Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SteveMobs

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2008
Washington D.C.
Hopefully it's the first nail in Facebook's coffin. I'm really start to get tired of it and I could see how it would annoy Apple if people come into their stores just to check facebook. Good looks apple.

liquidtrend

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2008
HOUSTON, TX
sounds good. now if they could only put an age restriction on the built in cameras. i hate standing in line as grade school children take pictures of themselves, then with julie and stacy, then just stacy, the just julie and stacy...and repeat with every effect possible.

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
Personally I think Apple should, within reason, let folk do what they want on the in-store demo units. The point is that people are in the stores and using Macs. Even if they just ran in to check the train times, they got to experience a Mac first hand and the idea is that the experience will be positive and stay with them.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
sounds good. now if they could only put an age restriction on the built in cameras. i hate standing in line as grade school children take pictures of themselves, then with julie and stacy, then just stacy, the just julie and stacy...and repeat with every effect possible.

I approve of this move as well, but what you said about testing PhotoBooth is completely different, IMO. PhotoBooth is one of those fun features that Apple wants kids to be hooked on.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I think its a great move for several reasons (besides my loathing of what it has done to my generation). The most important being that I have personally walked into the apple store, opened safari and instantly had access to at least 6 peoples facebooks (with revealing information such as location). For some reason people just cant seem to figure out they need to log out, ESPECIALLY on a public computer.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
The stores usually set Safari so that no cookies or any form information is kept.

I guess people change those settings, but if done correctly, it shouldn't be a problem.

redwarrior

macrumors 603
Apr 7, 2008
in the Dawg house
Hopefully it's the first nail in Facebook's coffin. I'm really start to get tired of it and I could see how it would annoy Apple if people come into their stores just to check facebook. Good looks apple.
Killing Facebook is like getting rid of grocery stores cause people try to give away kittens at the front door. This has nothing to do with Facebook specifically, only in keeping people from abusing the ability to use the demo computers with no intention of buying.:)

The stores usually set Safari so that no cookies or any form information is kept.

I guess people change those settings, but if done correctly, it shouldn't be a problem.
I would think they could use some form of deep freeze.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008

I meant people just leave the store without logging out and have their page open to whoever goes on next.

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
http://tinycomb.com/2009/02/05/apple-store-bans-facebook-for-life/

Thoughts?

Personally, I'm glad they've made this decision. Less people just wasting time in there, more time for people to experience the computers.

they banned myspace awhile ago. its really annoying when the teeny boppers come in and just play with photobooth FOR HOURS doing stupid stuff and load it up on facebook (or myspace back then before it was banned). Its about time it was banned in my opinion

hacksaw-C87

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2009
Birmingham England
Facebook has a limited shelf-life for each individual user: either you grow out of it and it loses its appeal or the specific reasoning for your usage of the site goes, i.e. spreading the word for a business/charity/good cause etc. I still think facebook has a valuable part to play in social networking, it' just that each person gets tired of it within a limited time and then new, more fresh faced, young'uns come along to take up the mantle.

As for Apple banning it in stores I personally think it's a good move but, playing devil's advocat, Ahem.

This is a bad move because it will put off younger users who want to come in and try out Macs as they might see Apple as somewhat 'closing-their-doors' to them.

What do people think?

schizoidwoman

macrumors regular
I think it's a really good move but I am not so sure about it being a) primarily teens and b) a limited shelf-life with users.

In our department there are at least three people who are always all over Facebook; all are women in the their mid to late thirties and all have been "Facebook, Facebook, Facebook" for well over a year now. Not having Facebook is considered really odd and you are always asked why you haven't and why you don't think it's as wonderful as they do. Personally, I think they answered the question themselves when one of them changed her status to "eating a baked potato" and then, at the end of lunch, changed it to "thinking about the potato I just ate"... it's really earth-shattering stuff, people!

hacksaw-C87

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2009
Birmingham England
That's a fair point. But maybe facebook's utility for your friends is just a Mid-Thirties insecurity? Slightly harsh maybe lol. I hate the status function... I've got a friend who regularly updates his status from 'chilled' to 'quite chilled' or 'well chilled'. Enlightening.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
That's a fair point. But maybe facebook's utility for your friends is just a Mid-Thirties insecurity? Slightly harsh maybe lol. I hate the status function... I've got a friend who regularly updates his status from 'chilled' to 'quite chilled' or 'well chilled'. Enlightening.

im amused, quite amused, and well amused by your friend:p

schizoidwoman

macrumors regular

In one case, you definitely right about the insecurity and, unlike your friend, she's never, ever chilled... her status is usually a place to rant (I know this because she reads out her status to her other FB friend across the room at the start of every day).

I just realised - they are verbally Facebooking!

hacksaw-C87

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2009
Birmingham England
I hate it when social conventions become verbs. I facebook, You facebook, He/She/It facebooks. Eurggh. Can you imagine in hundreds of years time? Apple will have probably released some sort of 'Learn to Speak Old English' program teaching small children to speak? ...Bet it wont be banned from the Apple store then.

SimonTheSoundMa

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2006
Birmingham, UK
Personally I think Apple should, within reason, let folk do what they want on the in-store demo units. The point is that people are in the stores and using Macs. Even if they just ran in to check the train times, they got to experience a Mac first hand and the idea is that the experience will be positive and stay with them.
I have noticed new style HMV stores with their 20-30 computers that can be used for the web in each store seem to have had a big effect with kids wasting time in the Apple Stores. Apple stores seem to be empty, and HMV heaving. Good to know all these computers are iMacs.

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
Great move. I hate people using the place as a glorified internet café

mogzieee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
London, UK
GOOD. I hate all the hipsters that hang around dicking around on Facebook when I really want to go and test a product I want to buy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.