Apple + ATT == SUCKS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zeeklancer, Oct 25, 2008.

1. zeeklancer macrumors regular

Ok guys,

I am not happy with Apple or ATT.

I went to go get the 3G iPhone today at the Apple store. I get there I am all ready to check and and then they want my last 4 of the social on the account. Which in my case happens to be my mothers because I got my first cell phone in 8th grade, and have had the same number since. When in 8th grade I was not able to put the account in my name, so it has been in my mothers name ever since. Because of this Apple wont give me a iPhone, even though I had all the information on the account and have been paying the cell bill with my credit card for years.

Apple tells me to go get my mother and bring her to the store. I tell them that she is sick (which she is) and can't come out right now. I continued to tell them how she will just give them the same info and that they should just put the iPhone order through so we can all be on our way. The guy refused to give me my iPhone, even after I logged in to ATT's site and showed him the entire account with my name on it and everything.

The Apple rep then tells me that I can go to the ATT store and I wont need my mother. So I do this. I go to the ATT store and they want me to bring my mother in too. Mind you I have been managing this account for years. Bought many phones, extended contracts, changed service plans and never once did I need my mother. So I talk the guy in to calling my mother, which he does and finally said I can get an iPhone. So he goes to the back of the store and comes back to let me know THAT THEY ARE OUT OF IPHONE!!!

So, here I am stuck with my old iPhone because the system Apple and ATT have setup sucks donkey balls, all in the name of making sure nobody uses the new iPhone on some other network.

For those who say, well that is just the way it is.. I challenge you, does it have to be that way? And before you say 'yes' think about iPhone G2!!!!

I payed $500 for the first gen iPhone and did not have any of theses problems. I want to go upgrade and all the sudden I am suck? This sucks and Apple + ATT need to fix the system.

(sorry for the rant, but it really erks me that I pay $200 a month for a service and can't do a thing with it now)

Yes I know I should get the account in my name, but the last time I tired they won't let me keep my numbers when moving names. Yes, my mother can move the number to another service provider, but they won't let me keep my number, they also want me to put down a $200 deposit to change the name which is also stupid seeing how they can check the logs and see it has been my credit card that has payed the bill for the last 5 years.

GERR AT ATT AND APPLE!

-Zeek

EDIT:
    sense --> since

2. gibbz macrumors 68030

Not to be inconsiderate, but this policy has been known since before the 3G was released. I think there are plenty of similar threads here that you could read through for people's opinions. If you are 18 or older, your mom can make you an authorized user able to sign contracts in person.

Also I hate to be picky, but it is 'since' not 'sense'.

3. Brandon Heat macrumors regular

4. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

I actually can understand your anger and frustration. Clearly, it is your account and you have been managing and paying for it for years. They are more than happy to take your money over the course of the contract but act like drones when it comes to helping you out.

5. zeeklancer thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, but I have already been made an 'authorized' user, for everything but the iPhone. Like I said, I have been changing account details at the ATT store for years. I even remember when I had to bring my mother in to make me an authorized account user. This issue is strictly for the iPhone. I could go buy the latest LG phone and switch my data plan right this second if I wanted, and nobody would say a word. But I even utter iPhone, and all the sudden I can't do anything on the account.

-Zeek

6. zeeklancer thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, this is me right now. Sorry, I want my iPhone G3!!!!

7. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

G3?

8. greggov macrumors member

man, that sucks. I'm in a similar situation (pay my bill, but still my my parents name)

BUT, before I got my phone on launch day, i made sure to add my self as an Authorized User on the account. I guess what this does is enable me to make changes to contracts, etc... So I did that. And I already knew the last 4 of my mom's SS#. So I went into the apple store, the ask for my name, account name, and social, I supply them with all the information, and that's that. i walk out with an iPhone.

I say try again at the apple store. Don't supply them with any more information than they ask for (ie, dont go in saying 'account isnt in my name, but...)

The first iPhone was not subsidized, and at the time of purchase, you were not altering or creating a contract. Things changed.

I believe it's called a transfer of service? a buddy of mine went through something similar (at&t had him going in circles too) It shouldn't affect your number at all. All they basically do is transfer the account from your mom's name into your name. As for the deposit, that could be legit, depending on your credit history. Just because you pay the bill on your account, at&t doesn't know what your credit score/history is. If it's "only" $200, that's not terrible, I've heard it could be up to $500. And as long as you pay on time, you get it back after something like 6 or 12 months? I'm not sure the time frame.

Good luck the next time around. Not that I like all this corporate bureaucracy crap, but it's sort of a necessary evil, and all the people who abuse the system make it that much harder for those of us who play by the rules.

edit-
    i see a bunch of people beat me too it. my power keeps flickering here and kicking me off the net :/

9. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Man it must really suck to have to deal with your crappy old iPhone 2G, what a hard life you're living.

10. veeco3110 macrumors 6502

veeco3110

ORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR you can quit your bit*hin and open up a cell phone account of your own and port the number over.

or have your mom put you as a authorized signer for the account so you can make changes to the account...

or you can get a blackberry

11. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

An account in someone else's name is their account, not yours. Hopefully this trivial experience will teach you to "own" the accounts you use, whether it is a phone, car, house, etc. You need a good credit history to do a surprising number of things. Without it, you will be denied or be charged more.

12. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

You can probably have AT&T customer service transfer the ownership of the account from your mother to you. Might take some verification on AT&T's part with your mother, but in the end it would probably be worth it for you.

13. zeeklancer thread starter macrumors regular

Funny thing is nobody said I have bad credit... In fact I have great credit, and a great job.

The problem is the last time I tried to move the account over to my name they wanted to give me new numbers and not allow me to keep my old ones. Like I said I have been paying for this account for a very long time. All I want is to keep my number.

And again, this has nothing to do with the ATT account, only has to do with Apple + ATT, not just ATT.

The problem is that if it involves an iPhone extra requirements that are out of the ordinary for ATT come in place.

I have bought over 5 phones with contract extensions and change rates and plans on this account without having the primary account holders name there.

My name is on the account and I am an authorized account user and have the ability to manage the account for everything BUT the iPhone.

I guess I am frustrated because nobody seems to understand that the issue is only when dealing with an iPhone. No other phone or service do I have any problems with. Point and case I just added another line and another (non iphone) to the account 2 weeks ago, no questions asked. I walk in today and get all this static because I happen to want to get an iPhone.

14. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

You would need another page or two just for listing the edits.

FYI, base on the information given, the problem is you, not AT&T or Apple. You blame sales reps for following protocols to protect customers from fraud? Get a clue...

15. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Go to another AT&T store and/or call their toll-free number (which I don't know offhand). I don't think the person/people you dealt with know everything about porting numbers because you're supposed to be able to do it pretty freely. You should also be able to switch the account into your name at any store by just having your mother there at the same time at some point.

Also, do us all a favor and learn the name of the GD product you want to buy.

16. skrutzen macrumors regular

Or how about this: if you're an authorized user, YOUR social security number WILL work. I know this for a fact.

Also, keep in mind that you are literally signing a legal document when you get the phone at the Apple Store or AT&T store so if the account is under your mom's name then guess what, she's responsible for whatever you do and if you forge her name, AT&T and Apple have huge legal issues on their hands.

17. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

That's what I did. I had no problem transferring my number over. Back in 1999, when I got my first cell phone, my parents managed the AT&T account. A few years later, I opened my own AT&T account and they transferred my number over. I had no problem whatsoever. All I had to do was ask. :)

(FYI: when I bought my iPhone3G at the Apple store, they asked me for the last four of my SSN and I told them. From start to finish, the whole transaction only took about three minutes. I thought it was excellent service. When he asked for my email address, I asked why, and he said "so I can email your receipt to your phone now." I said "cool." )
    open your own account [​IMG] everyone's doing it.

18. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

19. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Yes, we're all desperately wondering how this heart-wrenching saga turns out!! Did you manage to turn your life around and start living like a real human, or are you still stuck in the dreary tortured existence that is having to use an iPhone 2G?

20. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

have mom call and authorize the number to go into your name, then u call and they get all your info and put it into your name. takes about 15 mins, easy enough. keep your same number, rollover, plan, w/e... $18 fee to transfer it, but well worth it due to the fact u wont have these problems any more.

21. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

authorized users social isnt even on the acct, they only use government issued photo ID to verify the acct (new FCC regulations). authorized user will work in any at&t store idk y apple recently changed it to where only the account holder can do it, lame.