Apple automated order check said "your refurbished macbook air"

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by MyAppleWorld, Nov 12, 2013.

1. MyAppleWorld macrumors 6502

MyAppleWorld

Hello

Today I ordered a macbook air at apple store online (13, 8gb, 256, i5)

I'm aware it's a BTO but the website said
    Get it faster

These popular configurations ship within 24 hours. So I clicked the link and it came to the same price as manually selecting the options.

I just called apple on the 0800 number and the automated order check serviced referenced my MBA as a 'refurbished macbook air' ?!!!!! WTH???

I spoke to a customer care rep and they told me to disregard that message.

Why would it say that? I did NOT order from the refurb store

Anyone else had this?

Hopefully it will arrive tomrrow but still says preparing for despatch,

2. dean1012 macrumors regular

I've never ordered refurbished but if I heard that message from an automated system i'd be concerned and have a hard time ignoring it.

Unfortunately, i'm not sure if there's a way to verify a particular mac product is new or refurbished (assuming an absence of damage).

Tread carefully.

3. MyAppleWorld thread starter macrumors 6502

MyAppleWorld

i am most alarmed - Think i will call again tomorrow and speak to another rep.

----------

on UPS tracking page it says

MBAIR 13.3/1.3/8/256FLASH-GBR

Not seen this notation before

4. coldsweat macrumors 6502

coldsweat

Refurbished will arrive with a brown box & new will be in a fully printed box!

5. MyAppleWorld thread starter macrumors 6502

MyAppleWorld

im concerned there is some conspiracy going on! especially given that it's a BTO and arriving NEXT DAY!

6. dean1012 macrumors regular

Yeah I have a very hard time believing BTO would be available next day but it is still possible, particularly if someone did a BTO then cancelled.

I'd wait to see the box. If it's fully printed and looks like it hasn't been touched i'd err on the side of "new" and just try to confirm with Apple.

If it's not a fully printed box or it's obviously a refurb, i'd call Apple to arrange a return for full refund and get a new one.

7. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

No conspiracy - just as the previous poster said, the boxes will be completely different for the 2 types of units.

I know you ordered new, and should receive that, but also be aware that the Apple refurbs are pristine. I've never had one with so much as a scratch on it.

8. Quackers macrumors 6502a

I ordered a new rMBP last December and it arrived early January. It was not a refurb and it came in a plain brown outer box, though the internal box was white with the proper markings.

9. AnorexicPig macrumors 6502

AnorexicPig

Not possible that it was a new unit, new ones will never ever come in brown outer box,they will come in the 'Apple MacBook Pro blah blah' branded white shiny boxes. It was a refurb.

----------

Well, even if it was pristine, it makes no sense to recieve a refurb when he paid the price of a 'new' MBA.

10. qawsed macrumors regular

We I assume he meant the outer shipping box was brown with the usual white retail box inside. As per normal.

11. AnorexicPig macrumors 6502

AnorexicPig

Oh lol :eek:, my bad.

12. savetheunstable macrumors newbie

As everyone noted, the box is different - my refurb came in a plain white box with no Mac logos or anything on it.

Also if you are still concerned, you can check the battery cycle count, once you get it:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1519

13. Quackers macrumors 6502a

That's correct :)
    I still have both boxes if you'd like to see them.

14. qawsed macrumors regular

It's ok, I believe you!

15. Quackers macrumors 6502a

Oh good! I'm not too good with iPhone cameras ;) :)

16. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

I always get Apple refurbs. The one time I had a problem was a PowerMac G5, which was immediately and apologetically replaced by Apple. The previous owner broke off the RAM clips on the motherboard, and there was a cockroach in the box (no extra charge). :p

17. brian0101 macrumors newbie

Automated system and refurbished

I too have ordered a Macbook Air (New) with the same specs and have got the same message from the automated system. I'm supposed to receive it today, and have phoned many times to Apple Care, even played a recording of the Automated message.

No one knows why, and blames it on a screwup with the Automated system. This is from a tech company:confused:

Unfortunately, this doesn't do much for consumer confidence.

18. MyAppleWorld thread starter macrumors 6502

MyAppleWorld

mine was fine brian, it was not a refurb

19. AppleMacNerd macrumors regular

Obviously an error somewhere in the system that would be quite difficult to find, glad it was just the automatic message error and you got the product you wanted so quickly! :D :apple:

20. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

what do you mean the internal box? we aren't talking about the box they use to ship the computer we ARE talking about the "internal box"

as in the one you'd pull down off the shelf if you bought it in the store.

edit - whoops, already addressed...that'll teach me to line by line comment.