Apple, AT&T sued for over-saturating 3G network with iPhones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by goodcow, Sep 3, 2008.

1. goodcow macrumors 6502a

http://www.appleinsider.com/article..._over_saturating_3g_network_with_iphones.html

2. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (16GB, 2.0.2 JB'd): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

Awesome! Maybe Apple will FINALLY get around to fixing this crap 2.0 software of theirs.

My fingers are crossed! :D

3. Lord Sandwich macrumors regular

This region/nationwide outage should give the class-action some legs. I'm sick to death of AT&T and Apple pointing fingers at each other for this mess.

4. gray67 macrumors member

gray67

I want to join the class! Stupid AT&T/Apple partnership.

5. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

Yeah, I want to join so that I can see Apple and AT&T spend millions of dollars on legal fees and then if they win they can pay out millions of dollars in compensation.

Oh, wait....the only people who win in that scenario are the attorneys. And all that money spent by Apple and AT&T is money that could have been used to fix the problems.

You folks do understand that in lawsuits such as this, the members of the class get pennies on the dollar and the vast majority of the money goes to the attorneys right?

Don't take what I am saying wrong. I acknowledge the problem and believe that Apple and AT&T need to fix the issues. I just think that in the end, we the customers all lose by going this route. YMMV.

6. Lord Sandwich macrumors regular

To me it's not about the money; it's about keeping pressure on Apple and AT&T to improve a service whose shoddiness is being kept under wraps.

A class-action should help to draw negative attention until these two companies with billions upon billions of cash reserves actually get their respective acts together and do more than put out a x.x.+1 firmware update with "bug fixes".

7. vrflyer macrumors 6502

vrflyer

For every action there's a reaction, let's see how they settle this one out in the end.

We need an upside down ----> :apple:

8. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Not true. There was a class action lawsuit awhile back over ipod batteries and I got $50 back as a result and I didn't pay any attorney fees. This lawsuit could result in a partial credit to people's AT&T bill -- which is significant.

I'm sorry if you own Apple stock or something, but this is a known issue.

9. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

You're right, sort of. You didn't write a check to the attorneys for their attorneys fees. But a large portion of the settlement went to paying attorneys fees which reduced the amount of money each person got back.

Trust me, the only people who really win in these lawsuits are the attorneys.

10. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I don't disagree with you there--the attorneys make out in any case. However, I considered the $50 I actually received to be fair. It's not like I expected to get a new ipod or something.

Sometimes a lawsuit like this is worthwhile even if inidividual claimants dont get anything because it forces a change in business practices that benefits consumers. I think society is in general far to litigious, but since I have directly experienced issues I think this suit and others like it have merit.

11. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (16GB, 2.0.2 JB'd): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

I agree completely. The great thing about this lawsuit isn't how much each person might get (pennies, after all) but rather that it might help encourage Apple to NOT release steaming piles of crap to the market like they did with the 2.0 software.

12. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I wish I could look back, but I swear I called this happening. There weren't too many devices that used, let alone really utilized, the 3G network in the US. Then you pop a million iPhones on it within a month and KABOOM, the service is flooded. Just imagine all the people using MLB At Bat to watch videos or just downloading apps over 3G.

I know I have called out this problem when it comes to "why can't we download songs over 3G?" If you 3G users think you're having problems now, imagine the flood of traffic that songs would push.

All on the Poo AT&T :)

13. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

And my point is that forcing Apple to spend money and time defending what is essentially a pointless lawsuit serves only as a distraction resulting in money that could be spent on fixing the problem being spent on worthless attorneys.

If we were six months or a year out on this product and still having problems I could understand but we aren't. And if you think the individual and law firm that filed this suit did so just to get Apple and AT&T to fix the problem, think again. They are in it for the money.

14. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

You're right - we're not six months in - we're almost two months in and yet Apple has yet to fix a number of glaring problems with the 2.0 software, including my personal favorite, the "Apple Logo of Death," a problem which continues to plague more and more people, yet could be easily fixed (at least temporarily) by increasing the watchdog process' timeout from two minutes to three. Yet, the problem still remains.

Hopefully these suits, and any ensuing negative publicity, will encourage Apple to release products which actually function as advertised, rather than releasing steaming piles of crap with showstopping bugs and design flaws that remain after a full TWO MONTHS on the market.

15. oban14 macrumors 6502a

I'm all for it. If these companies get hit with enough class action suits, maybe they'll learn to respect their customers and not oversaturate the network.

16. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

You're right. I would rather Apple spend $5,000,000.00+/year defending a lawsuit that by the time it actually gets to court (5 years from now, if it doesn't get tossed out before then) the problems will be fixed or irrelevant, rather than go out and hire 25 - 50 additional software engineers and software QA guys to work directly on resolving these issues in a quicker and more reliable manner. Because we all know that spending money on attorneys is the best way to solve a problem.

Don't get me wrong, I work for a law firm (not a lawyer, just work for them). I'm all for job security. So as long as people keep suing people, valid reasons or no, I know my job isn't going anyplace.

17. oban14 macrumors 6502a

When Apple and AT&T are willing to reimburse me for each month of service, as well as a prorated refund for the iPhone, I'll consider such an argument.

Class action lawsuits have their place: They are there to warn large corporations to keep their act together. Apple & AT&T screwed up, and now they must pay.

18. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

I said you were right. What more do you want? Like I said, attitudes such as yours is what keeps me employed. So get on with your bad self and sign up for the suit and see how far the whole thing gets. I know where I would put my money.

19. pcorrado macrumors regular

Don't tell me you are one of those that think attorneys are worthless...there are too many out but then you need one and the attorney becomes your best friend

As for your comment, I don't think it is necessarily in disagreement with the opinions on this board in favor of the lawsuit if you consider that the root of their argument is that the lawsuit will encourage Apple/AT&T to fix the problem faster than if there was an absence of one...I mean you assume that if they weren't spending money on legal fees they would be spending it on development instead of sitting on the profit (they could be, but I wouldn't base much on that assumption)

Also while the attorneys do stand to profit big from this, actually maintain a lawsuit, let alone a class action for as many years as litigation takes in the US is a lot of hard work...so hard that people who are not specially trained can't do it (hell even some with the training can't) These attorney's will earn a good portion of that money

An yes, I am an attorney.

edit: I just saw that you worked for a law firm so you should know how hard working on litigation is and what a pain it is to have a case take up time for 6 years with no payment in...i take back my earlier assumption that you hate attorneys...you know and therefore have every right to hate them! J/k but I do apologize for making assumptions

20. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

A class action is unlikely to do that. It will simply be a money sink and distraction for AT&T and Apple, for which we'll see little benefit.

Anyone who's been a "class member" in these suits will tell you what the "Settlement" tends to consist of. Never is the problem really addressed, at least not as a direct result of the lawsuit. Usually the settlement ends up being something like "here's this gift crd that we nominally value at about $5. In exchange, you accept that things will continue to be as they are and you can't sue us again for it."

21. aridon macrumors member

As opposed to doing nothing and hoping they either stop selling Iphones or improve the entire national network?

Sorry but if you don't poke them in the ass they aren't going to move and do a damn thing. People understand two things really well, pain and pocket book.

22. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Who said they aren't working on network improvements already? And how quickly we forget that a lot of the 3G problems are firmware, not network. $$$ does that to you.

...and the quickest way to end both is to bri-- err, pay the lawyers to just go away. Oh, and to give you your $5 gift card.

23. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Of course I would rather Apple spend their money on additional software engineers and QA people than legal fees, but they obviously haven't seen fit to do so, which is why we're stuck with buggy, laggy, unresponsive software. They could've spent their money on that stuff, but they clearly chose not to. Hopefully this lawsuit will encourage them to rethink their priorities.

24. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

All of the problems have been fixed, if only everyone would upgrade to 2.0.2, and my EDGE speed is usually much faster than the official EDGE speeds. I expect this to be dismissed quickly.

TEG

25. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

EXACTLY. I have been filing crash reports and leaving feedback since July 11th, and Apple has now had two opportunities to correct the ALoD design flaw but hasn't seen fit. Hopefully this lawsuit, along with the accompanying negative publicity, will encourage them to actually FIX the steaming pile of crap they call the iPhone/iPod 2.0 software and get back on track with products that "just work," instead of just ignoring the complaints and leaving us stuck with slow, buggy software.