Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has restricted employee use of ChatGPT and other external artificial intelligence utilities amid the development of its own similar technology, The Wall Street Journal reports.

chatgpt-for-iphone-feature.jpg

According to a document seen by The Wall Street Journal and individuals who claim to be familiar with the matter, Apple is concerned that AI tools could leak the company's confidential data. In addition to ChatGPT, Apple has barred staff from using GitHub's Copilot, a tool that helps write code with autocompletion.

Many businesses, such as banks, financial services, and healthcare institutions, have avoided adopting ChatGPT out of fear that their employees could inadvertently give the chatbot sensitive proprietary information. Samsung banned employee use of generative AI utilities like ChatGPT after discovering that staff had uploaded sensitive source code to the platform. The company was said to be concerned that data transmitted to artificial intelligence platforms including Bing and Google Bard could end up being disclosed to other users. JPMorgan Chase and Verizon have similarly banned use of these AI tools.

OpenAI has already sold Morgan Stanley a private ChatGPT service that allows employees to ask questions and analyze content in thousands of the bank's market research documents. Microsoft is working on a version of ChatGPT targeted at business customers to address privacy concerns.

The move comes in the context of Apple apparently working on its own large language models and AI technologies, led by senior vice president of Machine Learning and AI Strategy John Giannandrea. Giannandrea previously worked for Google and now reports directly to Apple CEO Tim Cook. The Wall Street Journal did not provide more information about what Apple's AI efforts encompass at this time.

OpenAI's ChatGPT has been accessible on the web and via several third-party iOS apps for some time, but yesterday the company released the first official ChatGPT app for the iPhone and iPad.

Article Link: Apple Bans Employees From Using ChatGPT Amid Its Own AI Efforts

Last edited:

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
It’s interesting that Apple doesn’t trust Microsoft not to steal their information. I would think if they were serious about it they’d do what Morgan Stanley did and buy a private instance. It’s not like they don’t have the money, or that it’s not something they need to be looking into very seriously.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I’m not sure how Apple can enforce this rule. It’s a super useful program and unfortunately Pandora’s box has been opened.
I work for a large healthcare company. They recently blocked company wide access to Chat-GPT. Employees who need it have to request special access and be approved. Of course this is only when inside the company firewall and on company owned hardware. They couldn’t block me from installing/using it on my personal device.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I have a question about the ChatGPT app that Juli used to illustrate this post: Does the Whisper feature (that uses our own voice to communicate with the app) upload and keep our voice on the company’s servers? Thank you

Reactions: centauratlas

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
"Apple is concerned that AI tools could leak the company's confidential data"

WOW... if your IQ is under, say, 90, surely you have problems creating prompts NOT having anything project/company-specific. But not for anyone with higher IQ - and that's the VAST MAJORITY of anything non-third-world country.

I too use GPT-4 for programming (it REALLY speeds up everything!) but make absolutely sure no confidential info is left in any kind of code / questions I post as prompts.

Apple shoots themselves in their foot as they're now reducing the effectiveness / speed of their coders.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.