Apple bands not so outrageously $ after all

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Accessories' started by HowlinAl, May 22, 2015.

1. HowlinAl macrumors regular

HowlinAl

I'm still awaiting delivery of my SS, but like a lot of us I've been eagerly shopping 3rd party bands and a few things are becoming clear to me.

First, $150 for a good leather band or even the $450 for a steel link bracelet is not ridiculous; it's in fact quite reasonable. Most really nice leather bands I've shopped for are far more expensive that Apple's. And steel links? Forget about it. Crazy expensive.

Secondly, the third party bands all look awful so far. Even the 'steel' link bands that everyone is oohing and aaahing over look like the cheap band from a $15 Seiko. Thanks to you folks buying these bands so the rest of us can see.... But yuck, they all look horrible and cheap.

I was definitely one of those 'WTF? I'll wait for just as good 3rd party bands,' but now I think I'll just save some money for a nice Apple band.

2. DavidLynch macrumors 6502a

Enjoy, I don't think Apple's look any better than some of the $50ish ones people have been posting. That's what opinions are for though.

3. HowlinAl thread starter macrumors regular

HowlinAl

Yes, different strokes and all that. I'm sure I'll have some cheap bands too.

But I've definitely reevaluated my original opinion that Apple's bands were stupidly overpriced. For the quality you seem to get (still early days, after all), I haven't seen anything better. Opinions are ultimately meaningless, I guess, but I haven't seen a single Milanese band yet, for example, that looks even close to as good as Apple's.

I hope things change and we do see some high quality, inexpensive 3rd party bands. I'll admit it though... My earlier opinions of how Apple was being Apple with these ridiculous band prices just showed how ignorant I was about watches and bands.

4. DavidLynch macrumors 6502a

I'll agree with you on the Milanese. Any third party band I've seen would be settling for me and I'd definitely consider Apple's band when it is in stores.

5. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

It has never been reasonable. A Tag Heuer Classic 2000 stainless steel bracelet costs 250 USD. And it is a Tag, not a 1 gen gadget.

Quality is also questionable. Check the threads dealing with the band quality, including the Milanese.

A Seiko for 15 USD?

6. jefftroll macrumors member

I'm on the same page as the OP. I have been watching the forums while waiting on my 42 mm SS Milanese to arrive ( late June ) in hopes to see a nice sport band alternative to apples $50 offering. There have been a few decent leather bands with adapters that don't look that bad but I have not seen any sport alternatives worth buying as of today. Some of the aliexpress offerings rip the photos straight from apples site but no one has posted any actual photo of the product. I'm guessing they have not shipped yet.

I plan on running with my watch a few times a week but wanted the Milanese loop for work and social outings. I will need a sport band and it will need to be comfortable. I'm starting to think ill be happier in the long run with apples $50 band versus a knock off for $20. My wife has 38mm SS with WSB and she loves the feel of the band.

I'm going to hold out since it still looks like mid-late June before I'll see my watch and the black sports bands should be in stores by then. If nothin shows up on the forums by then I'll just walk into one of the three local Apple stores and buy one.

7. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

You can find crazy expensive watch accessories because there are crazy expensive watches out there. And yes, the current third party bands designed specifically for the Apple Watch suck, because they were rushed out from cheap wholesalers using best guesses.

Once solid Apple approved third party bands come out, I think the Apple Watch bands will be considered to be somewhat overpriced (depending on the band in question, I think the leather ones could be made for a similar quality at a lower price, maybe not the milanese loop).

If you need another band right now, then the Apple ones are the best you can buy, so the value proposition may be worthwhile. Once we get more good quality choices at a range of prices, the value proposition of the Apple bands will drop.

8. HowlinAl thread starter macrumors regular

HowlinAl

Oops I meant to say Casio, but whatever. Like Seiko, Casio, Timex, etc. sells cheap under $100 watches with bands that look a lot better than most of the third party stuff. If people think these bands so far look ok, they should take a look a look at the bands on just about any cheap watch and compare.

I've been shopping for some nice leather bands. A lot of the nicer generic ones out there for other watches are way pricier than Apple's. Not being a watch guy, I was totally unaware of what to expect of a high quality band. Again, I think a lot of us are learning the Apple bands are a pretty good deal after all. I hope 3rd party bands get better. I'm not too optimistic that they'll get a LOT better.

9. Glene macrumors 6502

I received a monowear leather brown band yesterday, it is high quality, fits perfect and the adapters wrork as advertised and match the stainless. It's half the $ of the apple buckle and worth every penny. Yes the Apple band is overpriced.
    [​IMG]

10. HowlinAl thread starter macrumors regular

HowlinAl

I've ordered the Milanese as my 2nd band. Once I tried it on, I was sold. The other Milanese bands I've seen so far, even pricier ones for other watches, look like they are made out of chain link fence compared to Apple's. It looks better than any Milanese band I've seen yet at any price.

11. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

I guess it all depends on your priorities. I've spent thousands on things that most people wouldn't even accept for free. Some may get $450 worth of enjoyment out of the Apple link bracelet, but I'd much rather buy the $40 Hoco link bracelet and pocket the difference. And the third party bands are just going to get better as more are designed specifically for the watch and not just existing bands that are converted.

12. markol macrumors member

do you have any more photos of that band with the watch?

13. InAustralia macrumors 6502

InAustralia

It might be $250 for that particular model, but a replacement Stainless Steel Link bracelet for my Tag Heuer was around the $1000 mark when I was looking to get a replacement.

The Apple Stainless Steel Link Bracelet is not cheap (I purchased one), and there are things I don't link about the band (such as not having the ability to make micro adjustments in the event your ideal size is between links). I would also prefer a different clasp mechanism too (the dual clasp can be fiddly at times). However the detachable links and the craftsmanship which went into them is fantastic.

Whilst the Apple watch bands do have a premium price attached, the price premium is not as large you would expect.

14. HowlinAl thread starter macrumors regular

HowlinAl

That one does look nice. I also agree that it looks to be worth every penny. But, again, I'm talking about bands that are in the same price range as Apple's own bands. Looking at nicer, higher quality bands, a watch ignoramus like me can quickly see that quality watch bands are very expensive. Especially leather bands. Very easy to find leather bands in the $250 range that are only debatably as good or better than Apple's.

My opinion in no way means I'm implying you are wrong or stupid to disagree and love your band, blah blah. I'm just wondering if I'm alone in thinking Apple's watch bands, considering their looks and quality, are a pretty good deal after all.

15. GrindedDown macrumors 6502a

You know, after owning the sports band for a day now I had it in my hand that the band was overpriced at even just $50. It may be mildly so, but I have owned many rubberized straps and bands and I have to say it is easily the most comfortable one I've owned. It also has a surprisingly nice fit and finish to it.

I really doubt and any third parties knock offs will be able to create one that matches it on both the fit and finish.

The other bands really don't seem so bad. The one that worries me the most is the leather loop honestly. I love the way it looks and I want to buy one in blue pretty badly, but I keep hearing about issues with the feel and comfort of it. It looks like it should be super soft and luxurious to wear, but I'm getting the impression that it is not. There is a product that I bet can be done as well for less money. Could be wrong though.

That stainless steel link bracelet seems totally reasonable to me as well.

16. jefftroll macrumors member

Your brown monowear leather appears to have a better fit than the black one that was posted in another thread. I think monowear is constantly updating the process.

I'm on the edge to order two, red for my wife's 38mm SS and brown or black leather for my 42SS. You can still pledge on kick starter for $110 and get 2 watch bands. Thats 2 leather bands for $40 less than 1 apple band so I'm tempted.

If you could post more photos of that brown band fit from different angles I'm sure we would all appreciate it.

17. Bmc401 macrumors newbie

I believe the apple bands, including the link band are more than likely quality craftsmanship like all Apple products.

However, it's main problem is the fact that it fits only the Apple Watch - it can't be used for any other watch. Yes, you can argue that you can buy a really nice stainless steel band that you could use for multiple bands for a number of years. But as we all here (the ones with watches in hand) are early adopters, we will be inclined to buy the next generation AW when it's released. I imagine the next version will use the same bands, but it's not guarenteed. What about the 3rd or 4th? Somewhere down the road, the watch will become too thin or its physical design will change enough that the AW1 bands will not work. If I am to continue to buy the latest and greatest, the $450 link band could only possibly only be "good" for me for a year. I could then sell it along with my AW1 as I upgrade, but I would do so at a loss in value.

All of these other stainless steel bands you can buy for a "normal" watch can be expected to be useful for years.. Not so with apple bands. That's why I find it hard to spend the up charge for them.

18. gusping macrumors 6502

They are. My classic buckle (£130) was very poor quality and felt horrible. Made me return my whole watch.

19. aloecool macrumors regular

How? I don't see that option anywhere

20. rosario1990 macrumors regular

21. IllusionEntity macrumors 6502

IllusionEntity

I think they're worth the money. I love my BCB and LB ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432917275.569122.jpg

22. webworks415 macrumors 6502

You can compare it to materials used and say an iPad leather case is only $79, or whatever it costs. But when something becomes wearable, a piece of fashion, there's always that markup. It's all about branding. If you don't give a damn that you have on a band made by Apple...just hold off and pay less for something by Griffin, or Spigen, or whoever decides to make accessories. I'm sure actual fashion brands will make bands for the AW and those will cost more than Apple's.

23. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

Side note: that might be the best shot I've seen yet of the link bracelet; and that face compliments it well!

As for third party bands, I'm hoping to pick some up when companies like Incase or similar begin to make bands. I'd like to pick up some casual bands in different colors with some fun patterns. Maybe some that are more like cloth. I'd also like to get a band that has a built-in bumper case for when I do yard work and still want to track my fitness goals, check for rain and take messages or calls since my AirPort Extreme AC has some pretty crazy range. Would make it easier to pop it in and go in all one piece as opposed to getting a sport band that I have to connect and disconnect in addition to the case each time I want to pop out into the garage and work on something.

24. IllusionEntity macrumors 6502

IllusionEntity

Thanks! I try

25. CjonesHouston macrumors 6502a

CjonesHouston