Apple Attending NeurIPS 2019 Next Week, World's Largest Machine Learning Conference

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has announced that it will be attending the 33rd Conference and Workshop on Neural Information Processing Systems (NeurIPS) in Vancouver, Canada from Sunday, December 8 through Saturday, December 14.

In a new entry to its Machine Learning Journal, Apple said its product teams are "engaged in state of the art research in machine hearing, speech recognition, natural language processing, machine translation, text-to-speech, and artificial intelligence, improving the lives of millions of customers every day."

Apple employees will be making a series of presentations at the conference. A schedule is provided in Apple's Machine Learning Journal.

Machine learning algorithms play a role in virtually every Apple product and service, ranging from Apple Maps and Apple News to Siri and the QuickType keyboard on iPhone and iPad. Apple has machine learning jobs available in areas such as artificial intelligence, computer vision, data science, and deep learning.

Article Link: Apple Attending NeurIPS 2019 Next Week, World's Largest Machine Learning Conference

Bandaman

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2019
They have literally gone an entire generation of AI without doing much to improve it (7-8 years). I think they'll probably just wait for AGI to become mainstream, then they'll jump on it.
I feel like Siri has actually gotten worse somehow, not better. :(

Reactions: Vanilla35

Promostyle

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2002
Portland, OR
I’d love to know what hardware Apple uses for its ML work.
Exactly! Apple doesn’t make any hardware suitable for actual ML from a professional standpoint and the new Mac (video) Pro without Nvidia makes it useless for any serious ML - especially at its price point.

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
The few posts in this thread do a very good job of illustrating that what Apple will be talking about at this conference is above the level of many people's comprehension.

Bandaman

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2019
The few posts in this thread do a very good job of illustrating that what Apple will be talking about at this conference is above the level of many people's comprehension.
Siri uses machine learning and Siri has sucked for ages now ... so it's definitely something of a concern.

MGrayson3

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2013
FWIW, I am aware that most ML is done on a large cluster of cloud machines. It was a rhetorical question.