bruce Will vs Apple vs iTunes.

Now, my vinyls? I own them.

Apple can stick their rental services for me. Maybe it's a generational thing with younger people are more fine with renting music, art or netflix cinema.

*shrugs. Rather them than me.

That said, I wish Apple success with Arcade. It's good to see them get into games...even if their motives are transparent.

Toddler steps. Quite.

Azrael.

Reactions: Menneisyys2

iDento

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
iCloud Servers
.... Maybe it's just my opinon... But Apple shouldn't have released Apple Arcarde... Or at least, not in this form. It should've been a premium section of the App Store where "pay once", whole, no-microtransaction games reside.

I know some people don't consider video games art, but I do... I also consider them a serious medium, or a potential (if more people accept it) serious medium for storytelling (I say this as a person who thinks maybe 2-5% of all stories told through games are actually worth experiencing.) Some games can be more artful and dedicate themselves to it through visuals and minor or minimal gameplay, others focus more on fun gameplay, others a mix...

My point is: I don't think anybody wants to "rent" a piece of art. Or rent access to it... People want to own it. (well, as much as one can own digital media but that's another topic) To enjoy it, whenever the mood strikes them..

Selling digital copies of art? That idea has so much potential... Oh but Apple (with their stupidity) and app developers messed it up with their greed, their micro-transactions and "freemium" games... The App store is overflooded with them. So much so, that I think people don't even wantt o bother opening the page on their phones. I think Apple Arcade was Apple's "solution" to this. Just forget and bury all the mess and hope it catches on. :) .... Slap a bandaid on it...

lol... no.

It's fascinating to me how Apple a Trillion dollar company or whatever, is like a toddler stumbling with his feet... But I guess, to a lesser degree, the whole game industry is.. Again, I think all they had to do was open a nice, shiny new section of the App Store with all these games and more in it.

Side note: I hope this subscription model thing ends up being more of a fad in a few years or decades... I never did like it.
They can do both. You either subscribe for 4.99$ a month for the whole Arcade library, or you can pay once for an Arcade game and own it.

Azrael9

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2020

Interesting. Dave Gibbons behind the art production on this one?

Augers well for the future. The graphics for iOS games have certainly come a long way since the 1st iPod games.

With a bigger leap to A14x on the next iPad...and the AS14 on the Macs...there will be no shame in the quality of casual games. It's no less laudable a market than triple AAA.

But for triple AAA games, Apple will have to either buy a studio like Bungie who knows how to get the job done or provide greater incentives to the gate keepers of established franchises.

Or talk to someone who knows how to do it. John McCarmack.

Azrael.

Last edited:

zendzero

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2019
I LOVE Amanita Design’s games, the art/music/puzzles, and have been eagerly awaiting this to be released on iOS. However, very bummed this is being released in Apple Arcade, as I have no interest in that. Agree they need to give the pay once option for these things. That said, I guess I’ll just get the AA free trial to play this, and then cancel when done...

Reactions: Mr Todhunter

Azrael9

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2020
I LOVE Amanita Design’s games, the art/music/puzzles, and have been eagerly awaiting this to be released on iOS. However, very bummed this is being released in Apple Arcade, as I have no interest in that. Agree they need to give the pay once option for these things. That said, I guess I’ll just get the AA free trial to play this, and then cancel when done...

Aye.

I'd prefer the 'pay once' option.

Azrael.

Reactions: zendzero

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
I LOVE Amanita Design’s games, the art/music/puzzles, and have been eagerly awaiting this to be released on iOS. However, very bummed this is being released in Apple Arcade, as I have no interest in that.
If you have a Mac, you can buy it on GOG...not released there at the time of posting, but I expect it will be soon. That goes for all games, by the way, for those who want to buy and not rent: use GOG, not Steam. Unfortunately certain Mac porting companies won't cooperate and for them it's Steam or nothing, but most Mac games of any note end up on GOG.

crawfish963

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Texas

I agree 100% with this and just this month cancelled my Arcade subscription. I haven’t found a single title other than Oceanhorn 2 that I really liked. I feel like equal indie games are available for free or very little on the app store as is and nothing exists on Arcade to compel me to stay.

Reactions: Menneisyys2

TVreporter

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2012
Near Toronto
I'm curious about Arcade but was waiting for the new Apple TV before subscribing.

Have they dropped any games since it launched? How many titles are currently available?

Last edited:

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
I love Amanita Design too, but Steam says it's coming out in July, so I'd prefer to buy it there, or (as @Eric5h5 mentioned) on GOG. Better yet, sometimes you can get a DRM-free version and Steam key in the one purchase through Humble Bundle.

The problem with Arcade is, it seems to be full of mostly mobile-type games or games that work well on most Macs, including older Macs or those with integrated graphics. It doesn't have any blockbuster titles; and though there are a few decent indie games, they’re mostly mediocre, uninteresting (to me), or "same same" games that tend to look very similar because of their low texture details and requirements.

Amanita at least is one of those studios that tends to have highly crafted games that are unique, so I’ll definitely check it out somewhere.

Last edited:

LN3000

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2019
It is weird seeing so many people criticize Apple Arcade. Amanita Design games are always top quality, and the games are worth $10-$15 easily. So being able to play it for free with Apple Arcade is 100% worth it.
And the fact that Apple Arcade also consistently pumps out new top-quality games, there are always interesting new games to experience.
For $5 a month, it is a steal, and saves me so much money from having to buy these games that I would normally want to buy anyway.

peglegjack

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Played it for about 20 minutes, absolutely amazing work! And it works perfectly on my 2016 12" MacBook! And it has a pretty sick soundtrack, which made me think of how awesome the Machinarium soundtrack was.

And c'mon guys, is it not getting a little tiring to use every AA release as an excuse to crap all over it? This is a big part of the reason why I hardly post on MacRumors anymore. It's basically the Fox News of Mac sites at this point. Just miserable humans taking out their sad lives on others.

Azrael9

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2020
It is weird seeing so many people criticize Apple Arcade. Amanita Design games are always top quality, and the games are worth $10-$15 easily. So being able to play it for free with Apple Arcade is 100% worth it.
And the fact that Apple Arcade also consistently pumps out new top-quality games, there are always interesting new games to experience.
For $5 a month, it is a steal, and saves me so much money from having to buy these games that I would normally want to buy anyway.

I'm not fond of rentware.

But it's good to see Apple getting into games.

It's early days for this service.

The games look decent to me. From a 'mainstream' gaming point of view. They're casual games. Aimed at that sort of Nintendo or casual gaming market segment. Which is huge. As the gaming market on iPhone/iPad app store has proven.

As the 'A' chip improves so will the reach and ambition of the games.

Getting phone/pad and ATV all on the A14 chip would be a good place to start jacking up the potential.

But a baseline of the A12 for everything is respectable.

As for those triple AAA. Maybe when Mac goes AS we'll start to see the pull of iPad/AS Mac (40 million units in sales per year between them...) lure devs over. £££.

Azrael.

g.a.papavasileiou

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2017
Apple Arcade needs that one (at least) killer game that will make a buzz on social media. It needs the "game of thrones" of games. This, i guess, will give the push to other developers to invest on Apple Arcade and now with the ARM transition, in my opinion is the best timing.

Doesn't need to be a AAA game like Cyberpunk and GTA, it could be something like Shovel Knight, Cuphead or Bastion.

And one more thing...
It needs to be exclusive to Apple Arcade.

Reactions: TVreporter

Azrael9

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2020
Apple Arcade needs that one (at least) killer game that will make a buzz on social media. It needs the "game of thrones" of games. This, i guess, will give the push to other developers to invest on Apple Arcade and now with the ARM transition, in my opinion is the best timing.

Doesn't need to be a AAA game like Cyberpunk and GTA, it could be something like Shovel Knight, Cuphead or Bastion.

And one more thing...
It needs to be exclusive to Apple Arcade.

Agree.

Agree.

Agree.

It's just a matter of time. It will come. Apple can wait. Arcade improves all the time. So does the hardware. If they play the long game. It will come.

Eg. They could buy out Nintendo and their IP. Big move. But it would seal the deal as the iPad budget model would be the 'go to' casual gaming 'console.'

As it is. They're offering an incentive for innovative thinking. Sure, the games look off beat with different graphical styles and innovations of play, story etc. and not like your standard triple A. But that's kind of the point. Offering something different. That may not be what the Call of Duty crowd are after though.

Azrael.
[automerge]1594480474[/automerge]
What is Apple Arcade? $60 for the year?

So. If you paid that as a single Call of Duty purchase...vs all teh games you can play on A.Arcade.? It's a deal.

Sure. Some of the games may not be to all people's taste. But if you get to enjoy a handful and sample the rest. It's hardly a rip off. It's decent value in relative terms.

Azrael.
[automerge]1594480585[/automerge]
I think Beyond a Steel Sky is a promising taste of future Apple Arcade potential.

Games with stories. I can dig that. Dave Gibbon of Watchmen fame...had a hand in that. Production wise for the art?

Azrael.

Last edited:
Reactions: g.a.papavasileiou

PavelGubarev

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2015
Somehow both Amanita's games on AppleArcade are just not same old weird Amanita. Much less fun...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.