Apple, AT&T and the special treatment.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by spooky2k, Aug 29, 2008.

1. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

Hey there all,
    Upon seeing the story at the top of the page of macrumors.com, I had to say something.

There have been at least a few times that Apple have been 'discussing things with ATT', but when do you ever hear about this elsewhere?

I understand that Apple and ATT are both American companies, but how come Apple concentrates first and foremost on the American market when their products are worldwide?

I have no evidence of Apple NOT talking to the others countries' networks, but alas, you do not hear anything about them or anything about any problems they are having (and yes, I'm aware you only ever hear about the bad things, but if that were the case here, then no other countries' networks/iphones would be having problems).

With regard to 'special treatment' - Apple's services (Genius bar replacements/repairs etc, Apple online replacements/repairs etc) seem better in American as well.

Anyone else ever feel they noticed something like this?
    Dan x

2. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I feel that the main reason why Apple is USA oriented is the fact that they are an American company, they were founded in the USA, and they currently have their headquarters in the US. And sites like MacRumors are also American sites (although MacRumors does have a large amount of international visitors), and were founded by Americans. So that is why you may find that a large amount of news here is based on American findings, but there are still a fair share of international news here.

It is plain and simply the fact that Apple is an American company, and thus a lot of news about it that is country-specific will be focused on the US.

3. spooky2k thread starter macrumors 6502a

YOu know, I agree with you about the American company thing. But even elsewhere there isn't any word from Apple discussing problems with any other networks (maybe I'm not looking in the right places). 'We're an American company' is an expected excuse to what I think is a big problem. No matter where a company does business they should provide the same level of support and the same experience. This is the whole reason McDonalds is hugely successful worldwide. It's the same the world over. Every single store is the same. Same spotty teenagers working their first jobs, same menu (mainly anyway), same customer experience. If Apple could make every store like a USA stoer, I wouldn't get nervous before going to the genius bar (they tell people off!).

Apple has yet to grasp this idea.

4. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

You do have a good point, with this most recent story, it was an email that was in response to somebody asking about tethering with AT&T. There is also no confirmation that this story were actually true, and there is not a lot to be heard of on it as it was such a short response. But I understand where you are coming from.

And with your other concerns with Genius Bars and Apple Stores; Apple is still a very young company with their retail stores, and I understand how you feel that there are not all that many options outside of the US for in-store service and replacement, but that is most likely centered around the fact that Apple has not focused its retail store expansion outside of the US yet. With more stores slowly popping up outside of the US, I think that we will start to see a growing support internationally by Apple, but even so, Apple is still young with their stores, and they would not have been making a smart choice internationally debuting their retail stores from the beginning.

But I do not understand how online/over-the-phone replacements are all that much easier for people in the US than in other countries, would you mind explaining that further?

5. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

I expect nothing different from Apple.
    Any company is going to focus on their home/biggest market first.

Nintendo and Sony did the same with video games for a long time. New games and system were released in Japan before anywhere else. They get games that are released anywhere else. They have special fan clubs in Japan that get specials games no else gets.

I think many of the issues with other carriers is because Apple just doesn't have a good relationship with them like it does with ATT.

6. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

because its a usa based company, they obviously want to test it out HERE FIRST and then get it out world wide if it is indeed successful. Its just like Nokia and other asian/european companies don't bring the phones here right away...we have to wait until they have the unlocked USA versions available to buy.

7. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

It does seem a little bias, but by doing things with at&t first, they get to basically use the United States as a test market for beta software/hardware before being launched world-wide. It also, IMHO, appears as though Yanks are much more inclined to bitch, moan, and complain about the smallest things, not to mention make a big deal about small things, that Apple needs to focus on them first.

It also doesn't help either that other countries has specific restriction placed on foreign companies that make it difficult for them to provide the same level of service that they can provide in their home country. This is true in Canada, the UK, the EU, and others, and the US does the same thing for companies from other countries.

TEG

8. And5555 macrumors member

Hate to point out the obvious here, but why do you think that the tethering application was pulled from the App Store?

AT&T complained because it was in violation of its terms of use.

The reason why other countries would not care as much... most other countries don't have unlimited data; they charge by the kb. For instance, Rogers in Canada charges based on the amount of data you use. That means that if you want to tether to a laptop and accidentally download a LOT more, they would have no problem with it; they are getting paid a lot more. Apple does not need to ask these carriers to accommodate the technology because they are more than willing. AT&T, however, offers unlimited plans only which would allow a user to completely hog their network by hooking it up to a laptop (normally a lot more expensive) with no monetary gain.

This is not special treatment; it's capitalism.

9. spooky2k thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, from stories I have read, replacements in the USA seem to be pretty smooth sailing. Something is wrong, the person calls Apple customer service, it is acknowledged and replaced. Pretty simple right?

Here in the UK, everytime I go into an apple store genius bar or have to speak to applecare, I am treated as if I am lying. I have had to get Consumer Direct (trading standards) involved on both occasions to simply get the screen replaced or the mother board replaced (both of which were under warranty and had failed simply due to me using them). A much better work around that I found was to go to a different Apple store (a quieter one) where the people are eager to help. Both times Consumer Direct was involved, the issue was with the Regent St store, Apple's UK flagship store. I'm certain that an American store wouldn't have treated me as they did here for a simple under warranty parts replacement (again, based on stories I've read).

While I understand your point, I disagree. AT&T could have sorted this out on their own. To have Apple discuss it with them is something that would not happen outside of the USA.
    I think most other peopel on this thread hit the nail on the head (age of the company with regard to retail experience and international experience).

10. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

From my experience and from stories that I have heard from the US, that is the same here, you will typically get better service at the smaller stores than the bigger ones, it is not anything specific to US or UK stores, and that is the case with most stores, not just Apple's.

11. spooky2k thread starter macrumors 6502a

Right you are. Though, this is something that should surely be addressed by a company such as Apple (for example, my McDonalds comparison earlier - if McD's can do it, Apple can).

12. And5555 macrumors member

There is precedent for this kind of thing happening outside of the US. When Rogers' (Canada) plan prices were a bit ridiculous and did not include a plan with enough data, Apple stepped in and something was done. Note that the additional accommodations by Rogers were made in response to Jobs stepping in.

As an additional sidenote, it's not necessarily in the best interest of Apple to sit aside and let AT&T determine their new plans/pricing. If AT&T unveiled a plan to support iPhone tethering that cost $60/month extra, the PR would be a nightmare. With all the negative publicity that Apple has been incurring lately (at least in the US press), they do not need additional missteps. I appreciate the fact that Apple will step in when necessary to keep some of the cell phone companies in line with innovation (and it does in fact happen outside of the US).

13. spooky2k thread starter macrumors 6502a

Isn't the point about Apple simply making the phone meant to be just that - they make the phone, and a network provides a network for it.

They got themselves in too deep with the iPhone. Should be treated just like every other phone.

14. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

iPhone is not just a phone, it's a revolutionary mobile platform =).

15. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

My friends in Japan tell me the Apple Stores offer excellent service and support over there, including the Genius Bar. I don't find it to be surprising at all since Japan is a very Mac-friendly market. :)

16. spooky2k thread starter macrumors 6502a

:d The reality distortion field.
    Call it what you will Mr. Jobs, but you named it iPhone, which tells me it's first and foremost meant to be a phone.