Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

VentureBeat claims that Apple specifically asked Google not to use Multi-Touch in their Android platform and Google agreed. The report comes an unidentified member of the Android team:
Apple, which of course makes the signature multi-touch mobile device, the iPhone, apparently asked Google not to implement it, and Google agreed, an Android team member tells us.
According to the report, Google wanted to avoid risking its relationship with Apple. The same source claims that Apple's relationships with Palm have significantly soured surrounding the recent public statements that Apple would aggressively protect the iPhone's intellectual property. Palm's new Pre Phone is the first mobile phone to offer multi-touch gestures similar to Apple's iPhone.

Article Link: Apple Asked Google Not to Use Multi-Touch in Android?

matthewlesh

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2007
Wow.. just wow. I'd be amazed to think that Google would bow down to Apple.

That said i guess the relationship means more then the product?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
There must be so much more to this.

Super big company 1: hey don't do that, please.
Super big company 2: lol k

Super big company 1: hey don't do that, please.
Super big company 2: lol k

Is actually a pretty simple way of putting it, You could just imagine steve jobs on the phone with google CEO saying 'Sup man, wanna drop the multi touchz0rs pl0x?' - Google CEO 'Sure thing steve, i'll get my cat- i mean guys onto it ASAP.' ...'and there's just one last thing.'

bob_the_gorilla

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2004
Derby, UK
I cannot see how people (us customers) could benefit from such an agreement.

Yeah, that's why companies do stuff. To help consumers! It's not at all to make money, right?

I do find it rather hard to believe that Apple would simply "ask" Google not to use multitouch; even harder that Google would simply say okay. Apple would have to have something over Google, or offer them something. That or, just maybe, this report from an anonymous source is complete BS.

rjflyn

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2007
Or the old cost vs payout, risk vs reward games. They could have used multi-touch but it would have cost them maybe a patent lawsuit. The also may already be getting $$ from Apple for the iPhone which we have seen is selling like no tomorrow. So that could be another potential financial loss. With the economy and Google's $$ coming mostly from ads, any money in is something one might not want to give up. Still sucks though.

Cybbe

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2004
This shows how Apple and the ridiculous intellectual property rights system is stiffling competition and hurting consumers.

alexbates

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2008
Georgia, USA
I am surprised this would happen. I would think that they would forget their relationship And focus on their products and competition.

rhpenguin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2003
London, Ontario
This is bad, bad, bad, bad, bad. If this is the case, Apple is going to stifle innovation on this front for years.

Apple is the new Microsoft. But a whole lot worse.

Shasterball

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
There must be more than meets the eye here. Otherwise, wouldn't this raise some serious anti-trust issues? (not that I really know).

alexbates

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2008
Georgia, USA
As much as I hate it, I'm going to have to agree with you. Apple used to be about the people, but now its about ze muneez.

No, I think that Apple is still about the people and making the best products that they possibly can. Otherwise, their support would be aweful.

Tampa Tom

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2007
You HAVE to protect your IP

If a company has intellectual property (in this case a granted patent on the iPhone) they must protect it. A company just can't say, "Aww shucks I guess you maybe can copy us." If they do, they LOSE their rights to protect it in court. They can licence the technology, but can't knowingly allow a company to copy it.

Apple has spent millions on the development of a new and novel device and interface. It is their obligation to the shareholders of the company :apple:(me and lots of others) to protect the investment.

Apple, sue the pants off of any company that infringes on the patents and claims !

matthewlesh

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2007
We do have to consider one possibility.. This source is full of **** and google is just to lazy or still working on it or something.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
It strikes me that "asking" may have been along the lines of a slightly more friendly version of "we've patented this, so don't try it or we'll sue the pants off you."

Which would also make sense as to why Google listened.

Phazer

coolfactor

macrumors 603
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
There must be more than meets the eye here. Otherwise, wouldn't this raise some serious anti-trust issues? (not that I really know).

No. If Google willingly agreed, then there's no problem. Anti-trust comes in when one company forces the competition into a corner.

I agree there must be more to this, but Google loves the iPhone and how much revenue it's generating for them, I'm sure. Why compete with that?

And there's yet another possibility. Google didn't implement multi-touch natively in Android, but hardware manufacturers using the OS would be free to try to implement it, no? That keeps Google on the good side of Apple, and then Apple would have other fish to fry.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
This is bad, bad, bad, bad, bad. If this is the case, Apple is going to stifle innovation on this front for years.

Apple is the new Microsoft. But a whole lot worse.

Worse than Microsoft? That would be buying out companies so they don't need to innovate, that would be not releasing a new OS or web browser for 6 years so the entire industry gets dragged behind. That would be putting proprietary non standard features into their products so that stuff does not work on other platforms. Not only that but Apple does not hold a monopoly in the phone market as Microsoft do in the PC market.

Apple does do a good job protecting the consumer. iTunes Music store for one example.

Protecting your Intellectual Property is not halting innovation. It means companies have to create something better. Look at all the other multi touch phones out there, they are a half assed rip off of the iPhones multi touch.

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
Patents

Now that Apple's patents are approved for this, I bet we see a bunch of people sued or striking licensing deals.

As for the pc's and laptop/netbooks already using it, if they fall under Apple's patents, they probably will be able to license it as I don't see it being a big competitive advantage. I'd bet that other handheld devices will be out of luck since multitouch is such a BIG differentiator of the iPhone.

There are plenty of other ways to compete with the iPhone; Google knew this and decided to compete on openness, a real keyboard and higher performance with the G1, BlackBerry decided to try the "click screen" thing, my wife opted against a iPhone because of it's size, etc... Apple does not "own" this market by any stretch.

I bet Palm either didn't do the due diligence or thinks they can defend themselves in court against Apple's patents. Maybe they'll try to prove prior art existed like Hann's demo at TED2006: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcKqyn-gUbY (Although I'm pretty sure Apple's implementation is totally different) Who knows.

coolfactor

macrumors 603
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
No, I think that Apple is still about the people and making the best products that they possibly can. Otherwise, their support would be aweful.

Agreed. While Apple has made a major push to build revenue on numerous fronts, that has only allowed them to do what they do best... create a great user experience. Steve, himself, stands up there on stage and communicates that for us all to hear. They don't have some hidden, sly agenda. It takes money to do what they do. While it's easy to focus on just the money-making goal alone, one must take it in context. Apple has not wavered from a commitment to quality. If anything, their insane revenues enable them to pursue it even more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.