Apple batteries

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by DELTAsnake, Jan 4, 2011.

1. DELTAsnake macrumors 6502

DELTAsnake

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I need more rechargeable batteries as I've used up all the ones that come with the Apple charger. Since Apple doesn't sell them separate I'm just wondering if I go get some Sanyo batteries will they work for sure with my Apple charger since they are similar or is there a chip in them to stop them working with 3rd party batteries like on a notebook battery?

2. John T macrumors 68020

John T

3. DELTAsnake thread starter macrumors 6502

DELTAsnake

Cool thanks.

4. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

Not only that, it is widely believed that Apple's rechargeable AA batteries are, in fact, rebranded Sanyo Eneloops.

FYI, there are both "normal" and "low self-discharge" NiMH rechargeables (the most common type in use for AA/AAA-type batteries today). Eneloops and Apple's AAs are the low self-discharge kind, as are Rayovac Hybrids and most that you can find labeled as "precharged." Many are not. While many "normal" ones have a higher capacity, it discharges quickly over time, which--as the name implies--does not happen with LSD-type batteries. They're both OK for different uses, but I prefer LSDs, and I suspect you will too if you like Apple's.

Just something to look out for if you didn't know. :D (Although since you said that they were similar, you probably do know already...)

5. nutmac macrumors 68040

Frankly, I think you are much better off buying new Sanyo Eneloop anyway.

The kit is available from Amazon.com (about $30) or Costco ($25.99). Not only it includes more batteries (8 AAs and 4 AAAs vs. 6 AAs), it can charge 4 at once (vs. 2) and it includes newer Eneloop with higher recharge cycles (1500 times vs. 1000) and slower discharge rate.

You can pick up the batteries only at other electronic stores (e.g., $14.99 for 4 AAs at Adorama).