Apple/AT&T/Starbucks WiFi Situation...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mr. Giver '94, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

So I go into Starbucks after looking at that AT&T free WiFi for iPhone locator. I am unable to connect to the Starbucks iTunes page on my iPhone. It keeps misfiring (the page loads and goes blank every three seconds) and I am unable to use the rest of iTunes. Then I try to use the internet and it directs me to a page where I have to set up some kind of AT&T account and pay before I can access the internet. WTF???? :mad:

Am I missing something here, because I thought that free WiFi at Starbucks was one of the features Apple was trying to promote. I think it would be a great idea if I could get it to work. I also don't want to set up an additional account thingy with AT&T because I am tired of having to deal with them over and over again. What is the point of advertising free WiFi if no one can get it working. I'd really appreciate some help or an explanation. Thanks! :)

2. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

The first problem regarding misfiring happens at some locations. Did you try TMobile as well?

The AT&T WiFi requires you to place $5 on a gift card use it. Then log into Starbucks and register the card. Requires computer. You'll generate a User/Password that you'll have I enter each time you go to Starbucks.

3. Mr. Giver '94 thread starter macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

That's interesting. I thought they advertised them as being free hotspots. :confused:

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

There was a lot of chatter about that over the summer (AT&T offering free access to iPhone users), but it never panned out. It'd be available for a day or so, sites like Engadget, Gizmodo, and MacRumors would right articles about it, and then the free AT&T WiFi access for iPhones would disappear. Happened a few times.

5. pilotkid macrumors 6502a

It is free!!! Like the others said above, all you have to do is get a starbucks gift card and load it with a min of $5. You then need to use your gift card once every month or so to keep it active. Once you get your gift card there will be a area that you scratch off on the back and enter a special code that registers the card.(https://www.starbucks.com/card/default.asp) Now you have 2 free hours a day to use the wifi at sbux, when you see the selections of wifi networks you need to select the attwifi not the tmobile one... Now as for the sbux iTunes page not working on your phone it doesnt work on mine either, so I'm pretty sure its a problem on sbux's end...
    Sorry if I sounded harsh, I've worked at sbux for a long time and everyday some asks about this, I dont see what the confusion is about?:confused:
    :rolleyes:

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

How is there not confusion? Maybe it's just the Starbucks in my area, but there's zero information in the stores about this, and the stupid logon page doesn't explain anything either. :confused:

7. Mr. Giver '94 thread starter macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Oh thanks!!!:) I finally understand how it works. That was the major confusion for me. I will try that in the future. :cool:

8. Mr. Giver '94 thread starter macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Yeah, that's why I was so confused. There was zero explanation from Starbucks, AT&T, or Apple about how it worked.

9. pilotkid macrumors 6502a

Thats very strange that they dont have any signs or anything like that. At my store we have signs and little brochures that tell you step by step how to get it all set up. I must admit that starbucks/apple/at&t didnt do a good job of getting it all set up...it wasn't a smooth transition at all...During the first week it was all up and running fine one day and then off for the rest of the week and that went on for about a month. Let me know if you still have trouble getting it set up, I might be able to answer some questions for you.

10. freediverdude macrumors 6502a

The problem is, that the way Steve introduced this in his keynote, was that the iTunes store was supposed to be able to be accessed for free on the iPhone via the Starbucks wifi, no matter what, and that a Starbucks icon was supposed to appear in the iPhone iTunes store while you were in a Starbucks. It's true they never guaranteed internet access other than the iTunes store, but you were supposed to be able to get to iTunes via wifi for free.

11. pilotkid macrumors 6502a

Im pretty sure you can get onto iTunes and even the apple home page for free at Starbucks, you dont need a account to get on either of those. I can get on to both of those without logging in to my AT&T account, the icon pops up and everything for me(iPhone 3G). I can see what song were playing and buy if it I want to, however as of yesterday they were having problems and it was not working on iPhones or iPod touch's, it would however work on laptops. We had an email sent to our store, I haven't been there today so I'm not sure if its all fixed now. Is this was you were talking about?

12. freediverdude macrumors 6502a

Well if that is working, then yes. But last time I was in the local Starbucks it wasn't like that. iTunes would not even open or anything, saying it needed wifi, and then if you opened safari it went to either the t-mobile or at&t page to pay, whichever network you selected. But I'll try it again.

13. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

This is true, but this is not exclusive to the iPhone. Anyone with a computer with a wireless card can access the free Wifi by follow the directions above.

14. pilotkid macrumors 6502a

True as stated, sorry if I made it seem like it was exclusive to apple products...although I'm sure it would work better with them:D

15. Mr. Giver '94 thread starter macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Yeah that's what's happened to me the last few times I've been into Starbucks. Next time I'll do that $5 card thing before I go and give it a try.

16. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

You can utilize the iTunes and App Stores instantly after connecting to the WiFi for FREE.

The above instructions are for total Internet access.