Apple authorized replacement, timeframe?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thadoggfather, Feb 2, 2010.

  1. thadoggfather Suspended

    thadoggfather

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2007
    #1
    Apple authorized a replacement on my early 2008 mbp which is a lemon and has had an abundance of repairs and problems.

    this was about a week or two. i couldnt talk to the guy who authorized it but i have a case # and all that , and the other guy i was working with refused to give me the model with 9600M , only the base with 9400M as he said most specs were comparable to my early 2008 2.4ghz c2d.

    so i tried calling back the rep I originally dealt with, left a voicemail saturday, still havent heard back. should i just order a replacement with 9400M (i don't actually do graphics intensive stuff, but what if i did) ? the rep didn't even understand this discrete vs integrated stuff, he said it doesnt say that anywhere in the specs. what a noob. he wanted to charge me $300 to order the 9600M model (i refuse).

    also he matched RAM, cpu speed, etc. but i upgraded my ram from 2 to 4 gb a year ago, so from RAM and GPU discrete alone, the 9600M matches my current model more. But i neglected to mention the RAM upgrade I did, i wonder if that would hurt my case ( a user upgrade )

    also, is there a certain time frame from the authorization of a replacement to when it expires? if so, i'll get a current model replacement. if not, i'll wait until arrandale comes out (once it's out, they should replace it with that right? i would expect the current model to be on clearance and refurb and to sell out quickly)

    help??? thanks!!!\
     
  2. harodude macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 7, 2007
    #2
    If everything is noted in the account, there should be no issue with waiting. I would hold out as long as possible, especially if you have another machine available for your needs...

    Another route you can take once you have made up your mind... Call in and ask to speak with Cust. Relations regarding what has gone on. They are much more accommodating, and you could use the extensive waiting period to your advantage (mention something like, you were awaiting a call from the original tier 2 who had authorized the replacement, but he has neglected to stay in contact since...).

    Good luck, and mentioning the ram upgrade won't hurt you.
     
  3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

    iLog.Genius

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2009
    Location:
    Toronto, Ontario
    #3
    You're not wrong but the one replacing your computer isn't either. There has never been a easy solution when it comes to replacing an older model with a new one.

    If you upgraded RAM and/or HDD on your own, that is not considered towards the replacement; Apple is in no way obligated to match your upgraded MacBook Pro with the same hardware as your old one. So if you have a base early-2008 MacBook Pro w/ 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB DDR2 RAM, 200GB HDD, 8600M GT, you're going to get something very similar to that and that would be the base late-2008 MacBook Pro w/ 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB DD3 RAM, 250 HDD. The only thing missing would be the GPU which in this case is an integrated and not the discrete 9600M GT. It's not unreasonable, if they decided to give you a dual GPU MacBook Pro, you're getting everything and more and from Apple's view, it's not fair.

    You can try to see what CSR can do for you but right now the argument is just the GPU, you're getting everything back and a newer computer which is already worth it (comparing models). Also, if you really want it that bad, it's only $300 to upgrade to the mid-level MacBook Pro w/ 2.66GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM and 320GB HDD.
     
  4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2007
    #4
    huh?

    I think that CSR had been smoking crack.

    The 9400m is less powerful than the 8600m gt and uses system ram. It would be a downgrade in every sense of the word. It's not his fault Apple gave him a lemon which warrants replacement :D
     
  5. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

    thadoggfather

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2007
    #5
    Cool I dealt with a more legit customer service rep, getting the 2.66ghz with 9600M GT :)
     
  6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

    iLog.Genius

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2009
    Location:
    Toronto, Ontario
    #6
    It's true. But if you're comparing, he's getting more with the new one EXCEPT for the GPU. That's where the arguments starts to happen. If I'm a user and know that I don't need a discrete graphics card, the base MacBook Pro is more than enough of a replacement.
     
  7. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

    thadoggfather

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2007
    #7
    i see it from both sides, but if i make the argument that i bought a macbook pro for a discrete graphics card and am now not getting one which hinders my gaming and work, then it should be replaced no questions. if the customer doesn't raise a stink, then 9400M fine.

    the senior rep i dealt with said i had 8600M GT which will be replaced with the 9600M GT model at no additional charge.

    i dunno why i was waiting for arrandale for so long, i dont even really need the specs. and it's a free (aside from my time wasted, repairs, frustration, and calls to customer service) replacement. if i really want or feel i need the refresh (MARKETING) then i'll do the sell and buy game. either way, glad it all worked out and I don't have to be on hold over the phone any longer
     
  8. auero macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2006
  9. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

    MacModMachine

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2009
    Location:
    Canada
    #9
    dont feel bad...i have done this a few times :|
     
  10. dan5.5 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2008
    #10
    It's good that u got them to give you the 2.66 one. That's the way it's supposed to be. Enjoy the new laptop!
     
  11. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

    thadoggfather

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2007
    #11
    order should be placed and hopefully go out today, and hopefully it will come early next week :)
     
  12. harodude macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 7, 2007
    #12
    Are they having you fill out legal forms?

    If the order is placed by like 2pm pacific, there is a good chance you could have it at your doorstep tomorrow! Unless it's cto...
     
  13. sharkzfanz macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2008
    Location:
    San Jose, CA
    #13
    None CTO replacements are shipping from China... No matter what it will take a few days.. Mine was shipped 2/1 and arrived 2/4
     
  14. dan5.5 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2008
    #14
    I had mine overnighted from California... this was like 3 months ago
     
  15. sharkzfanz macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2008
    Location:
    San Jose, CA
    #15
    Yeah just warning the OP since the last 4 replacements listed in mac rumors all in the last 2 weeks shipped direct from China..
     
  16. PacMookBro macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2007
    #16
    fyi

    My replacement (non CTO) was shipped from China on Feb 2nd PST and the estimate delivery is tomorrow. So 3 days.
     
  17. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

    thadoggfather

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2007
    #17
    Shipped from Shanghai, China

    I hope it's here early next week :D
     

Share This Page