Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kane08

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Actually, that was a state supreme court (Indiana I believe) that ruled that you couldn't resist an unlawful entry by police into your home, but you could still press charges. Total crap ruling, but just wanted to put the facts out there

JonB3Z

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
Not really the same thing, is it? I mean, I contributed to Japanese earthquake relief, but I'm not hiring a lawyer to defend other people against Lodsys. This action by Apple is clearly in their own best interests. That it is also in the interests of independent developers is a fortuitous win-win.

Of course Apple does not do it out of charity ... its mainly a big cooperation that needs to make money. The independent developers are part of their money making strategy. If they would have this one let through, they would have suffered a big loss since too many independed devs would have stopped (or not started) developing good stuff. They could have said 'ok, we have a big enough app and developer base, we don't need to bother' - but that would have hurt their reputation (on the short term).

I still applaude Apple that they didn't rush out any stupid statements but took the time to look into the problem and than fire back (in support of the developers and their own advantage)

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Not really the same thing, is it? I mean, I contributed to Japanese earthquake relief, but I'm not hiring a lawyer to defend other people against Lodsys. This action by Apple is clearly in their own best interests. That it is also in the interests of independent developers is a fortuitous win-win.

Well we will have to agree to disagree. Sure Apple wants to protect their interests but they also have a genuine care for their employees and their developers. Ask anyone who works for Apple or has been to their WWDC's.

dwsolberg

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2003
This is one of many reasons why the iOS is the best platform for developers. It may be good business, but it's still nice.

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
Well technically they can't countersue because no one at all has been sued yet.

However, Apple could potentially intervene in any suit. I have little to no knowledge of patent law but elsewhere there is a concept called a "declaratory action" where a party can sue another to get a judge's ruling on what a contract says. Potentially Apple could do something similar here to get a ruling that its license covers all app store devs.

As if Apple ever prevailed in patent disputes. Not even once.

Microsoft settled for quite a bit of cash...

codewrangler

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Way to go Apple

I like that Apple doesn't do 'gut' reactions and takes the time to evaluate what the issue is and where they stand legally, yet still responds in a timely manner.

I assumed that the outcome would be that they would back their devs on this. It was just a matter of determining what their license actually allows and affirming it to the satisfaction of their legal team.

Way to go Apple! I think it's awesome that you are backing your devs and allowing them to just do what they do best.

Excellent! :)

kicolas

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2009
Montréal
Is a patent a product ??

From lodsys's website FAQ :
Q: Is Lodsys “shooting in the dark” hoping for a payout? (http://www.tuaw.com)
05/15/2011

No, Lodsys is methodically selling its product (patent rights) in the most efficient means it can. [....]

WOW !!! Seriously !!! Patents shouldn't be considered as a product to sell. It should helps companies to create, develop, invent a product and sell it !

Take a look at lodsys's website, they are obviously patent troll.

Software patent laws should change.

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
Jeez, I had to read that tweet twice. I thought it said "Steve, I wan't to kiss your huge c@#k"!! My bad.

Sunreacher

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; nl-nl) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Steve Jobs: "And now i want to introduce you to a new service, specially for our developers. iCountersue is a revolutionary service. It will protect our magical App Market. It's AMAZING, and it now available for just an extra 10% of your sales. Magical."

damage00

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2008
I think council meant to say "irrefutably licensed" not "undisputedly licensed". By definition, Lodsys making claims against the developers means the licenses are disputed.

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
Well the app stores seem to be doing a good job. Apple took the appropriate time to consider this and decided to tell lodsys they need to stop. And Google recently took the time to remove over 20 malware apps that somehow made it into the android store.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
I think that Apple took time to answer to this threat as it was making sure all angles were covered. In some way all Developers are covered by the Apple Patent for these among other reasons:
- Apple implemented the patent into functions of the iOS SDK. Developers only invoke those functions, just as a user would invoke a function of any program.
- Due to the fact that all iOS Apps distribution uses the Apple App Store, taking Apple a percentage of the profits and paying the rest to the Developers, and being no other 'legal' way to do so, all iOS Developers would technically be considered as sub-contracted developers working for Apple. To understand this better, keep in mind that all iOS Apps MUST be evaluated and approved by Apple. If Developers were 'independent', their apps wouldn't need to be approved by Apple at all. So in a way, all iOS Developers that belong to the iOS Developers Program work for Apple, and Apple is already licensed for those patents.

What do you think?

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; nl-nl) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Steve Jobs: "And now i want to introduce you to a new service, specially for our developers. iCountersue is a revolutionary service. It will protect our magical App Market. It's AMAZING, and it now available for just an extra 10% of your sales. Magical."

Is it gestures based, such as a xxxxx of a finger?

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Hard to say since most patent infringement suits are settled out of court and may involve cross licensing. Is licensing winning or losing?

I would consider most settlements outside a court to be a winning move.
And cross licensing usually opens positive future collaborative opportunities between opposing sides.
Who knows, maybe Apple decides to buy Lodsys if considers it to be a wise move.

programmasters

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2011
powned

lodsys is soooo powned.
Even if lodsys wanted to pursue legal action, apple's has an army of advocates lodsys wouldn't know what hit them. The best thing for lodys to do is to back off. And they should because a patent for a button is really not a patent in my eyes, it is more public domain. So if lodsys wanted to push thru and make a button a patented thing, it would be working against the progress of society.

there are a reason why lodsys is called a patent troll, and one off them is no one really likes lodsys and it has no real purpose except to work against society.

i know it is already a patent but this patent shouldn't be a patent

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.