Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
The most significant visible improvement in Mavericks is that Safari is much smoother in scrolling. My rMBP had suffered from choppy Safari performance and occasional hanging since I bought it last year, and now I finally find the machine to be quite fast and usable. Other improvement is probably under the hood.

I noticed that too. Glad Apple is focusing on performance again.

GaryMumford

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2008
UK
Developers and Apple should be making sure their code gracefully falls back so that applications, and OSs can be used on older hardware and OSs. Legacy support is important.

I totally agree.

I really can't understand why a big player on the Mac platform like Quark Xpress are NOT going to support Quark 9 on Mavericks! They will only support Quark 10 (which is very new and VERY buggy). Quark 9 runs fine on OSX 10.8 but crashes on 10.9 GM. People who use Quark Xpress and are not going to update to Quark 10 for whatever reason will have to stay on OSX 10.8. Or switch to Adobe InDesign. This is a fine example of the developers (at Quark) being narrow minded, short sighted idiots.

sorry, rant over!

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Why would anyone copy 10% of the desktop market?

And last I checked, iOS has copied Android on things such as...fingerprint censors (They bought a company outright and took the idea from Motorolla who dropped it because it was deemed not worth it), notifications that work.

One can argue given how slow Apple was to adopt it that they stole copy and pasting from other OSes.

Just because Samsung plays dirty doesn't mean Apple hasn't ever stolen anything, ever. A grid lined up like that? I don't need to see the graph of all smartphones before iPhone. I've seen Palm OS phones. iPhone ripped them off in the same way Samsung ripped off the iPhone.

Again, I like my Apple products, but you anti-Samsung trolls need to calm down. If you hate Samsung, boycott Apple, as they use Samsung products in all their products to make them...work.

Tell me frankly, with a straight face and no lie. Where would Android be without iOS? Your revisionism troll is quite pathetic.
Do you deny that Samsung is not a copycat company? Are you a proud owner of Samsung Gear btw, a product that they just slightly copied from iPod Nano? Too bad they don't have Apple's iWatch to copy for you, eh?

Last edited:

panther quest

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2013
Canada
How can you say his OS flopped when it's free to use vs being sold? Your logic escapes me. Btw more people use Linux then Mac OS.

Hi, long time reader first time poster.

Do you have a source on the statement that more people use Linux than OS X? Or did you mean more people use Linux based operating systems than OS X, like Android.

Just wondering.

Last edited:

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
So this blog on the 22nd wlll be

Mavricks released today, available from appstore now

follow by

Appstore down, unable to cope with demand.

then over the following week

Mavericks update causing battery issues on older macbooks
Mavericks update causing drive corruption and requires a clean install on "insert mac type here"
Mavericks Update breaks "insert software here"

the name of the OS may change, but the issues updates cause never do :rolleyes:

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Developers and Apple should be making sure their code gracefully falls back so that applications, and OSs can be used on older hardware and OSs. Legacy support is important.

This. But we all know that isn't the case with Apple. Its either buy the new thing or be left behind.

RedRaven571

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2009
Pennsylvania
Mavericks GM is riddled with bugs. I hope they get them ironed out soon.

I received the GM via update and it runs much worse on my machine than any of the earlier DPs. And, by worse, I mean slower wake from sleep, difficulty reconnecting to my wifi from sleep, slower for icons to build in folders when you click on them after restart/wake, initial app start up is more sluggish.

I'm hoping a clean install when released will take care of these, because, otherwise, I was loving Mavericks.

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
Tell me frankly, with a straight face and no lie. Where would Android be without iOS? Your revisionism troll is quite pathetic.
Do you deny that Samsung is not a copycat company? Are you a proud owner of Samsung Gear btw, a product that they just slightly copied from iPod Nano? Too bad they don't have Apple's iWatch to copy for you, eh?

Where would Apple be without Android? We have the same iPhone 4 design...

Oh, I guess with blue popups in your face everytime there is a text message.

Where would Apple be without Palm OS? Oh, we know this: Newton.

Where would Apple be without WebOS? iOS 3?

Etc.

I'm not denying Samsung nor Apple copies. I'm sick of the overreaction to Apple fans, as if Apple hasn't copied anything...what was that Steve Jobs quoted quote? Great artists steal?

QUOTE=gorskiegangsta;18150063]Oh, I don't know. Maybe because that portion of the market accounts for much higher profit margins and destroys competition in customer satisfaction department.

Your logic escapes me on this one. Firstly, Android didn't invent computer fingerprint sensors. They were on PCs a decade before Android's conception (when it was still in blackberry clone form). Secondly, how is buying a relevant company and their technology/IP/expertise copying Android, did the company belong to Android corporation? :rolleyes:
If apple wanted to copy Android fingerprint scanners, all they'd have to do is make a lackluster, frustrating, essentially nonfunctional one, instead of an easy to use, convenient, functional one.
[/QUOTE]

The logic is others used it first in a smartphone. And Apple bought a company to make this idea work. I fail to see the innovation of having more money than others...but that's another story.

At least Motorolla tried.

Moving on...

One can also argue that since Xerox PARC interface was the one that popularized cut/copy/paste in PCs (which were subsequently adopted by Apple and Microsoft) by the time smartphones (the iPhone/Android wave) came along, the feature was fairly obvious. Unlike things like notification center.

Isn't notification center a rip off intelliscreen?

Apple "steals" things in a much different way than Samsung does. A "stolen" noncompetitive design inspiration across industries (eg. Braun toasters and microwaves) is much different from Samsung competitively emulating Apple devices by making Android look less like Android and more like iOS and replacing default Android apps with pseudo-iOSified ones, or closely following Apple's company strategy by releasing things like sCloud right after iCloud, sVoice right after Siri, golden GS4 right after gold iPhone 5S, etc..

No one hates Samsung for making great components. Their display, NAND, and SoC manufacturing, validation, and binning processes are second to none. That is their strength. Software, UI design, and majority of their industrial designs (with some notable exceptions [1] [2] [3]) are not their strengths.[/QUOTE]

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
I received the GM via update and it runs much worse on my machine than any of the earlier DPs. And, by worse, I mean slower wake from sleep, difficulty reconnecting to my wifi from sleep, slower for icons to build in folders when you click on them after restart/wake, initial app start up is more sluggish.

I'm hoping a clean install when released will take care of these, because, otherwise, I was loving Mavericks.

That's gotta be about the install. I don't have any of those issues. But still, Mavericks GM is Apple's most bug-ridden GM I've ever seen. They need a 10.9.1 immediately. Finder is the one app full of bugs. I have windows scrolling where there's no content, quicklook working really slow, and bunch of other things.

TrashCanBin

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2013
That's gotta be about the install. I don't have any of those issues. But still, Mavericks GM is Apple's most bug-ridden GM I've ever seen. They need a 10.9.1 immediately. Finder is the one app full of bugs. I have windows scrolling where there's no content, quicklook working really slow, and bunch of other things.

I get beachballs everytime i use Spotlight. Beachball for 2-3 seconds then it opens the file. Very annoying.

DudeDad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2009

Oh, I guess with blue popups in your face everytime there is a text message.

Where would Apple be without Palm OS? Oh, we know this: Newton.

Where would Apple be without WebOS? iOS 3?

Etc.

You wrongfully conclude that Apple was not able to innovate beyond its own innovations.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
This. But we all know that isn't the case with Apple. Its either buy the new thing or be left behind.

i would go so far as to say that apple actively puts in place "forced obsolescence" so you can get away with last years tech today, but not the year before that.

As far as apple are concerned your $2000+ laptop or desktop is a disposable item with at best a 3 year life span (and then only if you bought apple care, otherwise please shell out after 1year)

IMO apples products are beginning to show this "throwaway" mentality, sealed, none upgradeable, none serviceable system with glued in batteries and surface mounted RAM and proprietary HDDs.

Apple KNOW they cant get to the situation the PC market is in now, where you can own a PC for a DECADE or more and only need to add a bit of extra RAM and a bigger HDD (Or replace one that fails) for a few $$ rather than buy a new one.. if apples tech lasted longer than 1-3 years, they wouldn't be anywhere near as valuable a company as they are today.

----------

iOS7s final beta did the same thing on my iPhone 5, it ran fantastically, but the release version is slow and makes my phone feel "sluggish" for what doesnt appear to be any reason other than to make the phone "appear" slow next to a 5S and even a same hardware inside 5c.

part of me wants to put on my Tinfoil hat and say apple are doing this on purpose to devalue the old devices and make the new ones seem better than they are...

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010

You lost your credibility right there, at the first sentence. Enjoys your Samsung Gear, I say, and pray every night that Apple will have iWatch for them to copy soon. LOL.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
I hope the gains in usability from Mav's are as great as those in iOS7!

So...elminiation of most contrast, all affordances (that tell you, e.g., that a button is actually a button), and inconsistent but excessive use of gradients? No, thanks. I hope OS X stays the way it is.

ed724

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2009
I hope something gets updated because Mavericks is noticeably slower than ML. I'm using a MBP 8,1, 2.4ghz Core i7, 16gb ram, 750gb 7200rpm HD. Seems that there is a lot more disk access, especially on boot, more so than on ML, and the updating of ICONS is really slow. You need a SSD for this one folks. I think I'm may retro to ML for now. I will add however that I did an upgrade versus a clean install. I might try that first and see how it goes.

----------

I get beachballs everytime i use Spotlight. Beachball for 2-3 seconds then it opens the file. Very annoying.

Agreed, very sloowwww, very annoying.

Aug 5, 2013
Open a file in TextEdit and go to the File menu. Once you're there, hold down the option key.

You dont need to do that as you still get the drop down list of save options when you just 'save'. Unless I'm missing something?

EDIT: Thats only for a brand new document. My bad hehe.

AppleFan1984

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2010
The "merged" OS, Edge, was cancelled due to lack of support.
Edge was a phone; Ubuntu is an OS, still very much in use by millions.

----------

Apple converging their platforms as a result of Ubuntu's failure would be as ridiculous as...
Agreed, that would be a silly reason for convergence.

But perhaps there might be other reasons for Apple to consider it?

After all, device types and use cases only continue to diversify and overlap. Making a separate OS for each of them is ultimately impractical.

A single Apple OS which can gracefully scale and adapt to every device type the company offers seems a more productive solution in the long haul.

I'll go out on a limb here to suggest we'll see Apple announce this within three years.

Manderby

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2006
My applications are already working on Mavericks. As App Nap essentially being the only thing which I can forward to the user, there was not much to do. But the reason why I wrote this post is something that I would like to point out:

No one seems to be interested that developers finally get their apps iCloud-Ready anymore.

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
You lost your credibility right there, at the first sentence. Enjoys your Samsung Gear, I say, and pray every night that Apple will have iWatch for them to copy soon. LOL.

I don't need credibility in your eyes. If you think I'm credible that means I:

Must hate Samsung for no reason (for the record, I haven't bought any Samsung products, have an iphone 4s and iphone 5, two macbook airs, though I do recommend all products)
Care if something looks similar to something else because...I care about the profits of companies that don't hire Americans (Thanks, Apple, for bringing jobs back! Seriously. I approve).
Believe Apple has never copied anything, ever, and that no one had a rectangular grid before Apple.

Apple took existing technologies and combined them and did it well. They innovated and still have a tremendous amount of marketshare as a result. They weren't willing to compromise on anything and lost a chunk, and took a bunch of ideas from the jailbreak and android communities, and did incorporate some new stuff unique to them. Android might have fragmentation, but it also has options. Want a 3" screen? Got ya covered. 6"? Fine. NFC? Great. Don't want a proprietary connector? OK...root access? Sometimes, depending on carrier demands and deals...

Apple...you could have an iphone in any size you want, so long as it is 4 inches. It is an easy to use, stress free product. I've played around with touchID and it works (I would hardly call it innovative due to the fact Apple didn't develop it, they just bought it...). Apple software is really efficient. If Apple would release a phone with twice the battery, it would be a beast. Which might require a larger screen. They definitely do some things well.

But completely original? Hardly. They take risks, but I can't think off the iPhone that is inventive in itself. It took a bunch of existing technologies and combined them very effectively for its time.

I think the Samsung Gear is highly innovative, and I really like that it came out. Yes, it might be inadequate in oh so many ways. But they had to release it to defer suggestions of plagurism-Samsung is getting sued, so they're now just rushing prototypes to market to prevent people like you of accusing them of theft-and in many ways it is more of the same. But would you be accusing Apple of theft when they release a TV? SmartTVs already exist and are getting quite nice.

And I've bought more than my share of Apple products that were duds. Ever have one of the first Core 2 Duos? I bought a blackbook. The thing burnt out so many powercords, cracked for no reason...it just was a terrible product at the time in so many ways. And what innovation? They threw in a new computer chip designed by Intel, and it overheated anyway. That's the current state of laptops across all manufacturers, from Apple, to Samsung. Apple might've gotten the ultrabook to market first, but they didn't start the smaller and smaller trend that had been going on for years.

Apple will continue to make good and bad products. They will put new stuff to market that is very novel, like the iPhone and iPad were, and they will bring stuff to market that no one really thinks is innovative aside from a handful of people (iPhone 4s v. iPhone 4). They'll ignore specs when it doesn't suit them (Who cares how much RAM? It is the experience, even if the device won't work right after 3 years...which, again, is a lot better than an android device) but then brag about 64 bit processing like it makes a difference (it really doesn't til you hit 3 gigs of RAM. A faster chip is a faster chip, and if it was 32 bit, it'd be the same speed faster than A6). So there's a ton of hypocrisy here.

What's so hard to understand about that? I honestly don't care which company shuts up and takes my money. Unless you're a shareholder (And I hope you're not as enough shareholders so irrational would bankrupt a company) why do you feel the need to HURT the competition, which you delegitimatize anyway? Why do you care so damned much? It is people like this who make me embarrassed to use my Apple products around people I know who like Android, as they normally don't give a damn and would treat Apple like Nokia if the insane fans (not the normal fans)...acted, well, like normal people.

hindmost

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2009

Now, when I open my Parallels I get a dark warning that I must BuY Parallels 9 as anything earlier will NOT work with Mavericks.

I absolutely loathe those money grubbing Rooskies who make Parallels but I'm pretty much trapped if I want to continue using Windows 7 on my Mac without going to Boot Camp (a real pain requiring separate boots between Mac and Windows OS).

stars_fan

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2008
Nut house
Hi, long time reader first time poster.

Do you have a source on the statement that more people use Linux than OS X? Or did you mean more people use Linux based operating systems than OS X like, Android.

Just wondering.

Of course he can't back that up. Linux as a desktop OS isn't a hit

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.