Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Browse Apple's US website today and you may be surprised to see your favorite video game character drop in and make an unexpected appearance.

apple-arcade.jpg

Characters including the likes of Sonic, Frogger, and little LEGO people have invaded Apple's homepage to promote Apple Arcade, the company's subscription gaming service.

Launched in September 2019, Apple Arcade is a premium subscription service that allows App Store users to pay one monthly fee to gain access to over 100 games that that have no in-app purchases or additional costs.

All Arcade games work on the iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, and Macs, which is likely one of the reasons why Apple's playful promotion has seen game characters take over every product section on its homepage.

Apple teamed up with both indie developers and big-name gaming companies to create "new and exclusive" games for the Apple Arcade service. All the content that is released through Apple Arcade is freshly created for Apple Arcade, so it doesn't include existing games.

Apple Arcade? is priced at $4.99 per month or $49.99 per year, and one subscription allows up to six family members to play through Family Sharing. For those who have not yet given ?Apple Arcade? a try, there is a one-month free trial available.

In his latest earnings call, CEO Tim Cook said Apple Arcade had got off to a "strong start," but he didn't reveal subscription figures. Apple has also recently increased visibility of Apple Arcade in its retail stores, introducing colorful promotional displays and highlighting compatible gaming accessories.

(Thanks, Francis!)

Article Link: Apple Arcade Game Characters Let Loose on Apple's Website in Playful Promotion

Scottsoapbox

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2014
I really like a few of the games offered. Unsure how much longer I will continue to pay if there aren't new ones that grab my fancy.

Thus far, gameclub's subscription has more that I like but it's close enough that I am keeping both. For now.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
The Apple Arcade adverts seem to be invading my iPhone lately. Nasty big pop ups in the middle of the display.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
Cute. I’m not sure your average consumer would understand unless there is a Super Bowl ad tied to this.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Better chip hardware that let us play Arcade games buttery smooth. Maybe HDMI 2.1 for 120 fps support too. Heck, why not a better remote as well? :D
I’ll take a new remote (though I usually just use my URC remotes), but I definitely do not want 120fps :)

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2012
I’ll take a new remote (though I usually just use my URC remotes), but I definitely do not want 120fps :)
Most of the TVs can display more than 100 Hz anyway - why would you not want smoother playback? Think sort of ProMotion in the newest iPad Pros.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Most of the TVs can display more than 100 Hz anyway - why would you not want smoother playback? Think sort of ProMotion in the newest iPad Pros.
Because I don’t play games on my Apple TV. I watch movies. And I dont want ridiculous soap opera effects.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.