Apple back to school and the september iPod update

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by camilletom, Jun 12, 2010.

1. camilletom macrumors member

camilletom

Hello.
    Like every year, apple is doing the "apple back to school" offer for students.
    Being a freshman in the fall, I will of course use this opportunity to buy a new macbook pro and get a free iPod touch. The problem is that in september, like every year, apple will probably refresh the iPod line and so I am afraid, since the offer is possible until september 7th, that I will not be able to replace the iPod they gave me in the summer with the new 4th generation iPod.

Does anyone know what's Apple policy regarding the replacement of a product that you purchase a short time before they make the update? Shall I buy the mac at the end of august to be sure they will replace the ipod or it doesn't matter if I buy it now? Does someone know the exact period?

Thank you so much! :)

2. aristobrat macrumors G5

I think Apple goes out of its way to prevent that. Read the section below, and then read the "Qualifying Product" part after it.

New iPods will have part numbers that won't be on the "Qualifying Products" list.

Code:
    iPod
    iPod touch iPod classic 160GB iPod nano 16GB
    iPod nano 8GB
    iPod shuffle 4GB (stainless steel)
    iPod shuffle 4GB
    Qualifying Part Numbers (Personalized or engraved versions of the iPod models below are also eligible)
    MC086LL/A, MC008LL/A, MC011LL/A MC293LL/A, MC297LL/A
    MC060LL/A, MC062LL/A, MC064LL/A, MC066LL/A, MC068LL/A, MC070LL/A, MC072LL/A, MC074LL/A, MC075LL/A
    MC027LL/A, MC031LL/A, MC034LL/A, MC037LL/A, MC040LL/A, MC043LL/A, MC046LL/A , MC049LL/A, MC050LL/A
    MC303LL/A
    (Not available at Apple Authorized Campus Stores)
    MB867LL/B, MC164LL/B, MC328LL/A, MC307LL/A, MC331LL/A, MC303LL/A
    Maximum Rebate Amount
    $199 $199 $179
    $149
    $99
    $79

3. camilletom thread starter macrumors member

camilletom

that's too bad :(...
    So I won't get a free 4th generation iPod??? :eek:

4. aristobrat macrumors G5

5. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Sorry- but it is one of the ways they clear out older iPod's....it is a pretty great deal no matter what version.

6. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

Well I would suggest that you buy the MBP and take your free ipod touch with it and then sell it to save money for the new ipod...that ways you'll save money on the ipod touch. Buy the MBP before the scheme ends (probably end of august) and then just wait for a few days until they launch the ipod.

Hope it helps :)

7. camilletom thread starter macrumors member

camilletom

8. brendu macrumors 68020

I would tell you to use the discount and pay $100 of your own money to get the 32GB iPod Touch.. that way you can still use iOS4 when you get it...

9. MacTrader001 macrumors newbie

does anyone think its possible to take the free ipod touch back to an apple store and say they got it as a gift, but you already have an iphone. So you want to exchange for something else or a giftcard of equal value? anyone have any experience with this? thanks.

10. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

One- it is not honest!
    Two- they will see right through it.
    Three- they will likely do nothing without proof of purchase.
    Four- expect bad karma to come your way if you do this...probably bad Apple Karma :eek:

11. aristobrat macrumors G5

Apple Stores POS system keeps track of serial numbers.

If the iPod touch associated with your rebate is returned/exchanged, it will invalidate your rebate.

12. racer1441 macrumors 68000

No such thing.

13. sagnier macrumors regular

you could get both laptop and touch now, then sell the touch straight away and put the cash towards a 4th gen. but can you bear to not open it and play around with it once its in your hands?

theres no way, if purchased as part of this promo, that you will get a 3rd gen exchanged for a 4th.