Apple/ATT Return Policy on new iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thomamon, Dec 1, 2008.

1. thomamon macrumors 6502a

thomamon

I am just wondering if anyone out there knows the return policy on the iPhone if you purchase it through the Apple Store? And is there an advantage to purchasing it at the Apple Store as compared to the ATT Store?

I am just curious as to how long I have to return it for if a newer version is released in the near future and I wanted to upgrade.

Thanks!

2. thomamon thread starter macrumors 6502a

thomamon

Also... I am terrified of switching because depending on who I talk to I hear horrific things about the AT&T Network. I know when my brother calls me from his ATT phone, it sounds like he's talking into a tin can with a string in the end. Other people tell me it use to be awful, but it is much improved. So I don't want to sign a two year contract until I feel certain the service will be OK.

3. icedmocha macrumors regular

Your service depends on your area. If your brother has bad service, you may as well. Is it his phone? You local AT&T store should have phones that you can test. The return policy (at least in PA, check state laws and regulations) is 30 days with a ten percent restocking fee. As others have mentioned you will drive yourself nuts waiting for hardwear updates. If you like the phone, buy it. What hardwear are you waiting for? If you can't think of any, and are happy with the phone, get it.

4. jc1350 macrumors 6502a

I checked both Apple's and ATT's site. What I found is that both offer:

"Full" Refund in first 30-days (no ETF charge at all). BUT to get the activation fee refunded, it has to be returned within THREE DAYS. 10% restocking fee applies to all. The Phone must be returned. So, if it's between 4 and 30 days, you lose about $56 for on the 8GB model ($36 activation, $20 restocking fee).

After 30-days, you are subject to the ETF.

Now, I can understand a restocking fee because they have to repackage it for sale and at that point...is it "used" or is there a legal grace period?

But to charge an "activation fee" is pure greed for any carrier/phone. But, us sheeple (myself included) still pay it, don't we?

5. thomamon thread starter macrumors 6502a

thomamon

Thank you! So the 16GB Model would be about $10 more. This is very helpful.