Apple Asks Developers to Start Optimizing Apps for HomePod Using SiriKit in iOS 11.2

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 30, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

iOS 11.2 beta, released this morning, introduces SiriKit support for the HomePod, according to Apple. With SiriKit for HomePod now available, Apple is asking developers to make sure SiriKit-compatible apps are optimized for HomePod ahead of the device's release.

SiriKit is designed to allow iOS and watchOS apps to work with Siri, so users can complete tasks with Siri voice commands. SiriKit is available for a wide range of apps on those two platforms, but its availability is slightly more limited when it comes to HomePod.

[​IMG]

Third-party apps that use SiriKit Messaging, Lists, and Notes are compatible with the HomePod. Siri will recognize voice requests given to the HomePod, with those requests carried out on a linked iOS device. So, for example, users can ask HomePod to send a message to a friend, add an item to a list, or create a new note. Sample HomePod requests:

- Send a text to Eric using WhatsApp
    - In WeChat, tell Eric I'll be late
    - Add chocolate and bananas to my list in Things
    - Create a note that says "hello" in Evernote

Developers can test the voice-only experience of their apps using Siri through headphones connected to an iOS device with the iOS 11.2 beta.

Apple plans to release the HomePod this December, but a specific launch date for the speaker has not yet been provided. When it becomes available, the HomePod will cost $349.

Article Link: Apple Asks Developers to Start Optimizing Apps for HomePod Using SiriKit in iOS 11.2

2. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

Hope more will get onboard here. Though the limits are still not great, it would be nice to be able to control more apps using Siri.

3. GadgetBen macrumors 6502a

GadgetBen

The limitations are why I’ve opted for the new Amazon Echo 2.

Should be delivered this Friday along with my iPhone X :D

4. KoolAid-Drink macrumors 65816

Hmmm, shouldn't it read as beta or something like that? It can easily mislead people into thinking the actual public release version of 11.2 was released.

5. Crzyrio macrumors 65816

Would be nice if it automatically used nearby phones based on your voice :D

6. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

So HomePod doesn’t work unless iOS device is nearby?

7. ChrisLTD macrumors member

ChrisLTD

It wont work with apps unless an iOS device is nearby. Music playback and general Siri inquiries should work.

8. Kognito macrumors regular

Kognito

How does this work for multiple users? Or will everyone in the house need their own HomePod to enjoy the app-centric functionality?

9. nutmac macrumors 68040

It's really dumb that like Apple Watch, HomePod cannot be used independently from iPhone. It should be similar to Apple TV in that it can be purchased and used without having to own an iPhone.

10. fairuz macrumors 68000

fairuz

Yeah... They'll probably fix that in due time. IDK if I'd buy it then, but I know I won't buy the current one.

11. dampfnudel macrumors 68030

12. Dave245 macrumors 603

Dave245

I wonder what will happen if you have multiple HomePods, one in the bedroom and one on the kitchen for example :confused:

13. dfs macrumors 6502

--- Post Merged, Oct 30, 2017 ---
    It would be nice of Apple to take its own advice and apply it to Face Time Audio? Why exactly the hell aren't they doing that??

14. penguintheft macrumors newbie

penguintheft

iOS 11.2 was only released as a beta today, not a full release to everyone.

15. hagar macrumors 6502a

I assume Apple will suggest to buy separate houses. Each with their own Homepod and Apple TV.

16. ctdonath macrumors 65816

ctdonath

Doesn't it inherently work with AppleTV? I'd expect to buy a couple and set 'em next to the display*, presumably getting better sound than what's inherently in my current HDTV.

(* - I'm having increasing difficulty finding a suitable name for that thing. "TV" it isn't, as that implies a video-over-radio receiver receiving pre-programmed channels. "Monitor" seems awkward, given the history as part of a dedicated computer interface - which this is, but not the way most people intend. "Display" should be a verb, not so much a noun. "Screen" just doesn't seem right either. Gah...)

17. rtdunham macrumors 6502a

rtdunham

Might want to correct this error in the lede of the story.

18. MentalFloss macrumors 65816

MentalFloss

I don‘t quite get what is the advantage over what I am currently doing, i.e. calling „Hey Siri“ to the iPad on the table in front of me. So now I would have a $349 speaker that connects to the aforementioned iPad or my iPhone and does exactly the same? Sure, great, it can play music, but I already have a wireless speaker that I am very happy with and that cost significantly less than $349.

19. btrach144 macrumors 65816

btrach144

I have a hard time still trying to accept the $350 price tag.

20. Internet Enzyme macrumors 6502a

Internet Enzyme

Apple shouod really release a echo dot style siri device. I don’t want your crap built in speakers thank you very much

21. TimWillz macrumors regular

TimWillz

Can’t wait for the HomePod, especially excited to hear the sound quality.

22. sinsin07, Oct 30, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2017

sinsin07 macrumors 68040

Seems like you already figured out your own answer.
    This setup is not for you.
    Just because Apple makes it doesn't mean you need or have to buy it.

23. Vanilla35 macrumors 68040

Vanilla35

Yeah wtf? I thought this thing is connected to the internet. Why can't it just utilize some sort of Homepod app extensions, which allow it to do the limited number of things it can do, specifically from those extensions. For example, adding, editing, or removing a note from Evernote. Why does it need the phone nearby?

24. wesley96 macrumors 6502

wesley96

This implies that iOS 11.2 will be coming in December, to coincide with HomePod rollout.

25. Mtmspa macrumors 6502a

Not gonna crap speakers. Nice troll attempt.